Attitude of Ogden Dunes PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketMan1

I am curious, has anybody else had an experience with this Officer Reeder of the Ogden Dunes Pd? I have heard NUMOROUS horrer stories about this officer from both contractors and homeowners alike, but never had the unfortunate privlage of meeting until today.

I was delivering a dumpster on Diana st. there was a road closed sign but I was under the impresion the house I had to go to was just a few houses past the sign, as I went around the sign I came upon a van with yellow flashing lights, as I started to get out of truck to ask him where this house was and could I get to it, this officer pulls up with lights flashing, almost hitting me with his car as if I just robbed a bank, and before I could open my mouth and ask him what I was going to ask the van driver, he yells out " are you too stupid to read the sign!" I said I was delivering a dumpster and...before I could finish he screams " I don't care what you are doing and where you are going, the sign says road closed! Now get in your truck and get the hell out of here" So I said no problem officer, but I think we could have handled this with out the attitude.
At that point he jumps out of his car, puts his hand on his gun and yells, " you want attitude, I'll show you attitude!" " I want to see your license and registration, NOW!" So I hand him my license, and as I was reaching for the registration he yells " I said your registration, NOW"
So he runs a check, comes back and said, "I see your license is clean, I could write you A ticket for disobeying a sign, how would that look on your C.D.L!" I told him he needs to do what he needs to do, at that time he hands me back my stuff, and tells me to leave again, So I made a click noise and pointed, and said no problem officer have a nice day, at which he responds "if you make a horse click noise at me again I'm going to arrest you!" "also, everytime you come here, I will watch every move you make, and if I see you do ANYTHING wrong or think you did something wrong, I will write you a ticket or arrest you!" So, after I turned around, found where I had to go, got the dumpster dropped, I got back on the road, and guess who pulled right behind me the second I left the driveway, thats right, Officer Friendly! he followed me all the way to the entrance of the community.
At that point I had enough and pulled over, walked into the Police department, and asked the dispatcher who I contact to file a complaint, she took my name and number and said the town board would contact me. As I was about to pull out this Officer Reeder comes speeding around and cuts me off, runs up to my tuck and screams " Do I have a problem!" I said "Yes I do, YOU! I did nothing wrong to warrent such disrespect", so he says again, "The sign said road closed, you were too stupid to understand that, so are you going to file a complaint with the Town Board?" I said yes, he then says "well I guess I'll just have to write that ticket from before!" So I asked him, "Your going to write me a ticket from 30-45 minutes ago, just because I'm not going to stand for your abuse?" He tells me it's in his right to do so, so I told him to do what he think he needs to do, he walks back to his car, and speeds off, without another word.

dcg729

Wow,

As a former LEO I know that there is always two sides to every story, I would love to hear his . I cant imagine in my wildest dreams such behavior. I hope you get the satisfaction you deserve from the town council.

SLWilson

I believe him !

dcg729 said:
As a former LEO I know that there is always two sides to every story, I would love to hear his . I cant imagine in my wildest dreams such behavior. I hope you get the satisfaction you deserve from the town council.

We have an officer in our little town JUST LIKE that. And, the "other side of the story, I KNOW" because I worked there saw stupid stuff like that from him almost daily.

This guy bullies everybody. Even the officers he works with. Tears up cars and equipment all of the time. So, don's say it DOESN'T happen. I've seen it (I was a dispatcher there 19 years!!!) first hand !!!! :confused:

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
There are nuts everywhere, Rocket. Dorks like that don't belong in a police uniform. They're an even worse embarrasment for the rest of the department, because people tend to judge the cops by the worst examples available.
Be sure to follow up on your complaint. Oh, and get yourself one of those pocket tape recorders, just in case officer Friendly decides to stop you again.

RocketMan1

dcg729 said:

Your absolutly right, there is two sides to every story, and if I didn't experience it first hand I would not have believed a person such as this could ever be in a position of authority, when these homeowners and contractors would tell me about the Officers in this community I thought it was all exaggerated, it's NOT!
And now I'm starting to have my doubts that the dispatcher will pass on my info to the Town Board members, so if anybody has any contact info for me please pass it along. Thanks.

schnit

This story doesnt suprise me at all. Despite the every-so-frequent advise of 'just be polite when confronted by police', some cops simply enjoy being *******s. I think some cannot find respect in any other facet of life, so they get a badge and take it.

Certainly I do not speak of all officers out there. In my line of work I have dealt with several and most are very pleasent to be around. However some, just like shoving the ordinary working guy around, because they can, what are you going to do?

