ATSC/Digital TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowires

I'm using an Outdoor rotator antenna for ATSC/Digital TV.
I'm not supposed to be able to pick up some of these stations but with this outdoor antenna I can pick up stations in the bigger city. I'm too far away to pick them up outside the city with most antennas and indoor antennas are junk as far as that goes.

According to Rabbitears.info, there are two channels on the same tower with supposedly the same power output (initially one was weaker than the other). I can pick up one station, but not the other. Before I have had to adjust the rotor just slightly to pick up one station or the other. But now it's unpredictable when I'll pick up the second station even when rotating the rotor. The first station comes in pretty well as long as I point it in the general direction. I wouldn't even be able to pick up these stations unless I'm in the city, but with this antenna I almost get both of them (sometimes).

The Digital signal has made signals harder to get than with analog. But of course if it weren't for compression it would take more bandwidth not less. And then they're squeezing out the old upper channels of TV for other digital services such as 5G and other wireless internet and phone.

If the two stations are on the same tower with the same power (assumed) I should be able to pick up both of them, but I can't. Maybe the one station has practically become nothing but shopping channels, it comes in ok.

prcguy

Two TV transmit antennas on the same power could have slightly different radiation patterns and there could be a big difference in transmitter power levels. It could also be one is at the very top of the tower getting better distance than the other lower on the tower.

Sounds like you are at the extreme fringe for receiving them and the slightest difference in levels at your house can make or break reception.

nowires

Most of the stations in the area are UHF, some are VHF, but these two stations on the same tower are both UHF. UHF means the signal has a harder time than with the VHF stations. I'm getting a pilot signal on both stations, good enough to point the antenna. I think both stations were repacked. I can pick up much more powerful stations farther away than with these closer stations with weaker signal. 1000kW station about 40 miles versus 2kW station 15 miles away.

nowires

I looked at the antenna grid thing. One is fatter than the other. But essentially pointing in the same direction, but the thing says that the max power is pointing in a different direction (maybe to keep from overpowering each other on the same tower?)

a417

U+0000
You need this.

990 miles!

oh god, the marketing wankery is strong with this one. I like the SWR rating on a non-transmit antenna.

a417

U+0000
probably not UV rated coax, "rotor turns both ways" - but I can almost guarantee there's no protection to prevent it from turning beyond 360 deg in either direction - should do a nice job of wrapping the cable around the pole till it breaks, probably not UV resistant/coated plastic in the body (should last hours), i can already hear the screaming from that cheap SMPS wall wart, the hits just keep coming...

hahah, it looks like the same chinesium junk that is flooding the market and it's produced to a very cheap price point. Feel free to try it, but don't expect it to last too long.

nowires

probably not UV rated coax, "rotor turns both ways" - but I can almost guarantee there's no protection to prevent it from turning beyond 360 deg in either direction - should do a nice job of wrapping the cable around the pole till it breaks, probably not UV resistant/coated plastic in the body (should last hours), i can already hear the screaming from that cheap SMPS wall wart, the hits just keep coming...

hahah, it looks like the same chinesium junk that is flooding the market and it's produced to a very cheap price point. Feel free to try it, but don't expect it to last too long.
There was a review saying that it most likely won't last even though it does have decent pull.
It does have stops. It has an amp that does better turned off at times.

I don't understand though. I had moved it only about a couple of feet, and nothing on two channels I was receiving but now nothing at all.

a417

U+0000
you might have a bad piece of coax between the antenna and tv

nowires

you might have a bad piece of coax between the antenna and tv
I've got the coax that came in the box running up the roof line. But I'm using a cable that the satellite dish used to use coming into the house. I've had doubts about it. I replaced a corroded connector on the outside and tried redoing it with one of those screw on coax jobs with a F coupler. But even when I just use the coax that came in the box and go direct to the rotator/amp box, it still don't pick up the "weaker" of the two. So that puzzles me. The signal is pretty weak but there are other days when conditions are favorable and it comes in. I also used to have the antenna in the J pole hole where the dish went. The post on this antenna slid right on in. It was getting into trees so I figure go up on the roof a little higher. and up over the roof line. I should be getting fairly good reception up there.

nowires

I'm thinking about trying another head on the antenna. The one I have doesn't light up the led. Not sure if this means the pre-amp in the head is working or just the light led burned out.

nowires

I changed my antenna (pre-amp at the antenna and not the remote box inside connecting to the TV and rotator button) head out...and it seems to have helped. The little light went out a long time ago on the old head and replaced it with a new one. I think the light going out means something in the head went bad.

a417

U+0000
It's much more likely that the power supply circuit failed than the LED 'burning out'. The MTBF of those little diodes is incredibly high.

nowires

It's much more likely that the power supply circuit failed than the LED 'burning out'. The MTBF of those little diodes is incredibly high.
When I get a round tuit, I'll look at the head I took down and see if something made in china is burnt up looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.