ATTN Canadian Feed Providers - Information from Industry Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovy6

Sorry if I wasn't clear here:
I had moved on from the law. I wasn't discussing at this point whether it's illegal (I dont live in Canada.).
I just meant in general I don't think it's wrong for the media to play audio if a cop (god forbid) gets hurt.
morally, not necessarily legaly

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

"Why is it wrong for the media to broadcast such audio?"

In Canada, the Radio Communication Act makes that action, with out consent of the agency in question, illegal.

If you want to listen buy a scanner and listen, if you do not live in the city you want to listen to then move there. This is the way the laws work here.

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if I wasn't clear here:
I had moved on from the law. I wasn't discussing at this point whether it's illegal (I dont live in Canada.).
I just meant in general I don't think it's wrong for the media to play audio if a cop (god forbid) gets hurt.
morally, not necessarily legaly

I agree. Police departments who encrypt or otherwhise make it harder for the public to hear what they are doing over the air are missing the opportunity to showcase the hard work they do every day. In this case the comms heard were shocking but they highlighted the type of sacrifice every officer may face every time they go on patrol.

SCPD

QRT
I agree. Police departments who encrypt or otherwhise make it harder for the public to hear what they are doing over the air are missing the opportunity to showcase the hard work they do every day.

Unfortunately unauthorized feeds like the one in this case, just make it more likely that they will go encrypted.

scannerboy01

I agree. Police departments who encrypt or otherwhise make it harder for the public to hear what they are doing over the air are missing the opportunity to showcase the hard work they do every day. In this case the comms heard were shocking but they highlighted the type of sacrifice every officer may face every time they go on patrol.
I totally agree with what you just said. I got started into scanning by listening to Edmonton Fire Radio the feed that has live audio from the Edmonton Fire Rescue Services and Edmonton EMS. If it were not for live audio feeds, I probably wouldn't have gotten into scanning. Also, the live feeds let people try scanning without having to buy all the equipment, not having to program a scanner and see if they really enjoy scanning.

Last edited:

Nap

Different strokes for different people. I've got into scanning because I have a long commute on 401 and wanted to hear the truckers on CB radio - they always seemed to know about the slowdowns ahead. The prospect of being able to hear police/fire at a collision site was a bonus.

Live feeds do nothing for me as I wanted this in my car. However I found the RR information on frequencies and programming to be extremely useful (thanks to Lindsay and all the people helping to keep the database updated).

Anyway my experience with the scanners led me to join Amateur Radio, I just took my license exam, and now I'm having tons of fun building my "shack'.

Bob_61

Different strokes for different people. I've got into scanning because I have a long commute on 401 and wanted to hear the truckers on CB radio - they always seemed to know about the slowdowns ahead. The prospect of being able to hear police/fire at a collision site was a bonus.

Live feeds do nothing for me as I wanted this in my car. However I found the RR information on frequencies and programming to be extremely useful (thanks to Lindsay and all the people helping to keep the database updated).

Anyway my experience with the scanners led me to join Amateur Radio, I just took my license exam, and now I'm having tons of fun building my "shack'.

Good for you! And I'm next!! May take a little more time thought! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.