BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Audio and RIDs mismatched during replay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I've attempted to search to see if anyone else has encountered this "bug," but haven't been able to find any results, so here goes:

While replaying recordings from Motorola P25 Phase 1 exclusive systems, the RID display frequently lags behind by one transmission. This does not happen on Motorola mixed mode (analog/P25), Harris P25, or EDACS systems.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix or tweak?

marksmith

It can happen on about any system type. Very often happens when one radio does not drop carrier before the next radio transmits, leaving the previous ID display continued on radio.

Happens on about all scanners on all system types. If you want actual valid ID data, use Unitrunker.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
In almost a full year of reviewing recordings of many system types on my 436, it's happening ONLY on P25 Phase 1 exclusive systems. I have and use Unitrunker. I am wondering if there is a fix or tweak for this particular replay issue, and whether or not Uniden is aware of the replay issue relating to P25 Phase 1 exclusive systems.

marksmith

In almost a full year of reviewing recordings of many system types on my 436, it's happening ONLY on P25 Phase 1 exclusive systems. I have and use Unitrunker. I am wondering if there is a fix or tweak for this particular replay issue, and whether or not Uniden is aware of the replay issue relating to P25 Phase 1 exclusive systems.
If you use Unitrunker then you know that scanners often, with all systems, display the previous user ID, or no ID at all.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Ok, since we've established that this happens on other systems, and that Unitrunker rules, I should point out that, related to my main problem, that I can watch audio and RIDs match perfectly as it happens live, then once they are replayed, the mismatching occurs. Have also seen RIDs displayed live and then they are missing once audio is replayed. In other words, a REPLAY bug. This thread is not about the scanner's inferiority to Unitrunker.

Now, hopefully for some solutions or answers...

UPMan, any input?

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed when monitoring a local P25 Phase 2 system on my BCD436HP, the radio seems to 'fall in love' with the first RID it gets on a talkgroup. There can be a half dozen transmissions, but it sticks with the first RID. I haven't seen this on any other system.

Incidentally, Bolt21, I use both all caps and upper/lower alpha tags in my programming. I use all caps for primary dispatch channels, and upper/lower for secondary channels. Makes it a bit easier to recognize what you're hearing.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
It has to do with Digital processing time... On a mixed mode/Type-2 system it's still not a true P25. On a P25 system, your scanner has to not only decode a digital signal but also has to decode the radio ID all within a split second... It's alot of work, and it's not like an XTS-5000 walkie where it flawlessly works perfect and is tuned precisely. Now, I have a BCD536HP with all modes programmed in it, from Conventional VHF/UHF all the way to Type-2 & P25 Phase-1 & 2 systems, and my local DMR. I have to say I've had it since they first came out and I have not seen this issue you are talking about. I DID notice a slight lag in displaying the ID's from when the transmission begins but that goes back to the Digital processing time it has to do. And as someone else mentioned previously, If 1 radio starts transmitting on the talkgroup before the previous radio's carrier dropped, it will "piggyback" onto the first radio ID cuz it thinks it's still the same transmission. It also could be something with your Digital decoding times, do you have it set to 0ms or 400ms or 800ms, what is the Threshold? Check those out as well... I hope this helps. But I don't think it's a Uniden issue as my 536 works just fine with Radio IDs.

Just a stupid question but have you checked to see if your current Firmware needs updating?? Thanks.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The data comes off the control channel - this is why actual subscriber radios with display ID turned on will always update the radio ID on the display.

The only exception that I can think of would be if the radios are programmed for message transmission vs PTT transmission (its a setting in at least Motorola radios for conversation type and how its handled). I have seen on conversation type the talkgroup will remain active until its finally dropped, and the ID tends to say the same. 99% of Motorola trunked systems use the PTT so that the channel is dropped (on the subscriber side) for reuse if needed. The system controller ultimately decides which channel will be assigned.

So, I would say that its a firmware feature that needs to be improved on the uniden side. Remember, scanners have to make many compromises in terms of features and how it works since it doesn't talk to the controller and only passively listens whereas commercial radios are more involved.

bearcat

I have been watching a P2 system for weeks and I am lucky if it decodes 10% of the RIDs. Many times it does not display a RID when there is no activity all and a conversation starts. I would think it would get at least that one. Whatever the issue was causing this on DMR (CON/CAP) was fixed. On DMR trunking the RID decode is close to 99% now.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
It also could be something with your Digital decoding times, do you have it set to 0ms or 400ms or 800ms, what is the Threshold? Check those out as well... I hope this helps. But I don't think it's a Uniden issue as my 536 works just fine with Radio IDs.

Just a stupid question but have you checked to see if your current Firmware needs updating?? Thanks.

I have this REPLAY problem primarily with Pinellas and Polk P25 exclusive systems. There is no option for digital waiting time. Threshold is Manual/7, which produces the least amount of errors. Firmware has always been up-to-date (latest firmware made no improvement).

As mentioned before, live monitoring will produce RIDs matching the appropriate transmissions. Replay is when the RIDs and audio become mismatched.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have this REPLAY problem primarily with Pinellas and Polk P25 exclusive systems. There is no option for digital waiting time. Threshold is Manual/7, which produces the least amount of errors. Firmware has always been up-to-date (latest firmware made no improvement).

As mentioned before, live monitoring will produce RIDs matching the appropriate transmissions. Replay is when the RIDs and audio become mismatched.

This has been problematic on P25/Phase 2 systems for some time.. I mentioned this in the latest firmware release thread and hopefully it will be addressed in the next firmware release.

Voyager

I have been watching a P2 system for weeks and I am lucky if it decodes 10% of the RIDs. Many times it does not display a RID when there is no activity all and a conversation starts. I would think it would get at least that one. Whatever the issue was causing this on DMR (CON/CAP) was fixed. On DMR trunking the RID decode is close to 99% now.

Latest firmware?

Are you scanning only one site or multiple? Any other systems?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Latest firmware?

Are you scanning only one site or multiple? Any other systems?

1.14.00...one system. Phase 2 RID's don't always appear...it's been mentioned in a thread I found. It's been problematic in previous firmware. Posted this in the new firmware thread when it was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.