• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra PLUS problem: HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex4659

hi all,

Ive acquired an astro spectra plus model that wont read in astro 25 cps... but i will read in astro cps R05.02.00?

I have the firmware for the Astro spectra plus and im wondering if this can fix it?

FYI its a consolette w7 model but i have it installed in my truck as an w9 configuration.

Anyone that knows to fix this radio please let me no.

thanks

PJH

Premium Subscriber
If its reading and writing with ASTRO Spectra CPS, its NOT an AS+.

They did have upgrade/replacement boards to convert an AS to an AS+, but that means it would be read/write with ASTRO25 CPS.

Bascially, you bought an ASTRO Spectra prob with an AS+ label on it.

No amount of firmware will "fix" this problem. The two radios use completely different vocon/command board (whatever you want to call it).

If you bought it off of ebay, I think I saw that auction. The seller was convinced that it was, or knowingly lied that is was an AS+ was it was clearly not.

ResQguy

Meh
You say it WILL read with Astro CPS? OK, what does it say as a model number in the codeplug?

alex4659

the model number in CPS R05.02.00 reads: L04Uxxxxxxxx i cant remember the other numbers and letters at this time.

But on the back of the radio itself is:

L20URS9PW1AN

Attachments

• IMG_20111020_203050.jpg
    IMG_20111020_203050.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,883

PJH

Premium Subscriber
My guess is that someone just swapped boards in the drawer. In any case, you have a regular Astro spectra...so really there is nothing to fix.

alex4659

So I can't flash the astro spectra plus firmware back into it?

If I can, what cables do I need to flash it.
I have a rib box and cable to the consolette and I also have an xtl5000 w head programming cable if I need it.

What are the steps to flash the firmware back into the radio?

I have astro 25 mobile CPS and astro spectra CPS...

Thanks

PJH

Premium Subscriber
No no no no. Your not reading the previous posts.

The difference between the ASTRO Spectra and the ASTRO Spectra Plus is ONLY a single hardware board. You CANNOT flash, firmware, create or otherwise turn one radio into the other by software means. The control heads, cables, power amp etc are the same between the radios EXCEPT the VOCON board, specifically part number HLN6837. HLN6837 is what makes the PLUS a PLUS. If you put an ASTRO Spectra VOCON in a radio that was created as an ASTRO Spectra PLUS, you just made that radio an ASTRO Spectra.

Again, the radio you have...someone took the board out of it and replaced it with an ASTRO Spectra VOCON...making that radio you have an ASTRO Spectra ONLY.

You can reference Motorola manual 68P81095C21-O which details the conversion of an ASTRO Spectra to an ASTRO Spectra Plus.

This upgrade allows existing ASTRO Digital Spectra mobile radios to be upgraded to the ASTRO Digital Spectra Plus mobile radio, which enables the 9600-baud feature set of P25 trunking systems. This upgrade provides the capability necessary to operate the data and system features that will be available in the respective releases on the integrated voice and data (IV&D) system designs (6.05 and higher system releases).

This upgrade can be performed on the different hardware versions of the ASTRO Digital Spectra mobile radios, including the 512K and 1M versions and all control head types. Existing 800MHz ASTRO Digital Spectra radios, operating in Voice Only applications and wishing to upgrade to 9600-baud trunking, will not require this VOCON board upgrade to an ASTRO Digital Spectra Plus. A FLASHport™ upgrade (G361) is available for this purpose.

The upgrade kit, H1794, does not provide FLASHport upgrades. If an upgrade to existing capabilities is required, such as Smartnet to Smartzone, a FLASHport upgrade must be purchased. Contact your sales representative for details.

The following is a bill of materials for upgrade kit H1794:
1 HLN6837 VOCON Board
4 0312016A27 Screws
1 3385054E01 Label

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.