Attn: 310 and 410 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you get the "CHECKSUM FAILURE" error while uploading data to either the 310 or 410, forcing a full reset before it will finally take the new programming, please post in this thread.

I've had the error happen to me at anywhere between 0% and 98% of the uploading progress, it seems quite random. I've also had it happen with all three software packages, so it's apparently not an issue specific to any one software, furthering my belief that it's a hardware bug.

I submitted a ticket to GRE Support over a month ago, but haven't gotten any resolution to the issue. I'd like to get everyone who has this issue in one place so we can refer GRE Support to this thread, hopefully that will prompt them to look at little deeper into the issue.

Let's please use the following format for our posts, to keep it organized:

Scanner Model:
Serial #:
Firmware Revision:

USB Cable Model:
FTDI Driver Version:
Serial Port BPS:

Operating System:
Programming Software:
Software Version:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Scanner Model: PSR-410
Serial #: 001121
Firmware Revision: 1.1

USB Cable Model: RS 20-047
FTDI Driver Version: 2.8.14.0 (3/18/2011)
Serial Port BPS: 115200

Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP3
Programming Software: Win500
Software Version: 2.02

and

Programming Software: PSREdit310
Software Version: 1.01

and

Programming Software: ARC310
Software Version: 1.0 and 1.1

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
PSR-310 running firmware 1.1. USB cable RS 20-047 with FTDI driver 2.18.14.0. Operating system Windows 7. Win500 software version 2.02.

I'll keep my eyes on this one -- I've been using Win500 and have had a couple of hiccups where the cable was connected to the PSR-310 and the first attempt at uploading up a new scanner file doesn't cause the radio to recognize programming is being sent its way. It will just sit there as if nothing is happening. Then if I try again a second time, the programming gets recognized and uploaded just fine. Might be how the RS 20-047 cable is seated or something.

One of the first times I went to program the 310 I did run into a problem where the scanner stopped about halfway through the uploading process, reset itself, and didn't take the programming. A second try worked just fine. Hasn't happened since.

Even so, with these couple of glitches, I haven't noted any adverse affects so far.

halftime

Premium Subscriber
I don't have all that information handy, but I have had it happen several times. I traced it to trying to load edacs into the scanner (Las Vegas info) for a trip. Once I eliminated that haven't had a problem since. The scanner was a 410.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Grin and bear it!

This has happened to me on my 310 more than I care to count. I use ARC-310 and Win 500. It happens on both. Usualy a second attempt clears everything up. I have just learned to accept it and deal with it. I know it is a pain in the rear but unless someone figures out the exact cause of the problem, there is nothing we can do but grin and bear it......

Manny

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I don't have all that information handy, but I have had it happen several times. I traced it to trying to load edacs into the scanner (Las Vegas info) for a trip. Once I eliminated that haven't had a problem since. The scanner was a 410.

Thanks for the report. Unfortunately it's not just the EDACS system that causes the problem. I've been able to recreate it by uploading just a single conventional object.

This has happened to me on my 310 more than I care to count. I use ARC-310 and Win 500. It happens on both. Usualy a second attempt clears everything up. I have just learned to accept it and deal with it. I know it is a pain in the rear but unless someone figures out the exact cause of the problem, there is nothing we can do but grin and bear it......

Manny

Yeah that seems to be GRE's attitude also. Nice to know they stand behind the products they put out. :roll: The only reason I don't care as much as I should is because I got this thing for a ridiculously low price, otherwise I'd pack it right back up and return it. I was never a fan of GRE, and this just reinforces my feelings (among many other shortfalls the scanner has as compared with quality Uniden products).

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Guys... I agree that the upload failures are an annoyance but what are we talking about here...an extra minute to send the upload a second time? You don't have that kind of time? How often are you uploading files to your scanner?

It always works the second go around for me. Sure I would like to see it fixed and I'm glad someone has submitted a ticket for it but I think it's a big stretch to claim GRE doesn't stand by their products. That said, everyone's entitled to their own preference of brand radio and I won't contest that. I love em both really, but all I can say is I can't "put down" my 410, whereas I got bored with the BCT-15 rather quickly. Both are beautiful scanners for sure but I'm just enamored by the new displays...big, bright, and letters don't disappear when looking at an angle.

