• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Astro25 CPS Error: Cannot Read Without Advanced Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsauve

Astro25 CPS Error: Cannot Write Without Advanced Keys

So I purchased a Motorola XTS-2500 off of ebay so I could eventually have the county put it on the radio system for when my agency switches over. I go to read the radio with my CPS to make sure the radio works correctly. I can read the radio just fine, however, when I go to program it, the CPS errors out and says "Cannot write without advanced keys".

I looked at the trunking parameters and it appears that all trunking related options are at the defaults. I send the radio back to the seller saying that I cant do anything with this radio and he sends me another one. The replacement radio from this seller has the same exact issue, "Cannot write without advanced keys". Can simply having trunking enabled in an XTS make the advanced key error pop up or is this a case where someone acquired surplus and the former agency did not clear the system key correctly.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
is this a case where someone acquired surplus and the former agency did not clear the system key correctly.

Most likely they above. Once an XTS/XTL is hit with an ASK, it will always require an ASK to write to it.

Of course there are ways around it, but it involves using tools other than standard CPS...

this is the problem with eBay flippers who have no idea what they have and what is involved in getting a radio working properly on a system. I will add that any used radio of unknown origin should be properly vetted by a qualified technician, at least run it through an auto-tune procedure at minimum on a service monitor, before placing it into public safety service.

zsauve

Most likely they above. Once an XTS/XTL is hit with an ASK, it will always require an ASK to write to it.

Of course there are ways around it, but it involves using tools other than standard CPS...

this is the problem with eBay flippers who have no idea what they have and what is involved in getting a radio working properly on a system. I will add that any used radio of unknown origin should be properly vetted by a qualified technician, at least run it through an auto-tune procedure at minimum on a service monitor, before placing it into public safety service.

Since I can read the radio at least, does this mean that the agency removed their programming? Also, since my county uses advanced system keys on their radio, will it allow them to read/write the radio without any issues or do they have to have the originating agencies ASK.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You should be able to read and write to the same serial number as long as you don't change any trunking information which would require a key (software or ASK). Should also be able to delete the old trunking system (hint, create a new one and delete the original) without keys.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

MCore25 i did try what you just posted on a radio few months ago it did NOT work was asking for the ASK to program.

Interesting. I did it last week…with an XTL1500 with R20.01.00. I do that a lot…save a cqodeplug if I can prior to sending a radio to depot then just writing it when it gets back (and has never asked for the ASK).

zsauve

You should be able to read and write to the same serial number as long as you don't change any trunking information which would require a key (software or ASK). Should also be able to delete the old trunking system (hint, create a new one and delete the original) without keys.

I'll have to give it a try when I get home from work. Hopefully this is all that needs to be done to fix the error. Otherwise i probably have a pretty expensive paperweight on my hands here

RFI-EMI-GUY

Very good advice. Sellers often have no clue as to what they are selling. For older radios, the radio frequency band splits are impossible to determine from the radio model number. The options flashed into the radio are unknown. The condition and performance often unknown.

You have to ask the right questions and know the correct answer. Some sellers are astute enough to provide the correct information, but most are not.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
Since I can read the radio at least, does this mean that the agency removed their programming? Also, since my county uses advanced system keys on their radio, will it allow them to read/write the radio without any issues or do they have to have the originating agencies ASK.

The radio was programmed with an ASK with write protect. Hence it needs an ASK to reprogram the unit. If your agency/county uses an ASK to add your programming that will suffice and allow you to reprogram. Many agencies use right protect when building ASK's to keep people from changing settings in a radio. This eliminates the need for a code plug password however requires an ASK for any future changes.

Project25_MASTR

The radio was programmed with an ASK with write protect. Hence it needs an ASK to reprogram the unit. If your agency/county uses an ASK to add your programming that will suffice and allow you to reprogram. Many agencies use right protect when building ASK's to keep people from changing settings in a radio. This eliminates the need for a code plug password however requires an ASK for any future changes.
That explains the disconnect. We are structured in such a manner where the city keeps the ASKs except for a shop or two which managed to get them through politics. Everyone else simply gets clone keys and codeplug are password protected (though a few techs have been distributing the modified CPS around their shops which ignores passwords).

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
There used to be a application called CPFix that would remove the need for ASK. It used to be available on the P25.ca forums, its still out there in the wild if you look hard enough just FYI.

hammyeric9200

ASK's

Don't send your radio back to Depot, just find then "use" depot. I've had to learn this the hard way. After a successful write, re-read then save that as a default plug and start editing as you see fit. Should defeat the ASK's. Manual programming can be time consuming. Make sure you understand what you're doing while using this method and above all, use responsibly.

zsauve

As an update to this whole ordeal, I had my motorola dealer re-flash the radio as i needed some features added to the flashcode anyway. The re-flash wiped the ASK and codeplug, leaving me with a default configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.