Atlanta TRS Band Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ4QOG

Does anyone have, and can pass on the band plan for the Atlanta TRS? I was trying to retrieve it to program a radio, but I can't pull the control channel out of the noise. I suspect it's not far off from the typical band plan, but I know Fulton County TRS has a seemingly peculiar one to support Phase I equipment while having the band plan to support Phase II ready talkgroups.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
but I know Fulton County TRS has a seemingly peculiar one to support Phase I equipment while having the band plan to support Phase II ready talkgroups.
Nothing of our "bandplan" is "peculiar" to support DDM. It's standard fare with Astro 25 systems. DDM has nothing to do with band plans, it's all in provisioning of talk groups. Some of our talk groups are DDM, some are TDMA only, a few are FDMA only. I provisioned them myself. None of this involved changing anything in the band plan of the core.

Prehaps you can enlighten us on what radio you're trying to program and for what purpose? Most P25 scanners only require the control channels and on pretty much every 700/800 system in Atlanta, the band plans are boiler plate standard fare. Programming of subscriber radios is typically done by authorized personnel.

E M Bagby,

Radio Support
Fulton County Emergency Services
ETA RFIM 188339

KJ4QOG

Allow me to clarify, peculiar to me. As I have ever only dealt with phase I only systems before, it's definitely looks different than I am used to. I dealt with them on the Moto Astro series. I still have those radios in my line up, however I have an apx 7k that I've had programmed for P1 only, but I know it's time to provision it for P2 so I'm not missing TDMA and DDM talkgroups.
I know from communications.support that the band plan must be correct to unmute. And yes as good practice (and as it should be for a non authenticated unit), I am no affliate scanning using the hidden talkgroup method.
Since I am talking about the programming a moto radio, I can move to the CS forums if needed. If you decide to PM the information that's fine too. I'm simply trying to avoid having to grab my SDR and ride for 45 minutes to pick it off the control channel directly.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I know from communications.support that the band plan must be correct to unmute. And yes as good practice (and as it should be for a non authenticated unit), I am no affliate scanning using the hidden talkgroup method.
You are on the right path. and thank you for NOT attempting to penetrate our systems. Aside from turning radios into paperweights, other things can happen if it's not done correctly. Nuff said.
If you decide to PM the information that's fine too. I'm simply trying to avoid having to grab my SDR and ride for 45 minutes to pick it off the control channel directly.
I have attempted to do so, but your PM's are restricted.
Is your email on QRZ valid?

KJ4QOG

I have attempted to do so, but your PM's are restricted.
Is your email on QRZ valid?
Yes. As a double confirmation, it should be a gmail address that has a 1 in the address.
You are on the right path. and thank you for NOT attempting to penetrate our systems. Aside from turning radios into paperweights, other things can happen if it's not done correctly. Nuff said.
I agree and understand, as someone involved in public safety and have close friends in it as well (who I know you have directly communicated with), I understand just how DEADLY a badly programmed radio can be.
I enjoy radios in general and especially LOVE a truly professional system. After having issues with simulcast reception, I finally dove into the proper radio market. Fast forward a couple years, I now own 3 XTL 5000s (V/8/8), an APX 7000 (V/7/8), and a Unication G5 (V/7/8), and have never looked back. (I love having the Unication around for size, signal strength <- I miss this so much on NAS, and TBH to hand to someone I wouldn't trust with a TX capable radio.)
So yeah I appreciate the sanctity of good comm system. Nuff said. Thanks for your help, I'll be looking for the email.

KJ4QOG

P.S I must say, I cried a little when Fulton Co left smartzone for P25. Those were the days lol (as far listening is concerned). Good ol' analog audio but with digital freq switching. Now I use Fayette county for my smartzone kicks, until their inevitable switch.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
P.S I must say, I cried a little when Fulton Co left smartzone for P25. Those were the days lol (as far listening is concerned). Good ol' analog audio but with digital freq switching. Now I use Fayette county for my smartzone kicks, until their inevitable switch.
Our old network (192C) was never Smartzone. Smartnet .89x, MTC3600 controllers. First analog simulcast system in the state, circa 1991. It was actually a "merger" from two separate Smartnet .89x systems, one in the north end, and one in the south. Prior to 192C, the "north" and "south" systems had to be patched from Centracomm IIs at night for FCPD who roamed the whole county back then.

Old system was pure analog, we did have Securenet capability and some radios had DES-XL. PLIB lines were active until 4 years ago...
Old system hardware comprised of mostly MSF5000s with some Quantars for our old North/South data system. Still have the Quantars. They're sitting idle on a tall building downtown. We had a Spectra-TAC comparator. It took up two and a half racks at the prime site.

You have email on the way.

I miss the unique "sound" of the comparator and the audio when the system was aligned. I don't miss getting called 2-3 times a week because mod comps needed to be done, some lazy guy from some unnamed shop who insisted it was "corona mass ejection" causing deafness on channel 5, the USCI boards in our old CEB that had minds of their own, the night when the entire 192C went off the air because of control channels of the "new" somehow causing an issue (we moved over a channel at a time from old to new), the complaints about "static" from our folks.

Animal services was the first agency we moved over. Did it on a weekend. The first they said "the radios sound muffled. But at least the static is gone". That was 12/15/15. Everyone else went 12/29-12/30/15. One of our techs who cared for 192C sent the final "idle" command to the MTC3600 on or around 1/2/2016. It was dismantled shortly thereafter. 192C 1991-2016 RIP.

Last edited:

KJ4QOG

That's absolutely beautiful information. One for the history books. I still have an old frequency book that has 192C in it. I used to know the talkgroup for SFCPD by memory and remember hearing on a BC246T. I even had to program quite a bit of 192C in that radio by the front panel. I vividly remember thinking Fulton County and Atlanta were so advanced while everyone else (I monitored or cared about) was still on VHF. It definitely gave me some memories that I'll never forget. All I can say is Fulton County got their money out of that system. RIP 192C RIP.

e92dream

Premium Subscriber
I can't stand to listen to Fayette after listening to Fulton's system all the time. I'm in Fairburn so I like to check out Fayette but it's rough. They were suppose to go live with their new system this year but the Covid might have changed that.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I can't stand to listen to Fayette after listening to Fulton's system all the time. I'm in Fairburn so I like to check out Fayette but it's rough. They were suppose to go live with their new system this year but the Covid might have changed that.
It's coming. Looking forward to how well EF/Kenwood's simulcast works. The core uses distributed logic and via DFSI, it can work with multiple vendor's base radios. I heard they have taken delivery of their subscribers (VM6000/7000 mobiles and VP6000 series portables), don't know what their time line is to go live.

e92dream

Premium Subscriber

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I'm planning a trip to Atlanta area around Christmas and will be fun to scan that area again. I was born and raised in Atlanta during the mid 50's and 60's. My Dad was an Atlanta Police Officer for 35 years. I use to sit in his unmarked car and listen to his radio all the time when I was a young kid. I bought a crystal based scanner when I was 10. My family moved to Gwinnett in 1970 while in high school and took only two crystals to listen to everything then. One for police and one for Fire. Now Gwinnett is 100% encrypted so I listen to Atlanta and some counties north of Gwinnett when I visit that way. Thanks for giving me that Flashback.

Status
Not open for further replies.