ATS 20+ Scanning

kaptkarma

I'm wondering if this radio will scan. It looks like if you press the tuning knob there is supposed to have an ATS function to scan but mine does not seem to work. If I am on FM, the radio jumps to 107.9 immediately when I press the knob.

majoco

Stirrer
I have an ATS-25 max which does have scanning but it's pretty poor. The instructions are next to useless as they give no idea on setting the frequency band or changing the sensitivity - it doesn't cover the whole of the VHF FM band and the baseband is either off the bottom of the screen or halfway up it.

...but I am very happy with the HF performance! If anything it's too sensitive so I added an external attenuator which keeps most of the junk out - in the evening I can receive the BBC on 12095kHz from their transmitters from Morocco or Ascension on the whip indoors!

sunwave

Premium Subscriber
I'm wondering if this radio will scan. It looks like if you press the tuning knob there is supposed to have an ATS function to scan but mine does not seem to work. If I am on FM, the radio jumps to 107.9 immediately when I press the knob.
The following things the ATS 20+ can't do:
-Store memories. The Arduino inside doesn't have the memory capability. 32kb of ROM which is mostly used up by firmware.
-Search scanning
-Auto Tuning System (ATS)

"ATS" in ATS 20+ is only a label on this DSP based receiver.

Radios with good Auto Tuning System to consider:
C.Crane branded radios,
Eton branded radios,
Tecsun branded radios,
XHData branded radios,
Sangean branded radios.

majoco

Stirrer
With a bit of practice I got my ATS-25 max to scan much better but sometimes it's still a bit unpredictable.

...and the memory system works well once you have it set up but having to wade through all the alphabets every time you want to add another letter is annoying - and the Russian alphabets too!

BamaChad

Radio Operator
This thread is going on a year old but I just wish the ats 20+ had squelch. That's how you absolutely know a radio or receiver has no scanning ability. Zero squelch control makes it impossible because it would never move because of the noise floor.