ATTN: Canadian Feed Providers - Letter from York Regional Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Please see the attached letter that we received from York Regional Police, Chief of Police Eric Jolliffe.

Thanks,

Attachments

• RadioReference.pdf
    243 KB · Views: 1,488

OCO

Well. the other shoe has dropped...
I would hope that RR chooses to not "disallow such feeds" since there are no US laws being broken. Further , I hope RR can keep the identity of feed suppliers anonymous (if the suppliers have so specified) when requested by the Industry Canada folks (who so far seem to have been out to lunch on the whole scanner issue), since again, no US laws have been broken. It's too bad that the Chief focused on the medium rather than the insensitive media..

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
At this time we do not have any plans to disallow any feeds from our platform unless they violate our content guidelines and feed provider terms of service.

We have drafted a full response to Cheif Jolliffe and will be submitting to his office shortly.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
Well. the other shoe has dropped...
I would hope that RR chooses to not "disallow such feeds" since there are no US laws being broken. Further , I hope RR can keep the identity of feed suppliers anonymous (if the suppliers have so specified) when requested by the Industry Canada folks (who so far seem to have been out to lunch on the whole scanner issue), since again, no US laws have been broken. It's too bad that the Chief focused on the medium rather than the insensitive media..

If push came to shove all that would happen is Industry Canada would write Lindsay and ask for the IP address or identity of the person streaming the content. Lindsay is under no legal obligation to do so and as far as I know there is no agreement between the federal agencies requiring him to.

As you said the chief should have went after the media for playing the sensational audio for they contravened the regulation he quoted. I think what is on the mind of the police in general is they want their operations protected. I understand that, what the police might be missing is the fact that monitoring is not the same it was back in 1980 when I started listening to EMS. The difference now isn’t with the people who monitor as a hobby; it is the media who all think they need to be like TMZ.

W2NJS

Lindsay,

I suggest that you lock the thread until you can publish your reply to the agency that made the complaint. Nothing will be gained by letting members blow off steam or make other comments about the matter.

Regards,

Tom, W2NJS

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

How far is this website willing to go to allow streams? The website itself originates in a different country than the feed.I'm no expert but the law in Canada seems to mean that you may listen to ITC comms but not divulge what you hear. Is streaming comms from Canada on a US site illegal? Time to bring in experts and lawyers.

JoeyC

More fuel for the lets encrypt mindset. Canadian feed providers should read between the lines and heed the warnings. Continue pissing them off (legal or not) and the end will come sooner than later.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
More fuel for the lets encrypt mindset. Canadian feed providers should read between the lines and heed the warnings. Continue pissing them off (legal or not) and the end will come sooner than later.

I wondered how long it would take someone to bring up the encryption non-sense.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
RadioReference Official Response to York Regional Police

Here is our official response sent to Chief Jolliffe.

Thanks,

Attachments

• YorkRegionalResponse.pdf
    256.4 KB · Views: 1,238

bezking

Here is our official response sent to Chief Jolliffe.

Thanks,
I half-expected this to just be a photo:

4d7ny.jpg

SCPD

QRT

Just ask the scanner community in Winnipeg ..

tneff

There are always a couple of ways to look at situations like this, rr.com did nothing wrong. The media, will always one of the lowest forms of life IMHO in the way they handle the "news". Now, what if this happened in a remote area. John Doe is listening to a feed, and comes to the rescue. Everyone would be singing a different toon, praising the feeds with no mention of Industry Canada or the Chief's opinion. It's a horrible scenario, and sadly a person lost his life.

Nap

Interesting link:

The Mark: What Lawful Access means for Canadian online security | OpenMedia.ca

The bill has not passed (yet) but it doesn't really matter. Currently you can do it with a warrant and I don't think that Industry Canada, RCMP or a Police Department would have any trouble getting one.

Then it wouldn't take very long for the Canadian ISPs to produce a list of the owners of the IP addresses that connect to rr with streams.

I have no idea if rr itself is infringing on any laws (I would look at international treaties too) but the fellow canucks providing the streams would be definitely on the hook.

Again, it's not my intention to lecture anyone, I'm "just saying" so we know how we stand.

PCJMedia

Easy To fix

It's very easy to block your IP and no one would have access. It's just a matter of going through a third country. This is what we do to prevent China from blocking our website.

VE5JL

Premium Subscriber
While watching Citynews tonight at 6pm, two paragraphs were read by a narrator regarding their broadcast of audio transmission by Const. Styles.

CBSC Decision*| CITY-TV & CFTO-TV re broadcasts of a police radio transmission

"The majority of the Panel determined that CITY-TV and CFTO-TV were not required to obtain the consent of the York Regional Police Chief to broadcast the recording of the officer’s call. That non-encrypted recording had in fact been initially received on the public airwaves and then re-broadcast on the Internet. It was therefore in the public domain and the York Regional Police Chief was not in a position to authorise (SP) or prohibit the broadcast." Emp mine.

The ramification of this is the police will now encrypted the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.