Attenuation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
I have a GRE PSR600 and I am a bit lost about the attenuation. I am in Union County, NJ and primarily monitor edacs systems and digital systems. I tried to read up on it but it is foreign to me. What exactly is attenuation and what is it's purpose? I don't know if I should have it turned on and if so to which setting... Global or otherwise?

SCPD

QRT
An easy was to put it is your scanner picks up a signal like your would hear a persons voice.
Put ear plugs in your ears and try and hear the conversation with that person. You most likely cant. That is Attenuation. Your scanner has earplugs to and that is Attenuation.With it on your radio with not be as sensitive to the signal it is picking up as it would be with it off.

Hope this helps a little.

jackj

About the only time you would use attenuation is if you are having problems with a near-by transmitter desensitizing your scanner. A very strong signal on a close by frequency will overload or block the front-end of your scanner and you won't hear the stations you want to monitor. The attenuator will reduce the interfering signal, maybe to the point your scanner can handle it, enabling you to copy the desired signal. Unfortunately it will also reduce the desired signal so it may not solve all of your desens problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.