Atlanta/Digital plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

As Cobb County migrates to the new GEWIN system does anybody know if there is a timetable for Atlanta moving to the system? Are they buying digital capable radios? I read somehwere that there's an application in with the FCC for couple additional sites in and around Atlanta for the GEWIN system.
And, is DeKalb migrating to this system? Any info about who's migrating to GEWIN and when would be much appreciated! Has GSP migrated?
One final thought...there was rumor that Cherokee County had already decided to go to a M/A com system. That is FALSE. Their chief deputy says they are working on grants to build an 800MHz system that will work with GEWIN. He added don't hold your breath as it may be some years down the road because of money. Probably same story for many counties.
Thanks in advance for any info on Atlanta PD/Fire and future digital plans.
BG..

Casey

Yea the Cherokee M/A com rumor put forth rumor is laughable. I'll put that story with the one a couple years back about Douglasville City trunk being encrypted when the guy didn't even bother to realize the noises he was hearing on the trunk talkgroup were simply automated telemetry data, and not police encryption. Oh and then there's the one about a year ago that field units for APD Zone 2 were being issued digital portables, blah blah blah, about to switch over.

No one here knew until the last moment that Cobb was going to use a 9600 baud control channel or that the new Marta system was deploying digital modulation for the PD. What we do know is that Dekalb has selected Motorola, and no one is saying if it will be networked into GEWIN. GSP is not digital and is still on the Atlanta analog system. They have not broadcast on GEWIN, but there is a talkgroup that I identified as Troop C that came up during testing. That's it for me, with facts. C

AndrewC75

I did hear two DeKalb officers talking about the different channel numbers in their new "digital" radios vs. the old radios. They aren't using the digital capabilities yet, but I think it's now a fair assumption that they will.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I know that with the DeKalb radio's, they do identify them as A, B or C plus channel number, which is just their switch position to bring up 48 different channels. I remember something a while back that DeKalb is working on a new system, but that it isn't going to be ready until '07. Unknown about the rest of the metro area, especially since $20+ million is a lot of money to get the tax payers to cough up!

Status
Not open for further replies.