Atlanta UASI info request...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WK4U

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone.

After a recent conversation with one of Sandy Springs police, he confirmed they are supposed to switch over to UASI when their own TRS goes down. So now I'm more interested in UASI than before.

Cobb's DTRS has a number of talk groups related to the UASI system. Do they repeat the audio from specific talk groups in the UASI system into Cobb? Are there more talk groups on UASI that I'm missing by listening to it on Cobb's system?

I can find the UASI control channel, but wonder where the UASI sites are located? How many are there? What talk groups are defined?

And why is the Atlanta UASI system not defined here on the Radio Reference database? Seems like it should.

Tim, WK4U

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Hey everyone.

After a recent conversation with one of Sandy Springs police, he confirmed they are supposed to switch over to UASI when their own TRS goes down. So now I'm more interested in UASI than before.

Cobb's DTRS has a number of talk groups related to the UASI system. Do they repeat the audio from specific talk groups in the UASI system into Cobb? Are there more talk groups on UASI that I'm missing by listening to it on Cobb's system?

I can find the UASI control channel, but wonder where the UASI sites are located? How many are there? What talk groups are defined?

And why is the Atlanta UASI system not defined here on the Radio Reference database? Seems like it should.

Tim, WK4U

The Atlanta UASI is a five channel simulcast system designed as an interoperability overlay on existing sites used by other DTRS's and was deployed in 2006 using Federal grants:

http://dps.georgia.gov/sites/dps.ge...1210/39/35/55060669Board_Minutes-March_06.pdf

http://www.nascio.org/awards/nominations/2009/2009GA2-NASCIO Nomination 2009, UASI, final.pdf

Cobb county added their sites to the overlay for coverage (as noted above), which is why UASI talkgroups are listed on the Cobb DTRS, much the same way Forsyth county talkgroups now exist on the Cobb DTRS, via ISSI gateway and shared controller resources.

More on this here (TL, DR):
http://www.pscr.gov/outreach/archive/safecom_archive/psaf/PSAF_trial_report_final_01_11_07.pdf

The talkgroups on the UASI overlay are for interagency interoperability, and you won't hear much on it. To be honest, it is a waste of public money. No one uses it because:

1)-it has a high cost per radio per anum to be on the system
2)-the system lacks voice channel capacity and in building coverage. due to a limited number of voice channels and limited number of sites
3)-the scope of use restricts it to interoperability functions and back up only (mainly due to the limited resources)

So, most of the time, it sits idle. Another waste of money for someon'e resume building/project management degree.

The sites are co-located on existing Cobb, Fulton, City of Atlanta and DeKalb sites for their respective trunking systems.

Basically, it's an expensive to operate set of "I-TAC" repeaters with a trunking controller on it and ISSI gateway.

You aren't missing much, the UASI LAW WEST/LAW EAST sometimes come active during drills, etc.

and yes, encryption is authorized and sometimes used, but like I said, this was one massive $1.5 million dollar clump flushed down the old swisharoo.

Something to think about now that our government is shut down. Gee, maybe if congress cockroaches weren't giving themselves raises and funding pork barrel projects like this, we would not be so neck high in debt, ya think? Just a random rambling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.