ATTN: UPMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Is there any P25 Phase II scanner in the works anytime soon (a successor to the 396 series)? Harris County's TxWARN P25 sites have had a few Phase II TGs pop up lately; and the City of Houston is close to finishing their Phase II ASTRO system.

safetyobc

Even if there was one in the plans, he's not gonna give you an answer. He cannot comment on future products. Read the 2 below:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/218460-bcd996xt-still-ver-1-04-a-8.html#post1648446

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...5at-new-scanner-announcement.html#post1644738

However, this information was offered up last month:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...new-handheld-digital-scanner.html#post1644047 but that was just a day before the BC125AT was announced. And in the same thread he said: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...w-handheld-digital-scanner-2.html#post1644228 I would keep an eye out for something around CES in January. May be something announced there. May not? It's anyones guess.

Last edited:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I hope something comes along sooner than later, because as soon as the mentioned systems start using Phase II, he's gonna have a lot of people wanting answers*. And no, I am not going to get a PSR800. I would prefer a scanner where you don't need a computer just to change a frequency.

*Mainly wrecker drivers. In the Greater Houston area, law enforcement requests wreckers over the radio.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The "New Digital Handheld" threads were all due to a post by Uniden Australia, not Uniden America.

For the rest, see the link in my signature line.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I was hoping not to turn this thread into another one of those "wish list" threads, but I guess I'll have to.

As I said in my original post, I would like to see a 396XT/996XT successor. And as I also stated, I don't want a scanner where you need a computer just to change a frequency.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I have no knowledge of this, but I would think maybe a firmware update to the HP-1 could accomplish this?

Nope...You're going to have to buy a new scanner if you want to listen to these new systems. Upman already stated in another thread somewhere that it would be a hardware upgrade and that's not going to happen. Apparent at Uniden they do not think in terms of upgrading current equipment, they just want to sell you new equipment. Makes sense from their point of view but not from ours. So we have to wait on Uniden and the others to see what they will do about TDMA X2 and hope the new scanners aren't $600.00 plus dollars. Merry Christmas.:confused:

petrol88

I seem to recall a recent upgrade to current equipment (HomePatrol-1).

OCO

I seem to recall a recent upgrade to current equipment (HomePatrol-1).
It was to areas that are changeable with firmware. There are basic subsystem functions in any hardware design that are beyond mere firmware modifications. While the licensed DVSI chip/software for both IMBE (FDMA modulation) and AMBE (TDMA modulation) do contain parameters that are addressed with firmware, the basic encoding/decoding processes are different and are beyond firmware. This is actually where the people posting about the problems with 396/996XT have a legitimate question, as it would seem that some of the things they would like changed (other than TDMA) are in firmware...

W6KRU

This is actually where the people posting about the problems with 396/996XT have a legitimate question, as it would seem that some of the things they would like changed (other than TDMA) are in firmware...

The change that I keep whining about is actually a function that is on the396T. My 396T is much more pleasant to listen to than the 396XT due to the ability to set the P25 threshold level manually on a per system basis.The 396T has single digit P25 error levels and good audio while the396XT error levels are up around 50 and sounding like garbage.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I hope something comes along sooner than later, because as soon as the mentioned systems start using Phase II, he's gonna have a lot of people wanting answers*. And no, I am not going to get a PSR800. I would prefer a scanner where you don't need a computer just to change a frequency.

*Mainly wrecker drivers. In the Greater Houston area, law enforcement requests wreckers over the radio.

I felt the same about the PSR-800 but bought one anyway because everything where I work was not working on my other scanners. Now that I've had it a while, I love it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

petrol88

OldCJDCOps: I knew all that. Sky was saying Uniden never makes updates, and that was wrong, they do. Of course, they can't magically make new hardware appear in products that have been out for a couple of years.

OCO

OldCJDCOps: I knew all that. Sky was saying Uniden never makes updates, and that was wrong, they do. Of course, they can't magically make new hardware appear in products that have been out for a couple of years.

You obviously understand it, but others seem to expect Uniden to do exactly that. What I haven't figured out is why GRE (and as a result RS) aren't held to the same "standard". Last I knew, GRE still hadn't pronounced the 800 as fully compliant with P25 Phase II - where's the hew and cry for either a firmware upgrade or a statement of compliance? Where's the demands for GRE to upgrade all of their other scanners to TDMA? (Unreasonable? I agree, but what's good for the goose....). The repeated poor mouthing of Uniden for the engineering / business decisions that all three companies are making sure gets tiresome.

