• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ASTRO Spectra Without a Control Head?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steele_lpd

I know it is possible to pull audio from the 2nd 25-pin connector on a high power ASTRO Spectra. Is it possible to power and use the radio as a stand alone receiver without a control head? Obviously I would need to make a 25-pin cable to plug into the 1st port to make up for the ignition sense and so on.

If not, can I put a W4, W5, W7, or W9 head on a W3 radio by just changing a few settings in the software?

I got a W3 radio for a great price and want to dedicate it to a few P25 channels that I monitor. I have the ability to program the radio so that's not an issue.

mancow

Database Admin
Yep go over to batlabs and they discuss it on the analog spectra page if I recall correctly.

SCPD

QRT
You can put a different control head on it but you will get an error. The radio should still work. The only way to change the type of control head so the radio will accept it is to change the model number. Unlike the analog spectra you cannot change the control head in the programming software or bit bang it. To change the model number you will need a S-record with the same model number, except the control head portion. Also make sure that the flashcode is the same or close to it, don't get one the is not digital. You will need Astro mobile lab software not the same software as the CPS.
Just change the front of the radio from remote mount to dash mount, if it is not high power. If it is a high power radio just install it like a remote mount with any other control head.

Status
Not open for further replies.