Here's an honest question though that just popped into my head...why is this necessarily a GRE issue? Yes they manufacture the scanner to be computer programmable but does not the programming software itself bear some responsibility if the process doesn't work properly/smoothly?

I mean Don has already made changes to win500 to make the software work and communicate better with these new scanners.

Could there be more tweaks needed in all existing programming software to be compatible with these new radios? Bugs are a fact of life with all new products even if the technology is the same.

Thoughts??

wrhenker

I agree! People want perfection in a non-perfect world. I am sure my wife can find faults with me if she looks hard enough, lol. I think GRE makes a great radio in the 410, as well as the 310, but there will always be someone who constantly finds faults with everything. No matter what you buy nowadays, there are shortcomings. The key is to be thankful that we can monitor what we want and, for the most part, we have the access to the equipment to do so. Some people in other countries do not even have that! Besides, it takes every bit of 10 seconds to re-download/upload the info...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yeah, I guess expecting the programming interface to work properly, as it does on two or three dozen other models going back over a decade, is asking way too much. Silly me, I should just be happy with whatever junk from China GRE feels generous in allowing me to spend my hard earned cash on. :roll:

This is exactly why everything today is built like crap and is imported from China...because no one takes a stand against inferior junk. Instead they roll over and take it, or as Manny puts it "grin and bear it" :evil:

I realize I'm in the GRE forum and thus subject to defensive attacks by the GRE Fanboys, but if we're being honest we'll all admit there are several key areas GRE's products fall short in. The piss poor front end being first and foremost, and no having a front end prone to ridiculous overload does not equal "better sensitivity and performance!" That's just what disappointed GRE owners try to tell themselves to make it seem like it was a fair trade off, after they found themselves having to spend an extra $50+ on a filter so they could actually make some use out of the $200 or $500 paperweight. Of course the Uniden sitting right next to the GRE never has that issue, and has just as good or better sensitivity as the GRE.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm only wasting my breath here. We've become a country that willingly accepts mediocrity or failure without protesting or putting up a fight. A disposable society that figures it's easier to throw something in the trash and buy a new one if it doesn't measure up to expectation. Or just "grin and bear it" without holding anyone accountable. It's depressing, actually. :(

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I guess expecting the programming interface to work properly, as it does on two or three dozen other models going back over a decade, is asking way too much. Silly me, I should just be happy with whatever junk from China GRE feels generous in allowing me to spend my hard earned cash on. :roll:

This is exactly why everything today is built like crap and is imported from China...because no one takes a stand against inferior junk. Instead they roll over and take it, or as Manny puts it "grin and bear it" :evil:

I realize I'm in the GRE forum and thus subject to defensive attacks by the GRE Fanboys, but if we're being honest we'll all admit there are several key areas GRE's products fall short in. The piss poor front end being first and foremost, and no having a front end prone to ridiculous overload does not equal "better sensitivity and performance!" That's just what disappointed GRE owners try to tell themselves to make it seem like it was a fair trade off, after they found themselves having to spend an extra $50+ on a filter so they could actually make some use out of the $200 or $500 paperweight. Of course the Uniden sitting right next to the GRE never has that issue, and has just as good or better sensitivity as the GRE.

Oh who am I kidding, I'm only wasting my breath here. We've become a country that willingly accepts mediocrity or failure without protesting or putting up a fight. A disposable society that figures it's easier to throw something in the trash and buy a new one if it doesn't measure up to expectation. Or just "grin and bear it" without holding anyone accountable. It's depressing, actually. :(

