Yaesu: ATAS-25 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
This is directed specifically at anyone who has experience with the Yaesu ATAS-25 antenna system. I'm planning to use mine for portable operation, such as SOTA activations.

I guess I'll just dive right in:

On the first page of the instructions is a chart showing the number of radiating elements to use for each particular band. For 28 MHz, one of the options is "No Connection"; for 50 MHz, "Do Not Connect"; and for 144 and 430 MHz, "Not Used." Can someone explain the difference between these to me? The "Not Used" for 144/430 seem pretty self-explanatory, but "No Connection" and "Do Not Connect" confuse me. It seems that if I took these instructions literally, I'd be setting it up the same as if I was operating on 144 or 430; I'm sure this isn't what they mean, though. I'm hoping someone out there experienced with the ATAS-25 can clarify for me what they're telling me to do.

Thanks in advance!

Kb2Jpd

This is directed specifically at anyone who has experience with the Yaesu ATAS-25 antenna system. I'm planning to use mine for portable operation, such as SOTA activations.

I guess I'll just dive right in:

On the first page of the instructions is a chart showing the number of radiating elements to use for each particular band. For 28 MHz, one of the options is "No Connection"; for 50 MHz, "Do Not Connect"; and for 144 and 430 MHz, "Not Used." Can someone explain the difference between these to me? The "Not Used" for 144/430 seem pretty self-explanatory, but "No Connection" and "Do Not Connect" confuse me. It seems that if I took these instructions literally, I'd be setting it up the same as if I was operating on 144 or 430; I'm sure this isn't what they mean, though. I'm hoping someone out there experienced with the ATAS-25 can clarify for me what they're telling me to do.

Thanks in advance!

63c1b87dc91eccb28eaa093ce203466f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kb2Jpd

The bottom part of the antenna is resonant on the FM portion of 10M to 430 Mhz. The shorter the element the higher the resonant frequency will be. I would suggest only using the HF aspects of the antenna since the design makes UHF very hard. Remember you will be using conventional feed witch will have substantial loss on UHF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the clarification! It would have saved me some confusion if they had been consistent with their terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.