Your lucky this cop didnt arrest you simply to show you that "he could".

RocketMan1

schnit said:
This story doesnt suprise me at all. Despite the every-so-frequent advise of 'just be polite when confronted by police', some cops simply enjoy being *******s. I think some cannot find respect in any other facet of life, so they get a badge and take it.

Certainly I do not speak of all officers out there. In my line of work I have dealt with several and most are very pleasent to be around. However some, just like shoving the ordinary working guy around, because they can, what are you going to do?

Your lucky this cop didnt arrest you simply to show you that "he could".

What I am going to do is contact the Town Council, and if the council just wants to bury their heads in the sand about this, I'll just contact the local news media, and see if thier interested in the Gestapo law enforcement tactics of this officer. I would really hate to do the later, because I have met a lot of home owners in this community and they are all wonderful people, that are fed up with this officer and his intimidation and threats, but I feal are afraid to stand up to this A-hole, and I don't want to give this community a bad name because of this idiot, but something has to be done.
I would have loved it if he arrested me, I could have used the money from the impending law suit.
I too have had the privilege of meeting a lot of great officers, that is why when I run accross one such as this it makes me so angry, I want to put an end to it before it gives all officer a bad name.
I'm still looking for others that are willing to share their horror stories about this officer, the more I bring to the board, the better chance I have to prove my case.

dcg729

Mr. Wilson, Please reread my post.

No where in the post did I question the truthfullness of the original poster, in fact I stated that I hoped he got the satisfaction he deserved. How you could assume otherwise is a mystery to me, Again the last thing we need is this type of badge heavy person on the streets, I thank you in advance reconsidering my post. DCG729

RocketMan1

dcg729 said:
No where in the post did I question the truthfullness of the original poster, in fact I stated that I hoped he got the satisfaction he deserved. How you could assume otherwise is a mystery to me, Again the last thing we need is this type of badge heavy person on the streets, I thank you in advance reconsidering my post. DCG729

I will apologize for him, it's just that on this forum if you say anything bad about law enforcement people you tend to get attacked by other forum members as if you committed a cardinal sin, I think he was just going on the defensive before the attacks began, I'm a bit supprised myself that I haven't got any threats or name calling yet because some members feel that police officers s**t don't stink, and because they wear a badge there is no way they can act like this, commit crimes, break the law, etc....but what they fail to realize is police officers are human like the rest of us and are prone to the same mistakes, you read about this everyday in the papers, I hear the stories from my relatives that are cops and their friends, it's amazing sometimes just how thin the line is between a cop and a crook (NOT ALL COPS!)
So again I apologize for him, and if it makes you feel any better I personally didn't think you were calling me a liar.

JoeyC

RocketMan1 said:
I would really hate to do the later, because I have met a lot of home owners in this community and they are all wonderful people, that are fed up with this officer and his intimidation and threats, but I feal are afraid to stand up to this A-hole, and I don't want to give this community a bad name because of this idiot, but something has to be done.

Sounds to me you aren't alone if this statement is true. Get your group of people that are fed up and file your complaint collectively. If there is a problem you'll have better response as a group than as a single complainant.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
This reminds me somewhat of the thread that was going on regarding the Baltimore incident. There are indeed two sides to every story, and there are indeed renegade law enforcement officers, without a doubt.

I sincerely hope for your sake that what you have typed here is 100% true. If a complaint does go forward and begins to involve any legal action, I would anticipate that a good lawyer will do his/her homework and spend some time mining data on the internet. If they find this thread, and it isn't a true statement, well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libel

I'm not saying that it isn't true...but I hope it is, for your sake. Provided that it is, it's unfortunate that a few bad apples seem to give the entire law enforcement community a bad name. I've also seen people blow simple situations out of proportion because of their dislike for law enforcement in general. If you have a legitimate complaint, by all means file it; letting such a person get away with such a mentality is not in the best interests of citizens OR law enforcement. I'm not sure blurting out the complaint in a public forum is in anyone's best interests, however. But seeing how you did...just my .02. :D

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
scancapecod said:
This reminds me somewhat of the thread that was going on regarding the Baltimore incident. There are indeed two sides to every story, and there are indeed renegade law enforcement officers, without a doubt.

