Athens, OH - Some Athens Area Schools Getting Panic-Button Radio Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or does the reported in the video sound automated? LOL Also, anybody know what model Motos those are? Or if they are just a customized control head and the actual panic button is just programmed as such?

kf8yk

anybody know what model Motos those are? Or if they are just a customized control head and the actual panic button is just programmed as such?

Motorola APX6500 with O2 control head, control head has been modified for an extra large emergency button that takes the place of the volume knob. The button is very similar to an 'emergency stop' switch commonly found on industrial control panels. The volume function is programmed to some remaining buttons.

There's a decent photo of one of these here: New School Radio

sc800

I wonder how many false activations they would have in the first month of usage? The police and fire agencies get a lot with a small red button.

jparks29

John McClane
Sweet, so they can send body bags a little quicker. Because when seconds count, police are only minutes away.

Waste of taxpayer money. Feel good BS that won't do anything for the safety of schools or children..

Yet people it up like free KFC...

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Sweet, so they can send body bags a little quicker. Because when seconds count, police are only minutes away.

Waste of taxpayer money. Feel good BS that won't do anything for the safety of schools or children..

Yet people it up like free KFC...

the race to waste my friend.
radios won't stop bullets. But it sure makes people feel safer. So spend away! Money grows on trees! And in 5 years, it will be time for "phase xxx" which means more endless forklift upgrades!

Teachers trained and concealed carrying? School police officers? Who needs those! Buy more STUFF!

Motorola APX6500 with O2 control head, control head has been modified for an extra large emergency button that takes the place of the volume knob. The button is very similar to an 'emergency stop' switch commonly found on industrial control panels. The volume function is programmed to some remaining buttons.

There's a decent photo of one of these here: New School Radio

Thanks for the info. Do you know if these modified control heads are standard from Moto, or are the standard O2 heads modified in a local radio shop?

SCPD

QRT
The apx series is great. I think it's a good idea many schools started this while back and none in this region who have done this or started have not had any issues. Properly trained staff. Typically em is accidently pressed on public safety when a fire officer or officer is in a vehicle and something pokes the portable top or the radio is used as a hand rest. I use to have habit of that with the leather /\/\ cases and they stick out pretty good after time the belt loop holder wears causing the radio to sit out more being victim to rubbing and knocks on inner vehicle door or side console. Typically some wear the radio facing in to prevent both of those issues and not just to hide the front screen from view.

DualReverse

Premium Subscriber
I think it's a good intended effort and trying to get help to the scene quicker, whether its a law enforcement or fire/EMS matter. I think what makes me wonder is that, for some of these districts, their local law enforcement does not have MARCS, or UHF, or VHF, or whichever band they wind up programming the school-based radio on. So, if someone at the school presses the button, and no one at the dispatch center can receive the signal, where does it go? I know the end result best-possible scenario is that the local school districts, law enforcement, fire/EMS, and 911 all work together on this, but I think we all know that this seems to not always be the case. One of the school districts in an area where I work recently installed this system in their buildings, opting for MARCS-based talkgroups, and it wasn't until I saw it on the news that we knew what had occurred. Are we (is MARCS) selling a false sense of security without covering all bases?

Just pondering aloud....Be safe.

kf8yk

I think what makes me wonder is that, for some of these districts, their local law enforcement does not have MARCS, or UHF, or VHF, or whichever band they wind up programming the school-based radio on. So, if someone at the school presses the button, and no one at the dispatch center can receive the signal, where does it go?

The Moto salespeople have been recommending that a dedicated MARCS control station programmed with emergency receive be installed in a local dispatch center to catch the alarms.

If there is no coordination on who's going to receive the alarm then it goes nowhere. The concept of this program is to provide a 'hotline' between the school and a PSAP; not to provide direct radio contact between the school radio and public safety field personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.