Audio bass level "mitigation".

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The capacitor can be connected either way--that's the point of a non-polar capacitor. Convention is to put the capacitor on the +terminal of the speaker, but as long as neither terminal is grounded, it doesn't really matter. Just connect the capacitor in series with the speaker.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Sweet...this should really help my mobile situation as well as our stations assignment desk...less bass in the audio helps voice traffic become more underastandable in a noisy newsroom enviornment. :)

Paul

Ubbe

Also reducing bass will let the speaker give higher audio levels without starting too be overdriven in power and rattle and distort the audio. Though the amplifier still outputs high voltage levels it will be less ampere and watts and should also be able to produce higher but still undistorted audio levels.

There's absolutly no excuse to not have a simple EQ and loudness function in $700 scanners as users are forced to use external devices to match the audio to the room or car or personal taste but it doesn't help when different systems have totally different frequency response in their audio.

SpeakerimpABwhyamp.jpg

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Given the wide variety of EQ curves from system to system and radio to radio, you'd have to be able to define custom EQ curves for each system, down to the radio ID level for them to be useful.

xusmarine1979

I couldn't agree more. Is there a way for us all to make some type of formal request to Uniden or Paul for future feature updates? I think many would benefit from having custom EQ and more volume boost settings. I keep seeing others mention it but not sure if Paul or Uniden may know if there are enough requests to possibly consider it.

I've mentioned that I got my SDS100 last November and I swear that the audio had much more bass and treble then before the other updates.

Ubbe

There was a major change to audio EQ in the latest firmwares. There are EQ settings and levels for both analog and digital modes in old HP-1/2 scanners service menu and I'm positive that they are also to be found in x36/SDS scanners. They could at least make them user accessable. Best would be to enhance them to be used they same way that the filters are used, 4 different EQ personalities that you set somewhere else and then relate to for each trunked system and conventional department. Then you can select the type of audio and level you want for each system.

/Ubbe

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Have not had a chance to mod up a speaker...found a spare 8ohm Moto speaker, but it has a cut cable and I am looking for a spare 3.5mm plug to put on the end.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
OK, here is the GIGANTIC capacitor, no soldering or crimping, just pressure fitted inside the speaker housing. I stuck the wire through the 22awg butt splices, bent slightly to hold secure, then twisted the cut ends of the speaker + lead, mashed the back of the housing back on, all tight, no rattles, no need to crimp or otherwise secure it. The damn thing is much larger than I anticipated! Now that this test speaker is finished, I can work on my work mobile speakers when I get off vacation next week. Total time to mod is probably like 5 minutes per speaker, and all I needed was a wire snipper.

Also gave me a chance to clean out the speaker cone, and remove the Etch-A-Sketch worth of metallic fuzz that had accumulated around the magnet. :oops:

Paul
20191022_070737.jpg

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I discovered something interesting on Proscan when feeding the SDS audio to the PC via the speaker out jack. On the audio spectrum analyzer, my analog trunking system simulcast carrier rumble, centers around 60Hz on the waterfall scope. It will basically peg 60Hz into the red while the actual voice traffic is up around 500-600Hz and much much much lower volume level. That is one of the issues that is ever present in the SDS, that scanners like Whistler simply do not do. And the system connect tone is 136.5Hz, which was not showing up on the spectrum analizer scope in ProScan.

Paul

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If it's only happening on the one system, it's probably a problem with the dispatch console for that system, and the scanners aren't filtering it out like a typical radio.

Do the modded speakers help?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Let me clarify, it has low end rumble on all the local analog simulcast Smartzone systems...it's not consle relateed, and it not received on Whistler or Motorola radios. I can't test the bass reduction until I get into my work vehicle next week...I just wanted to mod this test speaker so I know what I am doing, since the speakers can't easily be removed from the car and I will have to mod them in place.

Paul

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Do you get the 60Hz rumble if you connect ProScan digitally, rather than analog?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it passes everything with all the bass. :(

I threw a few notch filters at it, but they don't eliminate, only lower it a bit.

Paul

mancow

Database Admin
OK, here is the GIGANTIC capacitor, no soldering or crimping, just pressure fitted inside the speaker housing. I stuck the wire through the 22awg butt splices, bent slightly to hold secure, then twisted the cut ends of the speaker + lead, mashed the back of the housing back on, all tight, no rattles, no need to crimp or otherwise secure it. The damn thing is much larger than I anticipated! Now that this test speaker is finished, I can work on my work mobile speakers when I get off vacation next week. Total time to mod is probably like 5 minutes per speaker, and all I needed was a wire snipper.

Also gave me a chance to clean out the speaker cone, and remove the Etch-A-Sketch worth of metallic fuzz that had accumulated around the magnet. :oops:

Paul
View attachment 76449
Did it help?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I don't know, won't know, until i get to work Monday and splice the dealios into the car and listen in the working enviornment at high volume level. The stock bassy tone sounds really nice on a home speaker at moderate volume in a quiet room.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.