Sorry, Paul, I know I broke at least 3 of UPMan's 10 rules there..

scruggsy

Premium Subscriber
this may help you.

Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

from the same wiki link above!

Scanner Support for Motorola X2-TDMA and P25 Phase II TDMA

Motorola's X2-TDMA protocol can be monitored with the GRE PSR-800 EZ-Scan Digital Scanner. The PSR-800 is currently the only scanner model with the hardware to support any form of TDMA decoding (as of August 14th 2011).

On August 13th 2011, GRE stated that the PSR-800's support for P25 Phase II TDMA cannot be confirmed until it is tested live on a system that uses the final Phase II TDMA standard.

Uniden has confirmed that none of their current models support TDMA in any form, nor do they have the requisite hardware to do so, therefore cannot be made TDMA compatible via a firmware update. [4]

X2-TDMA can also be monitored with DSD.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
What I haven't figured out is why GRE (and as a result RS) aren't held to the same "standard". Last I knew, GRE still hadn't pronounced the 800 as fully compliant with P25 Phase II - where's the hew and cry for either a firmware upgrade or a statement of compliance?

You're missing the point, which is that the PSR-800 already contains the hardware to decode TDMA. That has been proven on live X2-TDMA systems. Uniden, by contrast, has not yet released a model that decodes any flavor of TDMA.

GRE has directly addressed the issue of X2-TDMA vs Phase II TDMA with regards to the PSR-800. I know this because I spoke to them directly myself, and included their response in the P25 Phase II section of the RR Wiki. They very correctly pointed out that until a true Phase II system goes live for them to test the PSR-800 against, they can't be 100% certain what changes (if any) might be required.

Where's the demands for GRE to upgrade all of their other scanners to TDMA?

Just like the current Uniden models, they cannot be "upgraded" because they don't contain the proper hardware.

The only people who seem to be complaining loudly and often that Uniden won't "update/upgrade" their current models are those who have a poor grasp of what is involved with TDMA decoding, even after repeated explanations. Some of those people just don't want to hear it. They expect Paul to come personally knocking on their door with a new "magic chip" or firmware fix that he will install himself that will transform their 3 year old scanner into the latest and greatest thing.

Note: None of the above applies to the issues Dan or Steve have been banging the drum about. They have legitimate concerns that have gone unaddressed for many, many months.

OCO

C6...
Pretty sure that everyone is aware of the 800's status as the only system that already has the hardware - note I referred to it as potentially needing a firmware update once it's been tested against a true Phase II system. I should add kudos to GRE for having the first one out with the "goods". But, as far as Uniden not covering any type of TDMA, the low number of X2's sure wouldn't justify it and as you've pointed out, there are still no Phase II production systems in the US to test against, so what's the issue to get everyone's shorts in a bunch over, aside from just railing at Uniden?

My second question, kind of rhetorical, refers to all of the posts from those not understanding the HW/firmware difference that keeping posting demands for a TDMA via firmware... Again, I was responding to a complaint that Uniden only wants to release new radios, not update current ones....

As far as the XT issues, if you check the long "Still at 1.4 firmware" thread back a ways, you'll see that I'm the one that compiled the wish list for that group - I know who wanted what out of that thread, too.

Let me apologize for coming on too harshly, I'm just not sure that a balanced view is always presented, because of the "big company vs. little guy" thing that seems to be prevalent, with the big company always taking the kicks to the shin in silence...

In the spirit of the season - Peace!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
But, as far as Uniden not covering any type of TDMA, the low number of X2's sure wouldn't justify it and as you've pointed out, there are still no Phase II production systems in the US to test against, so what's the issue to get everyone's shorts in a bunch over, aside from just railing at Uniden?

I never said there are no Phase II systems currently online. What I said was that when GRE addressed the issue (a few months ago), there were none online as of that point.

It really doesn't matter if there are 5 or 500 TDMA systems online. Some of these systems are quite large in heavily populated metro areas. The fact that for the past year, the only scanner capable of monitoring these systems is the GRE PSR-800. Like it or not, there are people who really want nothing to do with GRE and would rather spend their heard earned cash on a Uniden. People like to have choices, rather than be told that there's only one device that meets their needs. A $450+ digital scanner is a very big investment to some, and I can completely understand why they would be frustrated with Uniden's lack of any news regarding future support for TDMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.