• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

"Atomic" desk clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH

Has anyone fooled around with these self-setting clocks that listen
to WWVB in Boulder CO on 60kHz? I picked up one on clearance for
$5, and even without this feature it would be worth the price (large
display, temperature and day/date, runs on 2 AA's).

As a gadget there isn't a whole lot to do with it, but it's fun to reset
the time and wait a few minutes to the see the right time magically
appear. Where I'm located, this feature only works at certain times,
due to propogation, typically 10pm to 5am, and requires correct
positioning of the clock. I can see why it's not necessarily a mass
market item.

Dave

N

N_Jay

DaveH said:
. . . . I can see why it's not necessarily a mass
market item.

Dave
What do you mean "not mass market"?

Walmart caries them as does Costco.

Casio has over a dozen different model watches also.

Most only look for the signal at night when propagation is best to save batteries.

DaveH

Oops, sorry, this was meant to be posted in the Tavern (not a scanning
topic)...could someone move it over?

N_Jay, bad choice of words on my part, I know it's sold in a number
of retail outlets. Possibly it's just not the success hoped for in areas that
don't receive the signal too well, or at all.

Dave

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Moved to the Tavern as requested.

Yes, I have one. Been having it for several years now (wish I had only paid $5 for mine) and the batteries last a very very very long time. Seems like I bought it in 2001 and it is working on its 3rd set of batteries now. Mine, as N_Jay suggested, only looks for the signal during the very early hours of the morning. It has become the "master clock" of the house. ;)

In our recent travels, I have not been located anywhere that it didn't get the signal; however, our travels have been mostly in the mid-America states so that may have something to do with it.

N

N_Jay

They work just about everywhere (with some issues due to local noise and really bad placement).

I would say they are quite a success if you look at the broad range of model and manufacturers.

KE7TJK

I have them all over my house, and the watch I'm currently wearing also sets itelf with the same signal.

Currently 1601 hours here, and my watch is currently receiving the signal.

N

N_Jay

CODE03 said:
I have them all over my house, and the watch I'm currently wearing also sets itelf with the same signal.

Currently 1601 hours here, and my watch is currently receiving the signal.

Are you sure.

A lot of the clocks show the receive indicator if they have received the signal in the last 24 hours.

wa8vzq

I have one, it keeps time very nicely and shows inside and outside temp BUT the moon phase symbols are exactly opposite of the symbols used on a calendar in the US. They use a filled circle as a full moon and an open circle as a new moon. Drives me crazy. Dropped a note to the company and they could really not care at all. Bought it at Walmart and it is made by a company in Minnesota.

Dan
Apple Valley, MN

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
Mine is currently trying to reset itself in the garbage heap. I knocked it off the wall and may have damged it when it hit the concrete.

mancow

Database Admin
Mine periodically says it's 2009. The bad thing is that it's in the bathroom and when I get out of the shower in the morning I freak out and think that I misread the bedroom clock and I'm late to work.

Then, randomly some time during the day it will be back to normal.

DaveH

Mine is definitely sensitive to position/orientation but keeping it away
from the computer helps. The signal indicator stays on solid after lock,
and does not indicate the real signal strength at the time it's not actively
trying to lock i.e. until reset or the next search interval (1:00am-4:30am)

As for price, I just lucked out with the clearance outlet that dropped
the already low price ($CDN). A few days or a week later and they will
probably be gone. Limited warranty also; after 30 days if anything goes
wrong, we're outta luck. This place deals "refurbs" although not for this
item. Maybe it's just colour/style, overrun, end-of-line, hopefully not
due to a non-obvious defect (ahem) "feature" that is not advertised.
No problems found yet though.

http://www.xscargo.com/product.php?dept=search&action=search&item=RC182WB&index=0

The book of words is quite coherent and claims a range of 2000 miles.
I haven't had the thing apart yet but expect to find some type of loop
antenna inside.

Dave

Last edited:

rbm

I have this one from RadioShack.

Atomic Wall Clock $19.99
Model: 63-1438

It's located in my den, below ground in a brick house and surprisingly enough it still finds the signal. I bought it mainly for the large display so I could see it across the room. I really expected to have to sync it up manually. But, it does good all by itself.

pathalogical

I was always under the impression that these clocks didn't work in Canada. One person says yes, the other guy says no. I think it may have been in one of the C Crane catalogs. I also read somewhere on this site http://inms-ienm.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/main_e.html that tv stations, radio stations, cell companies and other important companies get their time from here, yet when channel surfing and watching the time on news stations, they are off several seconds from each other, what's up with that ? I've played with my wrist watch enough to sync it closley with the non-adjustable clocks, but you can't get it exact to the second. As I sit here my wrist watch says 8:03:31, my land line phone (time coutesy of Bell Canada, not user adjustable) does not show seconds nor does my Bell Mobility cell (not user adjustable). Yet my desk phone goes 8:04 first, then my wrist watch and finally the cell. My VCR sets the time itself from the cable plugged into the rear, courtesy of Rogers, yet none of these clocks change time at the same time ! So my question is.........

Just what freakin' time is it !?!?!?!?!?!?!

jmp883

I have one from MFJ in my scanner/ham shack. It only cost $25.00 and was definitely worth it. It's nice knowing the correct time when filling out my ham radio logs and sometimes it's fun to see how far off dispatchers will fudge the time when doing plectron/pager tests ;) .......(I know if I miss doing my plectron test right at 1930 hrs it will still be 1930 hrs. up until 1935 hrs! ;))

If they'd come out with a traditional-face atomic watch I'd buy one.....I really don't care for the look of digital watches but I haven't seen an atomic wristwatch with a traditional face on it......oh well.

N

N_Jay

jmp883 said:
If they'd come out with a traditional-face atomic watch I'd buy one.....I really don't care for the look of digital watches but I haven't seen an atomic wristwatch with a traditional face on it......oh well.

They have them
Look at casio

N

N_Jay

A lot of coordinated clocks are off by seconds for lots of reasons.

Cell sites typically only send out minute information.

TV channels are delayed all through the processing.

WWV and WWVB are delayed by 5.4 uS per mile from Ft. Collins, plus processing time in the clock.

Internet clocks usually don't fully account for packet transit time.

DaveH

pathalogical said:
I was always under the impression that these clocks didn't work in Canada. One person says yes, the other guy says no.
I'd go with the people who say they work and are not pulling any legs. The
others might have low performance or faulty units, may not understand the
limitations and/or trying to use them in problematic locations, including places
that may indeed be out of range. What we need is an expert in VLF propogation...

Dave

Yokoshibu

eh just check raim on your gps and then use that time! .... oh yeah cell phones too! I want to figure out the programming on the Lg's and text position status to email and data log it... maybe when I take the time to learn the code and have some free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.