Attorney files complaint over cop's parking job

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepdx

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An attorney who watched a police officer park illegally in front of a restaurant, then waited around while his meal was prepared, issued the officer a series of citizen-initiated violations.

Bryant filed a complaint as a private citizen alleging several violations, including illegal parking and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle.

story:
http://www.katu.com/news/local/17943349.html

If I were that attorney, I wouldn't expect a prompt police response the next time I'm in need of help. LOL

This is what the local DIMWITS are in a BIG fuss about in our area.
Around here, worries about rising fuel prices, gang crime, and a 10 trillion dollar nat'l debt pale in comparison to this heinous crime.

Last edited:

RC54730

mikepdx said:
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An attorney who watched a police officer park illegally in front of a restaurant, then waited around while his meal was prepared, issued the officer a series of citizen-initiated violations.

Bryant filed a complaint as a private citizen alleging several violations, including illegal parking and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle.
Good for him. Police officers are expected to be professional at all times when they're on duty, and if they can't be bothered to do that, they should seek a different line of work.

Some people take a lot of pride in being in a position where they're expected to set an example, and others don't. I can't see why it's unrealistic to expect the same degree of professionalism from a police officer that you would from employees in any other line of work. I would think that cops would like to take pride in the fact that people look to them to set an example.

I have a friend who is a cop, and he got a written reprimand for cursing at some guy during a traffic stop. It's too bad he got a reprimand, but it's great that he's honest enough to admit to his superiors that he did it. He takes a lot of pride in his job as a cop, and he's a very honest guy. Too bad there are a lot that don't/aren't.

If I were that attorney, I wouldn't expect a prompt police response the next time I'm in need of help. LOL
As if you can get a prompt police response in most cities in the first place.

This is what the local DIMWITS are in a BIG fuss about in our area.
Around here, worries about rising fuel prices, gang crime, and a 10 trillion dollar nat'l debt pale in comparison to this heinous crime.
Turn that argument on its head and tell the next cop that gives you a citation for speeding or parking - "Don't you have better things to do?!?" See how far it gets you...

bpckty1

So, tell the attorney he cannot eat while on the job, either in his office or at the courthouse. An officer has to do since he is at the beck and call of the electronic leash, which requires him to be near his office, aka/patrol car.

Have the attorney ride for a week on different shifts with a patrolman, not a supervisor, and see if his attitude changes.

Probably not. Liberal lawyers are set in their ways.

Go-24

bpckty1 said:
So, tell the attorney he cannot eat while on the job, either in his office or at the courthouse.
I would imagine if the attorney wasnt able to find a parking spot at a particular restaurant he would park further away and walk OR choose a different restaurant if he HAD to park in close vicinity!

Laws are laws, just because someone is wearing a badge doesn't give them a right to select which ones they choose. I found it funny as hell that the officer said he wasn't aware there was a law against parking where he did ... how the hell can he enforce the laws if he doesnt even know a simple law like no parking in the yellow - and with a sign posted no less?

Portland brought in $3.3 million from parking citations in 2006 - sure looks like they can dish it out - now they can take it!

The assistant chiefs response is pretty damned funny too - asking an officer to obey laws is "unreseasonable". LMAO!

No doubt "the system" will find in favor of the cop - they usually do in cases like this.

trace1

Why does this remind me of Gomer running around yelling "CITIZEN'S ARREST, CITIZEN'S ARREST, CITIZEN'S ARREST"... ;)

SCPD

QRT
Put it in Perspective! We cry over the lamest things! I have been on ride along with a local PD in the middle of the night when while eating at a restaurant an officer via radio called for help......We all had to run even though the meal wasn't finished.

Most laws are meant for limiting chaos, the officer parked in a red or whatever isn't a big deal. Most of us will never have to deal with an issue on their scale. I say let them have that access. If I was that Cop I would do my very best to look for the parking spot, If not availiable then Park where I can.

txshooter

In some states (Texas) Police vehicles are exempt from all traffic code violations. Illegally parked in front of a eatery allowing quicker response when the officer later might recieve a important call for service. Not a issue in my book.

JoeyC

The way I see it, as long as the officer was on-duty at the time there is no issue. This attorney is only probably trying to seek some sort of revenge for the numerous parking violations he has received himself.

mikepdx

When I posted this story, it's obvious I didn't think it was a big deal, and I still really don't.

What I do think is a big deal is the asst chief stating that the cops shouldn't have to obey the law.

To the Asst Chief:
Lobby the City Council to change the parking ordinance to exempt officers on-duty.
I know that they'd do it in a heartbeat. The Mayor is an ex-Police Chief.
It then becomes legal. Until that happens, it's on the books and enforceable as it's written.
Don't make such a stupid public statement.
You basically said, WE (the PD) will pick and choose which laws we follow.
BAD PR move.

