Atcs antennas question help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkovardfd

Hello everyone. I’ve been a member for a while. I usually read the threads but now I have a question.

So I monitor Atcs on the UP in Dallas TX (Dallas Sub and Mineola Sub)- Dallas is a little weird Bc there is a section of track, approx 30 miles that is Atcs and then changes to Genisys the rest of the way. So, I have 4 mics that I use. To Monitor both the McP and BCP side of Atcs and Mcp and BCP side of Genisys. So currently I’m using a larsen 900 MHz antenna mag mount about to nmo mount it this week as my feed for all these. So,here is my ???

I know they make base station antennas. The ones with the long tube that looks like a long piece of pvc ( yes. I’m new to antennas ) But I was thinking if I could have a set up that I could put up when I am stationary monitoring trackside that I could use one of these more powerful antennas that I would mount to a pole that would be hoisted up and mount to my bed of my truck. Was thinking 15-20 feet up. With this, I have greater elevation and a stronger antenna that would receive my mcp signals if not mcp and BCP both better. I think it needs to be an Omni directional vs a directional. Or heck. Maybe could do both. I don’t know. Started talking to some guys and they started talking about ground plane and putting a spike in the ground... would anyone know how to go about getting something like this accomplished? Basically a big base station antenna for mobile monitoring while stationary. My mcp and BCP frequencies are 896/932/952 that I monitor mostly. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!!

prcguy

Yes, a bigger higher gain antenna that is higher in the air will increase distance. I've seen big 10ft long, 10dBD class antennas on Ebay that cover most of that frequency range for good prices surplus. You can also get a trailer hitch adapter that will hold an antenna mast. I use one of these with military surplus 5ft aluminum masts and can go up about 25ft with no guying. HF Antenna Hitch Mount for Ham Radio Yaesu & Icom rigs | eBay

kkovardfd

This is a great antenna for ATCS, but may be a bit large for what you are wanting to do.

Will it cover the 952 MHz as well? Bc id like to encompass not only Atcs but Genisys as well...

kkovardfd

How high to mount it is the next question????? You don’t want to lose your ground plane. Then you’ll be doing yourself an injustice. Any thoughts?

prcguy

At 900MHz height can be as important as gain. The higher you are the less stuff is in the way of the path between antenna and whatever you want to receive. At roof level you might have 100 houses or buildings in the way of what you want to receive. Put the antenna up 50ft and you cut a bunch of those houses or buildings out of the path.

kkovardfd

That makes sense. I just didn’t know if it would lose its ground plane if you got a certain height. But sounds like the Comet comes with radials that IS the ground plane. Makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.