AT&T’s $40 billion emergency response network FirstNet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim202

Unless I was asleep when I read the posting a few weeks ago, I believe that New Hampshire opted out of this boondoggle by the feds that AT&T has been given the green light to build. But the young author that wrote the article everyone is commenting about has made the statement that all 50 states have signed on.

It seems that the author may want to go back and double check his source of information on just how many states did not sign on to the new proposed network. I read a bunch of postings on many sites and I still am not sure just what the head count is on those states that have and have not decided to go with this proposed network.

The other interesting point is the fact that AT&T has given it's employees a $1000 bonus. Then they announced that it was making a massive layoff. Like if AT&T is dumping a large number of employees, how do they intend to install and fire up this new proposed network?

Something smells at AT&T on their actions so far.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Unless I was asleep when I read the posting a few weeks ago, I believe that New Hampshire opted out of this boondoggle by the feds that AT&T has been given the green light to build. But the young author that wrote the article everyone is commenting about has made the statement that all 50 states have signed on.

It seems that the author may want to go back and double check his source of information on just how many states did not sign on to the new proposed network. I read a bunch of postings on many sites and I still am not sure just what the head count is on those states that have and have not decided to go with this proposed network.

The other interesting point is the fact that AT&T has given it's employees a $1000 bonus. Then they announced that it was making a massive layoff. Like if AT&T is dumping a large number of employees, how do they intend to install and fire up this new proposed network?

Something smells at AT&T on their actions so far.

NH decides to opt in to FirstNet after all

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

*Every* state opted-in to the FirstNet plan (AT&T builds it model), as did PR, USVI and DC. NH changed their mind at the last minute and opted-in.
(the 3 Pacific Territories have a few more months before their decision is due)

Link: https://www.firstnet.gov/news/first-responder-network-goes-nationwide

First of all, those employees were more on the wireline side than the wireless side.
2nd, the network is already up in a sense...it's anywhere they have LTE today. Band 14 will be an addition. The dedicated network core will be new. So there is less to build than a "from scratch" network.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yeah, I'm dealing with some of that in our own department.

Had our chief tell me that "we" were getting forced to 700MHz.
Was told we "had" to go to P25.
I think I've got out in front of the FirstNet thing, though.

P25 was a good idea, but the vendors were given too much control over it. Prices should have been driven down, but that failed.

The "good old boy" network kept prices high, and forced these systems down the departments throats.

But, there is no mandate that departments adopt FirstNet. What needs to happen is public safety agencies need to think carefully, but that isn't their strong point when it comes to technology. Not any offense to them, but as public safety, some of the technology requires knowledgeable people involved, and that doesn't always happen.

And, yeah, the coverage is going to be a disappointment. Probably always will be. Hopefully AT&T will get their arm twisted into doing this right, but I have low expectations for the Federal or State government to make that happen. AT&T will find a loophole.

Here in FL when the analog 800 MHz and some P25 CAI yet proprietary 800 MHz systems got to a "certain age" (vendor planned obsolescence) , there was a bunch of mis-information spread by a certain vendor. You would see letters to city and county commission from staff claiming that "FCC mandated narrowbanding", was forcing them to upgrade their 800 MHz system to "mandatory digital standards". The vendor milked three upgrades out of one city, sold radios fully equipped with P25 CAI capability to operate on an entirely analog system. I tried to intervene telling them they could save a ton of money by buying P25 "capable" radios instead. For me it got to a point where lies were becoming truth and there was really little point in trying to inform because folks start to question any informed dissenter.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I am actually shocked about this and wonder what or who told them to get in line.
Why are you shocked?

State makes opt-in choice: No costs, no obligations, no network to build.
State makes opt-out choice: Huge costs, 20 years of obligations, massive network to build and keep technology fresh with the rest of the nationwide network for those 20 years.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Why are you shocked?

State makes opt-in choice: No costs, no obligations, no network to build.
State makes opt-out choice: Huge costs, 20 years of obligations, massive network to build and keep technology fresh with the rest of the nationwide network for those 20 years.

There are a few states small enough to roll their own, or already have such extensive 700/800 MHz infrastructure that they could build out largely on their own towers.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here in FL when the analog 800 MHz and some P25 CAI yet proprietary 800 MHz systems got to a "certain age" (vendor planned obsolescence) , there was a bunch of mis-information spread by a certain vendor. You would see letters to city and county commission from staff claiming that "FCC mandated narrowbanding", was forcing them to upgrade their 800 MHz system to "mandatory digital standards". The vendor milked three upgrades out of one city, sold radios fully equipped with P25 CAI capability to operate on an entirely analog system. I tried to intervene telling them they could save a ton of money by buying P25 "capable" radios instead. For me it got to a point where lies were becoming truth and there was really little point in trying to inform because folks start to question any informed dissenter.

Yeah, I've been through that a few times. So far I still have them on VHF analog, like every single other agency in the county. Motorola has sort of stopped sniffing around here after I gave them the boot last time. They tried to force me to P25 when I rebanded our 800MHz system. At the initial rebanding meeting we had, there were 3 Motorola technical guys there to talk about the work and 5 sales people to try and convince us we really needed P25. I put a stop to that discussion. Had Motorola drooling all over themselves when an adjacent county went to a Motorola system and they had eyes on one of my towers. One of the directors at work sort of told them they could have access to it. Put an end to that one, too.
Motorola sort of stopped bugging me a few years ago when they screwed up our narrow banding equipment order. Motorola is no longer welcome in my office.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
This is what I picture when I hear about AT&T's $40 billion emergency response network...

Attachments

• lead_large (Mobile).jpg
    lead_large (Mobile).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 158
Status
Not open for further replies.