As is all too common, the heat is on the officers on the street,
not on the pencil-pushers in Administration where it belongs.

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
I would imagine if the attorney wasnt able to find a parking spot at a particular restaurant he would park further away and walk OR choose a different restaurant if he HAD to park in close vicinity!

Laws are laws, just because someone is wearing a badge doesn't give them a right to select which ones they choose. I found it funny as hell that the officer said he wasn't aware there was a law against parking where he did ... how the hell can he enforce the laws if he doesnt even know a simple law like no parking in the yellow - and with a sign posted no less?

Portland brought in $3.3 million from parking citations in 2006 - sure looks like they can dish it out - now they can take it!

The assistant chiefs response is pretty damned funny too - asking an officer to obey laws is "unreseasonable". LMAO!

No doubt "the system" will find in favor of the cop - they usually do in cases like this.
I agree, the law is the law...the police are not exempt. If he was illegally parked, he should have to pay the same fine anyone else would.

On the other hand, I do see the need for emergency personnel to be able to respond quickly. A cop (and fire/EMS personnel) needs to eat lunch just like everyone else, and they don't have the luxury of punching out for an hour like many people do. If he had to park several blocks away, that would cause a significant delay if he had to respond to an emergency. I think this is something that was probably overlooked when many cities wrote their parking ordinances, especially since many of them were less crowded and didn't have a parking shortage. This wouldn't be an issue if they amended them to read, "This ordinance shall not apply to marked emergency vehicles operated by on-duty personnel."

bpckty1

Isn't there an ordnance stating that emergency and public works vehicles are exempt from parking regulations? I know several cities have this one on the books to protect their property and employees. I know that this is parroting the above comments, but most cities have these obscure laws that have been forgotten and/or overlooked for years.

Go-24

Raven95150 said:
I agree, the law is the law...the police are not exempt. If he was illegally parked, he should have to pay the same fine anyone else would.
He made the choice to eat here and to park illegally - sure he might have had to eat, but he didn't have to eat / park there. If he felt he need to park in close vicinity to his restaurant of choice - he should have chosen the place he would eat more wisely - there wouldn't be any need to park blocks away.

Is it really a BIG deal - no - but that doesnt mean its right. Would it really be a BIG deal if normal citizens parked in the same local - no probably not, but if they did the city would be QUICK to hand them a ticket for doing so and potentially tow their vehicle at further expense.

XTS3000

If it's ok for a cop to park illegally, where does it stop from there?

The law is the law - cops or citizens.

car2back

*yawn*

I bet he was the kid in school that was always picked on, and now he gets to get back at the "big kid".

If the officer was doing something wrong, hopefully he will be man enough to take his whoopin' and get on with life. :wink:

franka00213

Wow this is really stupid to take a cop to court over!!!

I hope this Police Officer is parked BLOCKS AWAY from where he/she is eating and gets a robbery call to that attorneys office!!! Maybe the Officer got his food first at the restaurant and this made the small minded attorney mad... What a waste of money for the Officer and attorney to go to court over. It wasnt like the Officer was parked in two parking spaces, he wasnt taking up room someone else was going to use. I would feel bad if something happened to someone and that officer had to walk along ways to get to his car and he arrived at the scene just a little to late.

af5rn

GADGETPRONE said:
Put it in Perspective! We cry over the lamest things! I have been on ride along with a local PD in the middle of the night when while eating at a restaurant an officer via radio called for help......We all had to run even though the meal wasn't finished.
First, the cops tend to cry over the lamest things too. If they don't want us complaining, they need to set an example. As was already suggested, if they can sit and run radar on the highway while there are no cops available to respond to my real emergency, then they too have a problem with priorities. You reap what you sow.

Second, in a big city like Portland (where this incident happened), cops don't miss meals unless they choose to. The dispatchers simply hold their calls until they are done, unlike the fire and EMS guys.

txshooter said:
In some states (Texas) Police vehicles are exempt from all traffic code violations. Illegally parked in front of a eatery allowing quicker response when the officer later might recieve a important call for service. Not a issue in my book.
Unless the law has changed since I was an officer in Texas, you are incorrect. The Texas Traffic Code specifically states that an authorised emergency vehicle may operate or park irrespective of the traffic laws only while responding to an emergency or pursuing a violator. Lunch doesn't qualify.

And if there is a city ordinance in Portland that allows it, the chief sure didn't mention it, so I am betting that there is not.

ssd

i cant believe this. what the f**k is he thinking. he is a police officer on the job working. i wouldnt responed to his property for a call.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.