I sincerely hope for your sake that what you have typed here is 100% true. If a complaint does go forward and begins to involve any legal action, I would anticipate that a good lawyer will do his/her homework and spend some time mining data on the internet. If they find this thread, and it isn't a true statement, well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libel

I'm not saying that it isn't true...but I hope it is, for your sake. Provided that it is, it's unfortunate that a few bad apples seem to give the entire law enforcement community a bad name. I've also seen people blow simple situations out of proportion because of their dislike for law enforcement in general. If you have a legitimate complaint, by all means file it; letting such a person get away with such a mentality is not in the best interests of citizens OR law enforcement. I'm not sure blurting out the complaint in a public forum is in anyone's best interests, however. But seeing how you did...just my .02. :D

I agree with You, anytime You make a formal complaint, are in process of legal action, in mediation, or etc and etc. You don't go public, you stick with the process.

Go-24

Yes, I also would agree thats the best way to go about it, but if some idiot rushed up on me and ... "puts his hand on his gun and yells, " you want attitude, I'll show you attitude!" I would take it as a personal threat and blame my subsequent actions on my intermittent explosive disorder. (sure to be a defense soon enough)

Dorpmuller

Don't pass go-don't collect 200$! I'd have my ass to the newspapers so fast it'd make their heads spin. I'd make it so public it'd be ridiculous. I might even start a web page.

******* cops really piss me off. One of my jobs in my other life was as a two-way tech dealing with area towns. It was about 50-50 between cool cops and certifiable psychopaths. No kidding.

You are right - keep pursuing this and let us know how you make out. Don't back down!

Rich

RocketMan1

garryd451 said:
I agree with You, anytime You make a formal complaint, are in process of legal action, in mediation, or etc and etc. You don't go public, you stick with the process.

Normally I would agree with that statement. The reson I went public was in the hopes of getting people to come forward. The more I bring to the town council, the better my chances, if I go with just my own complaint they'll laugh me right out the door, especially if they are some of the poeple being intimidated by this butknuckle. If I can't get more proof, more people comming foreward, my battle is over before it began, after all, it's my word against a cops, and we all know they never do wrong (insert rolling eyes).

KC1UA

Database Admin
So the answer is to go public in a forum where 99.999% of the people that read it aren't from your town? Very interesting approach, one that leads me to believe we're not hearing the whole story. I hope you have your ducks in a row; you'll likely need them to be.

garryd451

Pokagon, Michigan, half way between Niles and Dowa
I beleive your story!!! But what's have been happening in Roseland Indiana for the last two or three years, make me think that what the press thinks and what the public thinks don't matter. Both the Press and the public has been very very vocal about the things going on in Roseland. In fact, when the peole of Roseland says anything at a Board Meeting they are automaticaly kicked out of the meeting by the president of the Town's Board. And in Roseland these problems have not only been with the Police Department, the problems has been with the Town's Board too. There's articles every week in the South Bend Tribune, WSBT Channel 22, WNDU Channel 16, and WSJV Channel 28! And like I have already mentioned making a complaint at a the Town's Board meeting just gets You kick out of the meeting.

NightFox

scancapecod said:
So the answer is to go public in a forum where 99.999% of the people that read it aren't from your town? Very interesting approach, one that leads me to believe we're not hearing the whole story. I hope you have your ducks in a row; you'll likely need them to be.

Massachusetts is that way
icon2.gif

KC1UA

Database Admin
Actually, it's a bit to the northeast...not due east. How long did it take you to work up that gem? Take a scroll up the list and you'll notice that several other people from out of your state posted here as well. I'm the only one you disagreed with, though...which is fine by me, but your disagreement with my statement does nothing to change my thoughts on the matter.

Some people have too much time on their hands, and can't see the forest for the trees. If you don't like opposing comments about situations like this, don't post them in a public forum for the WORLD to see.

Like I said before, there's no doubt that there are renegade police officers. However, I'm coming up on 18 years in the law enforcement biz, and I can tell you that from my experiences a majority of such claims as stated above are unfounded. If it is legit, this is really the last place on earth the gentleman that posted it should be *****ing about it. If it's not legit, it's potentially libel, which is potentially an issue.

Enough said on my part. If you don't like my comments PM me, I'll waste no further bandwidth here.

hoser147

Carry thru with your complaint and if you can get local residence to accompany you to the board meeting and address the situation you will be better off and by all means carry a small recorder with you when you are in this town. You might even consider haveing the press go to the board meeting. Protect and Serve is what 99.9% of LEOs do but there are bad apples that shadow the good this guy needs to be in a different job if he cant work with the public in the town to make it a better place to live. If the press has already made an issue with the town board the officer probably has some connections or relatives on the board and they dont want to act against him. lBest of luck.............hoser147

Status
Not open for further replies.