ATCS Monitor for Railroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello. I am just going to post this here.

I am just wondering if there is anyone on here that uses ATCS to monitor the railroad subdivison for their area.

If so, where do you go to download it. Second what frequency do I need to enter into my scanner to be able to use it. After I download it and have my scanner hooked up to my computer, it should automatically show the subdivison for my area and all the trains that are out there.

Also on this program does it show the train symbols, like train number or train ID example: 101-23 (CP), to tell you what train is out there on the screen so you will know exactly what train is coming, just like it would show on a actual RTC Dispatchers screen or at a train station that the crews look at. Or does it just show green for there is a train and red there is another train waiting in the siding for another train.

Just curious so I can maybe try and start using this program to monitor the trains here to see where they are and all that.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks

Coolguy

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Railroad/Railfan forum where you'll get more answers.

Pretty sure in your neck of the woods there's no ATCS.

SCPD

QRT
Ok. I don't know if there is or not.

How do I tell if there is and if I am able to do this. Let me know. So I will know what to look for to see if we have it and if I can do this.

When I check on Polkaroo I come up with these 3 Freq's if they mean anything:

896.9375 935.9375 - CHAPLEAU, ON (AEI & MCP MI. 134.4) RAC/ACFC - CPR

896.9375 935.9375 CHAPLEAU, ON (MCP MI. 1.5) RAC/ACFC - CPR

911.5000 911.5000 N. CHAPLEAU YD., ON (AEI-SLU-M1.4) RAC/ACFC - CPR
911.5000 911.5000 CHAPLEAU, ON (AEI & MCP MI. 134.4) RAC/ACFC - CPR

If these mean anything let me know. Otherwise if they don't, then I guess I can't do it.

Thanks

Coolguy

dsw760

Go here for more info, ATCS Monitor for Windows
You will have to join the yahoo group in order to download.
No, The program does NOT show the train symbols, train number or train ID.
It will NOT automatically show the subdivison for your area unless you download the layout file for your area, if available.
The frequencies you listed (896.9375 935.9375) are ATCS frequencies.
Basically, the program will only show red and green signal indications, track occupancy and switch position.

SCPD

QRT
Ok. So all this pretty much shows is green for a train in the area that has a clear signal and a red line for a train in a siding or at a restricting signal.

So for the trains out on the subdivision, I won't know what trains they are since this program doesn't show any type of id's or anything, like it shows on a actual RTC Dispatchers screen or at a train station that the crews look at as well, where it actually shows the id's of the trains at the places along the subdivision.

Just wondering is there some way or whatever to get it to show those symbols or ID's, to show what trains are in that area and on the subdivision.

Ok, so if I eventually download this after and if I get approved on that yahoo site, there is a possibility all I will get is just a screen showing the signals and the green and red lines and no names for the subdivision or siding names. Unless there is a layout I can download for my area. If there is, I am from Canada, so where would I go to look and see if there is a layout to download for my area if there is one, otherwise this might not be any good to me, if there is none and if it then won't show anything with names or anything else like that on my screen, even though I know the subdivision, it just won't look right without any of that stuff on there.

Thanks again.

dsw760

Just wondering is there some way or whatever to get it to show those symbols or ID's, to show what trains are in that area and on the subdivision.

There is no way to show any train info using Atcs software as it is not transmitted by the Atcs system and there is NO way of manually entering that information.

so where would I go to look and see if there is a layout to download for my area if there is one, otherwise this might not be any good to me, if there is none and if it then won't show anything with names or anything else like that on my screen, even though I know the subdivision, it just won't look right without any of that stuff on there.

You would look in the files section, than data files, than choose the railroad name. If there is no layout for your subdivision Atcs monitor will not work for you at all. You need to have both the proper layout file AND data base file for this program to work.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You would look in the files section, than data files, than choose the railroad name. If there is no layout for your subdivision Atcs monitor will not work for you at all. You need to have both the proper layout file AND data base file for this program to work.

Not true.

It will still work but all it will show is the raw packets and bcp/mcp addresses.

You would then have some detective work ahead of you figuring out what track elements correspond to what addresses, what the different mnemonics represent and from that (and using Trackbuilder), you would design a layout.

There was no layout for my area so I spent quite a bit of time trackside recording the packets while trains passed through the various track elements and from that data, I was able to build a layout file.

SCPD

QRT
Ok Thanks for the info.

I tried to join that yahoo group but it looks like who ever is in control of it, denied my request.

So unless there is somewhere else for me to download it to try, then ok. Otherwise it looks like I won't be able to get access to that yahoo group for this.

dsw760

Not true.

It will still work but all it will show is the raw packets and bcp/mcp addresses.

You would then have some detective work ahead of you figuring out what track elements correspond to what addresses, what the different mnemonics represent and from that (and using Trackbuilder), you would design a layout.

You are correct. I have also built my own layout using Track builder and "decoded" the data packet mnemonics. Didn't know if wanted to go through all that effort. He would only get a few mcp addresses in range of his receiver, not the whole subdivision. He would also have to buy a copy of trackbuilder, US$40 last I checked.

I tried to join that yahoo group but it looks like who ever is in control of it, denied my request.

Sometimes it takes a while to get approved, may be a little longer with the holidays. So unless you received something from them saying you have been denied, give it a couple weeks.

SCPD

QRT
Ok. Because after I filled out a little thing on the main page in one section it said membership pending. Then a couple days later when I went to check it, it then said: Join Group. So to me that is telling me that my request has been denied. Otherwise it would or should still show Membership pending.

So unless someone on here knows the person who is in control of that site and can send him a message for me and tell them to accept me on there, so I can download and try this program out and see if it works here in my area or not.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.