Atmospheric River Rain/Snow Eastern Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
We are getting the usual radio traffic relative to a good snowstorm, but its not the first time this season. Several days ago there was a nuisance type storm that resulted in chain restrictions on U.S. 395 and the upper portion of CA Highway 203. Lots of spinouts, vehicles without chains, vehicles sliding off the road, people pulled to the side of the road needing help and the like. This storm was so well publicized and predicted that most of the unprepared and unknowledgeable folks must have stayed home. It rained steady and at times a little hard yesterday and steady all night. This morning I thought it stopped raining and might be clearing up, this between 0730 and 0830. I had the blinds shut and was watching a bit of YouTube. Then I looked out the window and it was snowing wet and sloppy. Snowflakes like feathers falling hard at a rate of about 2" per hour.

The upper layer of soil is soaked and this storm will lay down a wet and relatively warm layer of snow that will consolidate into a great base. If the snowpack continues to deepen this winter, that warm layer at the bottom will be full of vapor pressure that will migrate to colder snow and result in an unstable and weak layer. The soil being so thoroughly soaked just before wet snow being laid on top of it will provide a great deal of moisture that will provide a great deal of water vapor to destabilize colder snow deposited (hopefully!) later in the winter. Heavy rain to high elevations that then turns to wet, heavy snow immediately is not real common, which is a result of warmer temperatures. You have to observe and note what the snow is like as each storm comes through in order to keep track of the snowpack and how stable it is. This has to be combined with digging 4 foot or more deep snow pits and carefully examine the snow and its layers. This is all part of avalanche hazard analysis. Those people cross country skiing, backcountry snowboarding and snowmobiling should take avalanche awareness training before venturing out and be cognizant of this uncommon layering that might be developing in this winter's snowpack. It could add up to something significant late in the season, although only time will tell.

For those who are jumping up to declare an end to the state's drought, sit down and wait. This atmospheric river (AR) event is likely short lived and the firehoses they can point at the state can end at any time with the rest of the winter being dry. I've seen this happen many times. It's going to take many average and especially above average years, to get us out of this drought. There are a lot of aquifers that need filling and that takes time and a lot of precipitation to accomplish. Don't count your snowflakes until they land on the ground.

YEAH! The Bobcat mounted snow blower just started in my driveway, first time this season. I wish I wasn't so old now as I can't take long overnight ski trips with a heavy pack anymore. My days of trans Sierra ski trips are now gone. :(

Now it's time to punch in the business banks or groups in my scanners and listen to the snow removal outfits here in town. I listen to Caltrans year long so I'm tuned into the haps there.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Mammoth is scheduled to open this weekend and the ill-prepared and inexperienced flatlanders will be heading north on Highway 395. I've had the misfortune to venture out the first weekend of Mammoth ski season and it's not fun, but does generate a lot of interesting radio traffic on CHP, CALTRANS and the local systems.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Mammoth is scheduled to open this weekend and the ill-prepared and inexperienced flatlanders will be heading north on Highway 395. I've had the misfortune to venture out the first weekend of Mammoth ski season and it's not fun, but does generate a lot of interesting radio traffic on CHP, CALTRANS and the local systems.

Yeah, it's better than watching people at the launch ramps the first warm weekend.

Eng74

If they would just 4 lane 395 from the 14 south to Adelanto it would save a lot of lives. I have ran calls on it and lost friends on it. If I am going south I will take 14 o the 5 before I get on the 395. There is just a small stretch of 14 that is not 4 lanes now from the 178 Isabela turn off to just North of Red Rock Canyon.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
If they would just 4 lane 395 from the 14 south to Adelanto it would save a lot of lives. I have ran calls on it and lost friends on it. If I am going south I will take 14 o the 5 before I get on the 395. There is just a small stretch of 14 that is not 4 lanes now from the 178 Isabela turn off to just North of Red Rock Canyon.
It looks like that's happening incrementally year-by-year. I was through the area twice this month and can see the newly graded areas.

What frustrates me is the current repaving and lane closures/detours on Hwy 14 from Rosamond to Mojave. I'm sure this is generating lots CHP/FD/EMS calls.

Remember when Hwy 14 had a stop sign at the California City cutoff :confused: and the condition "Charlie-Foxtrot" that existed for the several years it took for the present crossover to be built? I still cringe at the mile-long backups that existed for a couple of Thanksgivings.

Eng74

It looks like that's happening incrementally year-by-year. I was through the area twice this month and can see the newly graded areas.

What frustrates me is the current repaving and lane closures/detours on Hwy 14 from Rosamond to Mojave. I'm sure this is generating lots CHP/FD/EMS calls.

Remember when Hwy 14 had a stop sign at the California City cutoff :confused: and the condition "Charlie-Foxtrot" that existed for the several years it took for the present crossover to be built? I still cringe at the mile-long backups that existed for a couple of Thanksgivings.
There wasn’t a stop at 14 and California City Blv.. I think you are confusing that with 395/58 at Kramer Junction. Even when they put the stoplight up there it was still a mess on holiday weekends. The 58 bypass has finally fixed that. The 14 replacement hasn’t been too bad there was only a couple accidents when traffic was on the Northbound side. They seem to be working a lot faster on that side now.

Last edited:

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
There wasn’t a stop at 14 and California City Blv.. I think you are confusing that with 395/58 at Kramer Junction. Even when they put the stoplight up there it was still a mess on holiday weekends. The 58 bypass has finally fixed that. The 14 replacement hasn’t been too bad there was only a couple accidents when traffic was on the Northbound side. They seem to be working a lot faster on that side now.

My memory and cognitive processes are in decline, faster than average for my age. Given that, I remember a stop sign at the CA City intersection. I tried to stay away from it on Fridays and Sundays. My days off at the time were Sun and Monday so that helped. I remember a backup southbound one Sunday when I was too tired to do the drive (from Bridgeport to Acton) on Saturday. I seem to remember a backup of a half mile to a mile that was made difficult by moving slowly in traffic with a stick shift. My left leg sure got a workout. When I lived in southern California that backup was at the light where the 14 hit the T intersection at the north side of town. This around 1970--1972. In 1973 I left and never returned. Mammoth is about a close as I would want to be.

The four lane project of 12 total miles bypassing Olancha is due to start construction in January, barring any contract complications. This has been a long effort to get to this stage. Lot's of work on the CEQA document, but it was logically evaluated with a lot of public participation. The final four lanes for 14 between Red Rock State Park and the Lake Isabela are just awaiting funding, all the CEQA and engineering are done. The first phase is funded, but the second phase is not. The 18 cent increased gas tax in CA won't fund it, that increase is providing funding for backlog maintenance only, such as the 14 south of Mojave and bridges statewide.

I hate the drive from Johannesburg to Adelanto. I'm real nervous through that stretch. I can't avoid the Kramer Junction to Johannesburg when we head to Phoenix. That route, using I-40 to get to Kingman is about 40 some miles longer than going through Las Vegas, but I can't stand driving through Las Vegas, so I take 395 to 58 to I-40 and then U.S. 93 south of Kingman. Lot's of good work has been done on 58, real quality work. We might see I-40 extended westward along 58 some day. But, that Adelanto stretch is terrible.

The snow we did get Monday morning was true Sierra Cement. Up in Oregon and Washington they call it "Cascade Concrete!" I finally had to take a day off from chores today as shoveling it made me real sore. We need about 10 more of those storms just to get a start on filling surface reservoirs and years of it to just begin to fill aquifers. I hope we get more wet snow and that is freezes hard. The Sierra Nevada and Cascade range snowpack is likely the most important reservoir for agriculture in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.