• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra PLUS programming cable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Is this radio able to be programmed using the same medium as spectras and astro spectras or is HKN6155 necessary? I'm unable to read the radio using my serial -> RIB -> DB15 radio setup. (With Astro25 Mobile)

Thanks

mancow

Database Admin
No, they use different cables. The logic is the same as the XTS2500/5000 portables. A regular RIB is not used.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
thanks! As great as batlabs is and unless I'm an idiot, there isn't a single mention of that over there.

I guess it's time to hack up a mic and make a cable...

mancow

Database Admin
It programs through the back 15 pin. I built one a while back using a max233 chip. It uses four data lines and ground. Any XTS series cable can be modded to work by adapting the lines to a 15 pin connector.

mancow

Database Admin
Wait, I'm a moron. It doesn't use a max chip. I was thinking of something else.

Anyway, I think I found a home made cable. I no longer have a plus to test it but will try checking against the manual to see if it looks correct.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
if you'd be willing to part with that cable, I will gladly send you some funds via paypal to save me a trip to the closet for my soldering iron and/or whatever else

mancow

Database Admin
If it's the right one I will sell it. Just be aware it's home made. I got busy and was unable to check it out but I will get back with you soon and we can go from there. You might send me a PM just to remind me.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
I kindof need to get this thing up and running as I just purchased this through ebay and have no idea of testing it without programming it. If you or anyone on here knows of a schematic somewhere for the programming cable I would be tickled pink! thanks

mancow

Database Admin
This is what I have by looking at my cable.

9 pin serial_________15 pin

2-----------------------------11
3-----------------------------13
5------------------------------8
7------------------------------9
__________________5 = ignition sense

mancow

Database Admin
WAIT

missed one

9 pin serial_________15 pin

2-----------------------------11
3-----------------------------13
5------------------------------8
7------------------------------9
8------------------------------1
__________________5 = ignition sense

Last edited:

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
no dice. Radio failed to ack. c0000386 Something seems odd to me, are there any other shorts in that setup or are they all just pin for pin connections?

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
at least this time I saw a quick blip of the TX LED at the same time my PC bonked with the error msg. so "something" is happening

Status
Not open for further replies.