ATT FirstNet 5G Service

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys I know there are some other first net threads on this website however none that I can see in OK.
According to ATT FN for those in OKC are suppose to be getting true 5G service since spring apparently however no one I know who has FN is reporting 5G service.
Anyone on here who lives or travels thru OK notice true 5G service on their phones (if capable) who has FN?
I have already talked to the ATT store and they even changed out my SIM card and after that one didnt go 5G they said they couldnt help me anymore.

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
So, I'm in Dallas, Texas and have FirstNet. At my work it displays I have "5G" service. I used the app "Network Cell Info Lite" which displays a lot of information, what band you're on, where the nearest tower is, what your signal strength is, lots of info.

While it displays "5G" with full bars I'm still on band 14. This is in numerous parts of Dallas at different 5G sites through AT&T. I don't think FirstNet users have access to 5G as of yet.

To address you going to the AT&T store, I've never had luck going in any of the stores to get help with my FirstNet device, the reps have told me they have very little if nothing to do with FirstNet and the best way for FirstNet support is the online site or call the FirstNet support number.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
So, I'm in Dallas, Texas and have FirstNet. At my work it displays I have "5G" service. I used the app "Network Cell Info Lite" which displays a lot of information, what band you're on, where the nearest tower is, what your signal strength is, lots of info.

You must have android lol
Apple doesnt like us looking at our cell data. Its so hard to find the info I need on an iphone. lol

While it displays "5G" with full bars I'm still on band 14. This is in numerous parts of Dallas at different 5G sites through AT&T. I don't think FirstNet users have access to 5G as of yet.

Per their website its now available is most major US cities but idk

To address you going to the AT&T store, I've never had luck going in any of the stores to get help with my FirstNet device, the reps have told me they have very little if nothing to do with FirstNet and the best way for FirstNet support is the online site or call the FirstNet support number.

I discovered that. Last time I went she had to call FN people her self and be walked thru what to do.

Bustergrn

You must have android lol
Apple doesnt like us looking at our cell data. Its so hard to find the info I need on an iphone. lol

This is incorrect. Apple provides a wealth of network information and real time network performance data in the Field Test application. It comes natively on all iPhones.

Access Instructions:
Deactivate WiFi on phone.
Load the telephone application and enter the manual dial function
Type *3001#12345#* and hit send.
The Field Test application will load automatically.

Hope this helps!

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
This is incorrect. Apple provides a wealth of network information and real time network performance data in the Field Test application. It comes natively on all iPhones.

Access Instructions:
Deactivate WiFi on phone.
Load the telephone application and enter the manual dial function
Type *3001#12345#* and hit send.
The Field Test application will load automatically.

Hope this helps!

Im aware of this but ios no longer lets you view your signal strength in decibels like it used to which is what I liked the most.

Bustergrn

All Metrics Menu - LTE RACH Attempt - RSRP. It's not a real-time measurement, rather a recording of RSRP at the last successful RACH Attempt. If you monitor the the screen, it will refresh periodically. The timestamp will indicate the last RSRP reading.

bchappuie

Regardless of your service 5G on AT&T does not have any real advantages, unless you happen onto a 5G+ site. All the 5G most hit will not perform any better than the current LTE network. That's from original AT&T 5G advertising.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
So I'm looking to switch to FirstNet for my personal account, but would like to use a Motorola Phone. There are a bunch of newer Moto phones compatible with "regular" FirstNet, but none support FirstNet 5G, not even APX Next or Lex L11. Does anyone know why this is?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

That's standard AT&T marketing. They did that when they realized their enhanced LTE network was performing identically to Verizon's 5G network and updated all of the phones to state 5G even if they weren't truly 5G capable. Source, my X was like that (in DFW) but wasn't truly 5G capable. My 12 (current phone) is not like that (it also got unlocked and I moved it over to Verizon after being an AT&T customer since the Cingular Wireless days).

KI5EDJ

WRDB542
It's been up a while. I've had 5G home internet since summer of '22. My cell phone is a Moto G7. Internet runs notably faster over wifi and the "5G" box than it does just the phone itself.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
So I recently got FirstNet, and I got an app that shows a bunch of stats about the tower your on; so far my phone hasn't used band 14.

Is there any way to tell if your phone is on "regular" 5G vs "FirstNet 5G"? Or is it basically the same thing? A lot of times my phone isn't on 5G at all, but I was just curious about that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
FirstNet is currently running on top of the AT&T network.
It is essentially the same network. The phone will register with the FirstNet core if you have a FirstNet SIM in it.

5G really isn't built out that much, so not getting 5G isn't surprising.

Band 14 isn't installed at every tower site. Technically AT&T is still building out FirstNet, although the AT&T network does support it. It might be that the sites you connect to don't all have Band 14 installed. Some may get it in the future.

Having the FirstNet SIM will get you the network priority you need, even without Band 14.