• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6256

Hello
I just purchased a Astro Spectra model# T99DX+130W D04UJF9PW4AN 800MHz. I have tried to read the radio using Astro Spectra CPS--Astro Spectra Plus CPS and Astro 25 CPS--all give error message "Radio Failed to acknowledge". I have also used the 25 pin to 25 pin program cable with rib---the accessary program cable and the ribless mic program cable, all give the same type message. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

clbsquared

Astro 25 Mobile CPS is used on the Spectra Plus. Regular Astro CPS is for the Astro Spectra. You have a mid power Spectra. Which should use the rear accessory plug for programming. What version of CPS are you using?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mike6256

I have tried on a true serial port on an xp machine and usb on a xp laptop..I have both a after market rib and oe rib..all do the same

clbsquared

And you've supplied power to the red wire on the accessory connector? The model number shows its a dash mount. Has it been converted to a remote mount? If so, the head needs to be connected and powered on as well. Also, is there a specific number that's referenced to the error?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

mike6256

I do have the red wire connected to BATT + and the error code is 24. As far as the conversion I would assume it has--I crossed to a dash mount also but it is a trunk mount

mike6256

Well after numerous hours of surfing on the net I found some info that said on some spectra radios that have had the remote mount upgrade-the control head must be put back on the radio for programming.
I will be trying this tonight after I get off work. Will update later

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I think he believes that the radio must be converted to a dash mount before it can be programmed.

I've always used the 15 pin connector on the back of the drawer unit. Never had a problem with any of the radios I've owned.

mike6256

Well converted the radio back to dash mount and still can not get the radio to read

wcu02mpa

RIB most likely

I have years of experience with spectra, spectra plus and XTL series. The analog spectras have a bad time with a non OEM RIB. Make sure you are using an OEM RIB and make sure you have com-1 port selected. You have to use the rear port connector.

cmdrwill

The analog Spectras have a bad time with a non OEM RIB. Make sure you are using an OEM RIB and make sure you have com-1 port selected. You have to use the rear port connector.

'Analog' Spectras or not same problem(s).
The Motorola RIB has had problems from day one. Who ever "engineered" the RIB had NO clue about Serial RS232 standards. Simple answer is the RIB does not work to RS232 standards. And we let Motorola know this way back, and they ignored the problems.

And all the knock off RIBs have the same problem.

Is there a fix, yes, there are fixes. How do I know, we 'fixed' hundreds of them.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just as MikeOxlong stated, he needs to use the 15 pin port to program. That will solve the problem.

mike6256

I have the15 pin port cable and OEM Rib connected now--Just tried reading the radio and get "Communication with radio failed"

mike6256

As far as the head powering up YES--all works--There is one channel programmed and I can receive and transmit on that channel

Status
Not open for further replies.