WHOA THERE BUDDY!
As we used to say when I was younger" It aint that crucial dude!" :roll:
I have NEVER been known as a "GRE" guy. In fact, I have spent more time staying away from them than anything else. However, I have to give credit where credit is due and also keep things in prespective. The PSR 310 is one very decent radio for the price and all you get. Notice I said decent and not "perfect". If once in a while there is an issue with the upload or download, guess what? I hit send again, and all is well. No big deal man! Does it bug me, no not really, do I wish it would go away, yes! Does it rise to the level of calling this radio "inferior junk"? No, not even close. The radio is one of the better analog portables out today. The price you can pick one up for is not too shaby either. Find me a modern piece of electronics that has not had one single problem somewhere in its line. You can't and you wont! Yes, I do agree that some things are not made today with the same quality of yesteryear. Fine. But to what point do I reach a level of disatisfaction to the point of calling it "junk"? As long as it does what the manufacturer says it can do and in a satisfactoty manner, I am happy. Different strokes for different folks. I love my PSR-310 and I use it daily without any problems. I choose to "grin and bear it" because in the grand scheme of things, a little delay in upload or download, which can be remedied in seconds, is NOT that big a deal! It really isn't! Proper prespective, that's the point I'm making here....

Manny

Last edited:

wrhenker

And just who are we going to complain to? Look, its just like everything else in this country - DISPOSABLE. No matter how good they make something, there will always be room for improvement and people who complain.

K3DRQ

Premium Subscriber
I have that happen, just reflashing solves the problem. I use Butel's ARC310.

I wonder how many flashes the radio can take?

bama9999

I know you're talking about GRE radios specifically here, but since mine is a Radio Shack model, which is made by GRE, I thought it worth mentioning. My Pro-197 also does this sometimes. However, using the same cable, software, etc... my Pro-106 has never done it. The 197 I have is newer than the 106.

N8IAA

Chauffeur6, does it give you the error using all three software programs? Or, is it just a particular software? You never mentioned that in any of your posts on the problem.
Larry

zl2taw

Scanner Model: PSR-410
Serial #:
Firmware Revision: 1.1

USB Cable Model: RS 20-047
FTDI Driver Version: 2.8.14.0 (3/18/2011)
Serial Port BPS: 115200

Operating System: WinXP SP3
Programming Software: ARC310
Software Version: 1.1

Same issues here, though with the port speed set at 115200, it has reduced the amount of times it resets.
I have also lowered the latency timer to 4ms in the advanced settings (which seems to have helped)

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Same issues here, though with the port speed set at 115200, it has reduced the amount of times it resets.
I have also lowered the latency timer to 4ms in the advanced settings (which seems to have helped)

Thanks for the post. I've made adjustments to every possible setting, to no avail.

This is 100% a firmware bug within the scanner itself, as evidenced by the fact that the error NEVER occurs when programming a fully reset "clean" scanner. The error only occurs if you try to overwrite the current programming.

Also, to anyone questioning how often I program my scanner and why I should care about this "minor" issue: I usually program it a few times a day, because I use the scanner to hunt new frequencies and look for PL/DPL changes to existing frequencies. Do the math, all those resets and "extra minute" adds up. So please, don't talk to me about "minor inconveniences", it's my right as a consumer to expect the brand new product I paid for to perform as expected.

Clearly GRE either can't find the bug, or don't care enough to find it, so we're stuck with it. Last GRE product I ever waste my money on, that's for sure.

KB4REA

Radio Aficionado
Well, Uniden's support isn't any better apparently. It's taking a pounding right now in this thread. When I read about the legitimate gripes people have there, I'd say re-flashing a radio twice is a minor thing...just saying.

But you know we all are biased to whichever brand of radio we favor more. If you're a "GRE guy" then most likely you are willing to overlook certain support issues that they may have, and the same if you're a fan of Uniden.

But I hear ya ...and I'm trying to disagree without being disagreeable. If I was uploading to my scanner a few times a day, this issue would irk me too.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Don't get me wrong, I think customer service and support is down the tubes system-wide. In GRE's defense, it does seem like they push new firmware updates more frequently than Uniden does. Although, of course, that could be interpreted by some as more bugs needing to be fixed. Listen, I know I'm getting on GRE a bit here, but it's because the 410 is my first GRE product and I'm annoyed with it already. The performance is fine otherwise, I really have no major complaints (typical GRE front-end overload aside, I knew about that going into the purchase). I guess it's just my opinion that Uniden's products seem to work a little better out-of-box, but I admit I'm fairly biased and this 410 hasn't done much to change that opinion.

Anyways I don't think you're being disagreeable at all. If anything, I'm the one who's venting in this thread. I guess I should just let it die, there's plenty of other more significant stuff to stress about in life! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.