Attn: North Jersey members

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

I got a submission the other day asking for loads of low-band VHF frequencies that were used by the North Jersey Police Radio Association in both Morris & Passaic counties be added to the database.

If any of you can confirm that those old 37 MHz channels aren't being used anymore, I'd appreciate it (as I'm not going to waste my time putting that stuff in the database, regardless of the fact the licenses are still valid).

Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
Guys,

I got a submission the other day asking for loads of low-band VHF frequencies that were used by the North Jersey Police Radio Association in both Morris & Passaic counties be added to the database.

Thanks!

Scott,

FYI, About 4 or 5 towns including the sheriff's dept in Passaic County have re-licensed their old low band frequencies. From my "inside" sources this is primarily for "back up" to their newer VHF HI, UHF and 800 MHz trunk and or conventional digtal/analog systems. For that "just in case scenario":lol:.

Also it may be a form of holding on to RF spectrum "real estate" or "title deed" for specific frequencies. It's similar from a commercial I heard on owning gold a few years ago. The best hedge against inflation and the falling dollar is to "actually physically possess" the gold. Or for this discussions sake, actually physically possessing the paper FCC license:roll:.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Serious now... Aside from a trucker with a CB or maybe that one old fleet truck, when is the last time anyone's actually seen a public safety vehicle in New Jersey with a low band antenna/radio installed?

With all the internal noises generated by other equipment in public safety vehicles today, it would be dam near impossible for them even to consider a backup system on low band; not to mention all the external noises throughout cities and municipalities... Just try scanning low band frequencies in a metropolitan area these days, nothing but noise when the areas get more populated...

I would be amazed with these counties actually had these radios on hand in their cache as very few vendors today still make low band equipment and maintaining the old stuff would just kill their already tightened budgets...

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
In vehicles I agree, not very likely, but as a station to station backup as NYSP does clearly plausible. Again I just hope they do have the equipment, otherwise easy pickings for another agency looking for channels out in the boonies. I have to dig out an old NIB Maxtrac and program it up and listen.

SCPD

QRT
Lo Band

As to all the interference problems, maintaining functionality etc. However, As for the towns I have mentioned here in Passaic County, they do indeed still have "some" their low bang equipment. It was used last year during the Passaic River flooding.
As to other towns and agencies holding on to "Radio Spectrum Real-estate" is old school thinking but some "towns" are still in old school thinking.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Serious now... Aside from a trucker with a CB or maybe that one old fleet truck, when is the last time anyone's actually seen a public safety vehicle in New Jersey with a low band antenna/radio installed?

If by public safety, you mean police specifically, there aren't many. However, there's still a handful in Sussex and Warren Counties that maintain them on a few cars because their EMS and FD still operate on VHF low.

If you also mean fire/EMS, then there's quite a few. Especially in the north.

Like Ken said though, I'm pretty sure they're just holding onto real-estate. I haven't heard anything on those NJPA frequencies in a long while.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a handful of PD's in Passaic and Morris that still operate on low band? Jefferson Twsp, Denville Twsp and West Milford come to mind.

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a handful of PD's in Passaic and Morris that still operate on low band? Jefferson Twsp, Denville Twsp and West Milford come to mind.

Correct. West Milford is still on 37.0200 146.2 but someone posted that they are using 155.6625 as a crossband. Jefferson Twp. had a pretty strong transmit on their 45mhz freq and I believe Denville is on 45.9800 same freq as Oakland NJ with a different PL (Oakland I believe at one time was dispatched on 37.3000 before going to 46.5600 then 45.9800).

SCPD

QRT
Northern Passaic County towns Pompton Lakes, Ringwood, West Milford, Bloomingdale all have recently have updated their licenses to VHF NFM and UHF and are in the process or have switched. However the all still have capacity still Low Band. PD 37.300 & 37.230, FD 46.380, 46.xx, DPW's 45.xx & 46.xx frequencies. As also aforementioned towns in Sussex, Warren and Morris County.

Passaic County Sheriff still uses 45.22, 45.54 & 44.98 (Para Transit) and is holding on to 44.96, 44.88, 45.42 & 39.68 for OEM purposes.

SCPD

QRT
No PD's in Sussex County are on Low Band, there's five (5) Countywide Fire and three (3) EMS Low Band frequencies in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.