Attic Antenna Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeB

Greetings. I am in the process of buying a house. This is hopefully going to give me an opportunity at some point, to upgrade or create a new "shack" to play with. I am thinking about utilizing the attic for a few antenna's. I am sure I can put them outside but I am thinking I do not want to put a handful of antenna's on the roof. I would be aiming to keep things as clean as possible.

My question is directed mostly towards others who have set up more than 2 or 3 antennas in the attic. I know that every antenna application is different but what were your overall results? I am have (2) UHF Yagi's, (1) discone, (1) scantenna, (1) mon-33 base antenna, (1) UHF base antenna. Would mounting multiple antenna's interfere with one another? It is not my only option but I am trying to keep things clean and keep the house aesthetically neat. I have seen a few attic applications but didn't see much in the way of feedback for these types of setups.

TIA

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, you would need to space them out as far apart as you can, otherwise there is a chance of interaction between one or more antennas.

But why shoot yourself in the foot? Putting the antennas indoors will cut how far away you hear things - and depending on the construction of the house, maybe a good bit. I know you said you wanted to keep things aesthetically pleasing, but sometimes you gotta do what a good scannist is going to do, hi...73 Mike

LukeB

I fully agree that high and proud is the way to go. I have done what I could to plan out the house(s) we were interested in based on the elevation...lol beggers can't be choosers so I have a decision to make. I am going to be living in this new home for years and do not want to piss off the neighbors. Also, there is no way to mask or hide these antennas on the outside of the house as there are no trees in the front or back of the house. Kinda putting the cart in front of the horse but I know people utilize their attics and was hoping there was enough positive feedback to do something similar.

engine3

Premium Subscriber
If your neighbors are gonna be upset about what you do with your own house I'd think about a differant house

LukeB

If your neighbors are gonna be upset about what you do with your own house I'd think about a differant house
That was a general statement. I am still in the buying process and do not know the neighbors so I don't know if they would be pissed or not but just trying to think of options and be open minded about the situation.

wise871

Database Admin
FYI, I have numerous scanner antennas (4 ea) mounted in my attic and they work great. The reason I have them in the attic is due to high winds and lighting. Living along the Florida gulf coast I don’t want my antennas to be damaged during hurricanes if one comes our way. Also this area is known for its heavy lighting activity. There are many others with attic installs and there happy with the results.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I have a old modified RS mag mount on a old metal shelf for a ground planeand also a Diamond discone set on a tripod in my attic and my reception is good so far, I'm getting farther than I expected. I'm still tinkering around so my results may vary eventually. I'll let you know how I make out.

Status
Not open for further replies.