Status
Not open for further replies.

HavenBTS

Banned by a Super Duper Moderator
Banned
At midnight my weather radio alarm went off with a 10 day sentry alert. I know that that means that there hasn't been a weather alsert in 10 days. I just realized that this is the second week in a row that this occurred. The first thing I checked was for reception of 162.400. There wasn't. I checked online and I see that Atlantic City is Out of Service.

Has it been out of service for 2 weeks?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes indeed KHB38 it is out of service. I normally can't hear it because I'm just south of Trenton, New Jersey and Allentown, PA drounds it out on 162.4... I do however listen to it on my tuner app and it is not working. Couldn't find any information, Mount Holly just reports it as out of service. I'll keep my eye on it.

I can't imagine it being out that long.

HavenBTS

Banned
Yes indeed KHB38 it is out of service. I normally can't hear it because I'm just south of Trenton, New Jersey and Allentown, PA drounds it out on 162.4... I do however listen to it on my tuner app and it is not working. Couldn't find any information, Mount Holly just reports it as out of service. I'll keep my eye on it.

Neither can I. However I did get a 10 day Sentry alert two weeks in a row and also for two weeks I haven't received the Wednesday test alert.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yeah I pretty much exhausted all of my ability to search for an answer and I expect that you did the exact same. All I can get is out of service. I imagine that our conversation from RadioReference will probably show up if someone was to search on your favorite search engine regarding this shut down LOL.

I wonder if a phone call to the Mount Holly NOAA facility in Westampton would yield anyting. I remember in the old days going way way back when I was reporter with The Trentonian they were very friendly there and would freely talk on the phone. Maybe ring them up. ;)

HavenBTS

Banned
Yeah I pretty much exhausted all of my ability to search for an answer and I expect that you did the exact same. All I can get is out of service. I imagine that our conversation from RadioReference will probably show up if someone was to search on your favorite search engine regarding this shut down LOL.

I wonder if a phone call to the Mount Holly NOAA facility in Westampton would yield anyting. I remember in the old days going way way back when I was reporter with The Trentonian they were very friendly there and would freely talk on the phone. Maybe ring them up. ;)
That's a good idea. The worst that can happen is no one answers! But why wouldn't they? Afterall I am a Skywarn member! lol :p

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I remember New York City was out for a long time on 162.55... Atlantic City is very important for Mariners even though it is offseason. Very curious about this and maybe somebody in the know will chime in.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh that's great. You might actually get somewhere. Maybe someone will even answer during the day. As I said, I didn't even think of the voicemail till after I posted. The public is entitled to know, they are a public service. Keep us posted.

w2xq

Mentor
NOAA 162.400 AC will be out of service a long time per a tweet I saw a few weeks ago. No reason was given but my impression from the tone of the message is that it will be months. The message concluded by stating the vast majority of the listening area can be covered by other stations. I didn't bother posting the message here as I assumed the information would be available on the NOAA website.

The other stations would be in -- don't hold me to the exact locations as I don't remember wirhout looking them up -- suburban Philadelphia, Ocean/Monmouth County, and the Delmarva peninsula.

I just include all the NOAA channels in an HT that normally can hear at least one station wherever I am.

I am surprised that AC mariners can't hear at least one of the other coastal NOAA stations when out on the water.

Buoy data:
HTH.

Last edited:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Thank you Tom. As you know, I pretty much pulled away from amateur radio for now and I apologize for not keeping in touch with you as much as I have in the past. Lots of personal issues going on.

As always thanks for the inside information. I'm planning on texting or emailing you soon before the holidays to let you know and keep up-to-date with what's going on with you. :)

Sporadic E enthusiast

The antenna or coax has failed.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Nope. Station is officially out of service / NOAA Weather Radio. Check out entire thread.

HavenBTS

Banned
NOAA 162.400 AC will be out of service a long time per a tweet I saw a few weeks ago. No reason was given but my impression from the tone of the message is that it will be months. The message concluded by stating the vast majority of the listening area can be covered by other stations. I didn't bother posting the message here as I assumed the information would be available on the NOAA website.

The other stations would be in -- don't hold me to the exact locations as I don't remember wirhout looking them up -- suburban Philadelphia, Ocean/Monmouth County, and the Delmarva peninsula.

I just include all the NOAA channels in an HT that normally can hear at least one station wherever I am.

I am surprised that AC mariners can't hear at least one of the other coastal NOAA stations when out on the water.

Buoy data:
HTH.
I finally had some time to call NOAA in Mt. Holly and the nice lady on the phone stated that there are major complications with the transmitter and that it will be down for a while as they are waiting for parts. Asking what a while meant, her answer was unknown.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I finally had some time to call NOAA in Mt. Holly and the nice lady on the phone stated that there are major complications with the transmitter and that it will be down for a while as they are waiting for parts. Asking what a while meant, her answer was unknown.
Thanks for calling and getting the scoop!

Status
Not open for further replies.