Att Upman;

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbrady

I would like to see a feature added to the BC396T and the BC996T scanners to allow user to see the radio IDs along with the regular talkgroup IDs ,is this possible? Thanks Tbrady.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Me too. I've been asking for that feature for a long time, as well as Hex and Motorola display options.

JohnnyGalaga

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Same here, and there's enough room on the display to make it happen. I've always wanted this feature.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I would love it too. But remember that would require much more memory if you got serious about storing IDs. On this note, SD memory cards would be another nice option. Or USB I/O, like transferring data to and from a USB memory stick.

SCPD

QRT
I made the suggestion to Paul a long time ago and he didnt understand why anyone would ever want this. He said Uniden had to determine if the cost would be worth it for new features. I hope he will look at this feature seriously as I think there is the demand.

Somehow I feel this would be a better feature than the ability to flip your display on your scanner. *just teasing here .. but I hope that feature didnt cost much*

I too would love to see the display of the radio id for the transmitting radio in real time just like the real radios. Besides it could easily be turned on and off if desired. The information is in the control channel .... so it isnt a big deal.

I know it would be a feature that would be a benefit for those of us that use Unitrunker / Trunker / Etrunker type programs and want to know the radio id.

Just my 2 cents worth ... and I personally WOULD LOVE to see this feature in Uniden scanners of the future (or better yet .. via a flash upgrade to present models as well)

So guys ... lets keep the pressure on Uniden and maybe they will add it.

Last edited:

Joseph11

It would also be great to see DTMF, MDC-1200, GE-STAR, and FleetSync decoding. But, I don't think that's (well, maybe DTMF) is going to happen.

SCPD

QRT
tbrady said:
I would like to see a feature added to the BC396T and the BC996T scanners to allow user to see the radio IDs along with the regular talkgroup IDs ,is this possible? Thanks Tbrady.
Take this as my vote for YES, would love to see this feature on my next Uniden or GRE scanner,

rhubbard

Uniden Readout

The serious Uniden customers I have spoken to all agree that the radio ID of the transmitting radio in the readout would be a really practical addition.

Actually, without it, the exchange is not complete.

vktoo

slicerwizard

edmscan said:
I made the suggestion to Paul a long time ago and he didnt understand why anyone would ever want this.
Ouch. That's not a good sign.

He said Uniden had to determine if the cost would be worth it for new features. I hope he will look at this feature seriously as I think there is the demand.
I'm sure they will (or have already) determined that the demand is not there for the vast majority of customers (Joe Sixpack types don't even know that radio ID's exist on trunking systems)

So guys ... lets keep the pressure on Uniden and maybe they will add it.
I too, would love to see this, but to do it properly, Uniden would have to allow users to create radio lists with alpha tags, and that's not going to happen on any current model. They will probably save this until they can do it right (and use it as a feature to sell us more scanners)

Having said that, adding it now sure would be nice, even without alpha tagging, especially if they would add the ability to grab the current radio ID to the serial control protocol; that would allow a simple external application to provide the alpha tags on your PC.

While they're at it, they could start looking at adding checksums to their protocols in the future as well. GPS receivers have had it forever (and with good reason)

Gilligan

Database Admin
Well even without alpha tagging radio IDs, it would be cool if you could at least store a few of them. Let's say you had a few friends that were officers. Plug them in w/ alert tone and it would beep when they key up. That kind of thing... Or if you knew the radio IDs for the radio techs then you could have it beep when they're keying up a new channel or something...

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Gilligan said:
Well even without alpha tagging radio IDs, it would be cool if you could at least store a few of them. Let's say you had a few friends that were officers. Plug them in w/ alert tone and it would beep when they key up. That kind of thing... Or if you knew the radio IDs for the radio techs then you could have it beep when they're keying up a new channel or something...

In some departments, the officers turn in their radios at the end of their shift, and check out a new one the next day at the beginning of their shift. So if you alpha-tagged a radio as "Officer Smith" or whatever, the next day someone else might be issued that radio, and your alpha tags would no longer be accurate.

Gilligan

Database Admin
W4KRR said:
In some departments, the officers turn in their radios at the end of their shift, and check out a new one the next day at the beginning of their shift. So if you alpha-tagged a radio as "Officer Smith" or whatever, the next day someone else might be issued that radio, and your alpha tags would no longer be accurate.
True, but at least the mobiles would probably be consistent. Then again, they may swap cars around, too. Good point.

slicerwizard

Gilligan said:
That would be really nice, but it requires too many changes to the current firmware:

- upgrade OSW decoder to extract radio ID's from group call grants
- add menu dialog or key sequence to toggle on-screen RID display
- maintain a radio ID list (per system)
- add menu dialogs to add/edit/delete radio ID's
- modify serial programming protocol to support radio ID lists
- modify UASD to support radio ID lists

The first two aren't that bad, but the last four are show stoppers.

The best we can hope for with current scanners would be a simple on-screen RID display.

durango5550

Booger D.
if ya needed more memory why not get rid of some of the 4000 channels i dont know anyone that uses that many :)

*sarcastic*

i to would love to have a unit id to tag the crusiers and such

Dan

Fiveo

Premium Subscriber
(Joe Sixpack types don't even know that radio ID's exist on trunking systems)

Uh, Joe Sixpack types don't spend $500 on trunking scanners either.

Chalk up another vote for the ID display.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Past due in what sense? What does the radio not do that it is supposed to? Don't you think they would spend their resources on additional features for the next scanner instead?

robwilson

rdale said:
Past due in what sense? What does the radio not do that it is supposed to? Don't you think they would spend their resources on additional features for the next scanner instead?

Not sure if Dave was referring to enhancements or not, but there is an update in the works to fix TGID operation along with other minor issues. Paul's comments are at the bottom of this thread:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39534

Status
Not open for further replies.