Atlanta, GA - Teen broadcasts fake police codes on stolen radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinzep491

What a freakin moron.

Watch, this will be the SO's motivation to switch to a digital system in the near future. Even though a digital radio can be taken out a vehicle just as easily as a conventional, I bet they would use this as an excuse.

I wouldnt be suprised if this fool was a member here on our forums. Didn't that happen a while back? I remeber reading about someone who had stolen and resold tons of radios and ended up being deep in the RR community.

Anyways, hopefully he learns from his stupidity.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Selective inhibit is your friend.

Douglas county SO uses a VHF conventional analog repeater. Same one they've had since 1989.

Not sure what their plans are for narrowbanding, but I've heard they want to do what the city of Douglasville did and join the Cobb county DTRS or the WARRS Astro 25 system.

Both of these require money. Douglas county is one of the poorest counties in metro Atlanta.

scannerboy01

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That kid will sure get in a lot of trouble. It's good that they are punishing him. While he was doing this, how many people who really needed help get a delayed response due to his bogus calls. Another interesting thing is, how did he learn the proper radio language?

r_eugene1

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That kid will sure get in a lot of trouble. It's good that they are punishing him. While he was doing this, how many people who really needed help get a delayed response due to his bogus calls. Another interesting thing is, how did he learn the proper radio protocol?
I say he probably listened to police scanners in his home. Anyone that listens to police scanners for a long period of time will soon learn all of the radio lingo as well as the signals and codes etc. That's why a lot of the agencies are going encrypted, that and all the apps that the crooks use to monitor police so they can carry out their dirty deeds.
Some people have to ruin a good thing.

scannerboy01

You probably are right about the kid listening to a scanner and learning radio protocol. I could probably say everything correctly, but I certainly don't go stealing police officers' radios and talking on them.

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
Are we sure who the teen is in this case? From this quote: ("We knew it was bogus,"- Capt. Bobby Holmes with the sheriff's office told the AJC Tuesday), it sounds to me like Captain Bobby might be about 14 years old. Neither the term "bogus" or the name "Bobby" suggests a very professional officer.

The difference between many kids like this one and someone like myself, an upstanding, productive citizen throughout my adult life is; that I didn't get caught when I got carried away in my youth. In those days I wouldn't have thought twice about grabbing a radio and horsing around with it, but then I grew up.

nonperson

Are we sure who the teen is in this case? From this quote: ("We knew it was bogus,"- Capt. Bobby Holmes with the sheriff's office told the AJC Tuesday), it sounds to me like Captain Bobby might be about 14 years old. Neither the term "bogus" or the name "Bobby" suggests a very professional officer.

What in that suggests the DEPUTY is unprofessional?

For those interested the teen committed a felony by entering a vehicle and stealing removing a radio. He could have been charged with other crimes as well. Further more learning the ten codes or listening to a scanner isn't enough to pass your self off as a LEO on the radio.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber

The difference between many kids like this one and someone like myself, an upstanding, productive citizen throughout my adult life is; that I didn't get caught when I got carried away in my youth. In those days I wouldn't have thought twice about grabbing a radio and horsing around with it, but then I grew up.

So what? I know a highly decorated officer by the name of Dusty, and I don't see that the problem is worth the word "bogus." Lighten up!

scannerboy01

So what? I know a highly decorated officer by the name of Dusty, and I don't see that the problem is worth the word "bogus." Lighten up!
Neither do I see what the problem is about the officer's name. As long as a police officer can do their job properly, I don't care what their name is.

dugan

The north shore of Lake Erie. The Great Lake that
It just struck me as funny. The language seemed adolescent and the name suggests a young person's nickname. I have known people with juvenile nicknames that they changed when they became professionals, so that we would be taken seriously. It could be a female officer for all I know.

I was just attempting a lighthearted comment that I thought someone might find amusing. I guess I should work on my delivery or something. What a tough crowd.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I wouldnt be suprised if this fool was a member here on our forums. Didn't that happen a while back? I remeber reading about someone who had stolen and resold tons of radios and ended up being deep in the RR community.

Yep, at least one that I know of, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more that have been caught and even more that haven't been caught yet.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
This was just a kid that decided to do some car thefts and steal Sheriff owned equipment. The story says the dispatcher and deputies said the codes didn't make sense which probably means he just looked online at different police code lists and just started to ramble them off on the radio.

Jason

ToneBurst

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
This whole incident will get expunged from his record upon an expungement application to the court at or just after his 18th birthday if he doesn't get arrested again. It will never follow him.

Status
Not open for further replies.