Atlantic County P25 On the Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Hearing some traffic on the new Atlantic County p25 system. Looks like the majority of the activity is on voice channels reused from the old EDACS system from the Mays Landing site. Sounds like ACPD patch. audio appears to be Phase 2 TDMA. Can anyone confirm? also do we have a band plan for this system? it's not coming in properly on my GRE model because it needs a band plan.

troymail

Silent Key
Hearing some traffic on the new Atlantic County p25 system. Looks like the majority of the activity is on voice channels reused from the old EDACS system from the Mays Landing site. Sounds like ACPD patch. audio appears to be Phase 2 TDMA. Can anyone confirm? also do we have a band plan for this system? it's not coming in properly on my GRE model because it needs a band plan.

When you say it's not coming in properly, can you further describe what that means? The radio should automatically fill in the band plan for P25. And you will notice a dramatic difference from EDACS to new P25 systems - the most notable issues would likely be digital simulcast distortion (but I can't that for sure). Also, the patches can make things sound really bad also.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Well when my Uniden 436HP picks up transmissions, my GRE PSR 800 with the same control channel programmed in just clicks, and for a .split second I see 909.23875 or a number silimar to that come up as a frequency. That can't be right. I seem to remember a similar issue with another p25 phase 2 system a couple years ago and I think my GRE needed a band plan information before it decoded properly. But the audio passed on my Uniden sounds quite good coming from well outside the county.

troymail

Silent Key
I think I've seen that in the past also. The 800 should set the band plan properly if set to Auto. You may want to reprogram the system and/or clear the settings via EZ Scan and make sure the sites are set to Auto and the band plan is set to Auto Fill.

troymail

Silent Key
Curious also - looks like you are in Berlin. What site(s) / control channel frequencies are you receiving? The x36 radios seems to be able to receive more distant activity than the PSR800. Is it possible that the site(s) you are monitoring are outside the reception range of the PSR800?

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I am in fact listening from Berlin. I believe I am picking up sitrs from Mays Landing and Galloway based on where the cc frequencies used to be on the EDACS system (which I can confirm is still in use). Now it may be that I am too far away to pick up transmissions on the PSR 800 but if that were the issue I would still see the control channel and correct voice frequency show up. I will have to take a look at my programming of this system. I can confirm hearing ACPD on what I believe to be a patch.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
853.875 is the control channel for the Mays Landing site and transmissions are coming over 853.775 which is also an alternate control channel for that site. The Galloway site control channel is 853.7

W2SJW

Database Admin
May's Landing FD is going to be doing a test tomorrow for in-building coverage & intelligibility at the May's Landing Walmart. Keep your ears peeled to the P25 system after 1300, as I am fairly sure that this is what it's about.

I will be in attendance as a company representative, and am quite interested to see what HT's they are using now...

W2SJW

Database Admin
I've made changes to the DB from what I've been able to cover while monitoring on my lunch break - this system IS Phase-II & I heard quite a bit of traffic in the clear on about 5 or 6 different talkgroups that are all 5-digit in length.

I'll report back later this afternoon with any more updates, as I'm not taking my 436 out in front of anyone attending this walk-through...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
Being a former Cologne FC Member, I have to point out that the Walmart is actually in Cologne, not Mays Landing. :D

W2SJW

Database Admin
You are correct! This was to address lack of signal issues in our store, but I met personally with the man that runs the county radio systems, and gained a wealth of knowledge today...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk 4

MilAirNJ

Hopefully you will share :)

I was monitoring during that time frame and heard the radio checks over the current Edacs system, but nothing on the P25 side.

W2SJW

Database Admin
OK, here's what I found out so far:

#1 - System is 100% Phase-II right from the start.
#2 - System will encompass ALL current sites that make up the EDACS system.
#3 - P25 & EDACS systems are patched at the core, and as more agencies get their newer radios, more frequencies will be cut over to the P25 infrastructure.
#4 - The administrator was carrying a full-keypad Unity XG-75.
#5 - System completion is not slated until spring of 2017.

Now for the TG's:
14101 - Sounded like public safety
15101 - Sounded like public safety
15504 - Most definitely a services/public works user
25603 - Most traffic heard was on this TG - could be Sheriff or Corrections
29101 - Sounded like public safety
29102 - Sounded like public safety

No testing at all was done on the P25 today in our store, as MilAirNJ noted. It was all analog/ProVoice signal tests. I believe that EDACS TG's are expressed as decimal in the programming software, so good luck figuring out what format they are using to convert the TG's in the new system. I did NOT want to press my luck! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.