• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Audio Combiner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flametamer

Is there a way to combine audio inputs from different sources into 1 set of speakers? I'm trying to simplify a dispatch position and go from 3 sets of speakers to 1, if possible.

Dt

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to combine audio inputs from different sources into 1 set of speakers? I'm trying to simplify a dispatch position and go from 3 sets of speakers to 1, if possible.

Dt

Actually your ears/mind, when two sounds or more are present, better process when the sounds come from different directions. There are devices (I once had one but forgot who made it) which take multiple audio signals (mine would do 4) and put the audio to 2 speakers. It was not a simple stereo mixer as it made the 4 sounds appeared to come from 4 different directions using the two speakers. It was not real expensive device--I wish I still had it or knew where I bought it. This is a far better idea than 1 speaker.

WB9YBM

most equalizers have multiple inputs; you might need the equalizer anyway if you want to "tweak" the sound...

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
most equalizers have multiple inputs; you might need the equalizer anyway if you want to "tweak" the sound...

The problem is that most equalizer will not allow you to spatially place the signals with stereo--that is where a mixer that does really helps.

WB9YBM

The problem is that most equalizer will not allow you to spatially place the signals with stereo--that is where a mixer that does really helps.

The equipment I've seen out there does both mix & tweaks the frequency response (separately or together)--unless you're referring to a fader?

krokus

Premium Subscriber

Dt
Actually your ears/mind, when two sounds or more are present, better process when the sounds come from different directions. There are devices (I once had one but forgot who made it) which take multiple audio signals (mine would do 4) and put the audio to 2 speakers. It was not a simple stereo mixer as it made the 4 sounds appeared to come from 4 different directions using the two speakers. It was not real expensive device--I wish I still had it or knew where I bought it. This is a far better idea than 1 speaker.

It is possible, but as DLW noted, having separate locations is advantageous. On top of the directional differences helping the brain keep signals isolated, it helps with audio clarity.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You didn't say mobile or home/base/console but for my home office/shack I use a mixer and then have some inputs panned left and some right, so that they come out of either the left or right speaker. Works well for me with 7 sources (scanners/radios) being fed into it and then out to a set of studio monitors.

flametamer

I would suggest spreading out the speakers along the desk, to make use of the spatial separation. That would give better benefit than stacking the speakers like in the pictures.
They are mounted to the wall. This is in a mobile command vehicle. Desktop real estate is going to be limited.

Dt

Onelick

100 yards west of the east branch of the Antietam
If this is in a command unit, all the more reason to separate them and not combine them. Having worked in all kinds of command units, the ones I hated the most were the ones that either had one speaker for everything, or the ones that put all the speakers in one spot.

I'm working as the dispatcher/RADO and I have my head down writing or filling out a form, or looking at my computer screen and someone calls me. If they did not identify which channel they were on, and all the speakers were in one spot, how will I know what channel they are on? If the speakers were separated, and labeled, I know just from which speaker they came from what channel they were on. I understand about desk space, I've seen some behind the computer monitors, and others in the ceiling. But at least they were separated.

Hope this viewpoint helps,
Onelick

wcsd45

Mixing board. Many ways to do it. Mine was:

1) HF rig, 2M/70cm rig, two scanners, and one wide band receiver, PC; all separate outputs to mixing board inputs.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...er_Q802USB_Xenyx_Q802USB_Premium_8_Input.html or similar.
The mixing board lets you put (or neccesitates) left, right, pan sound placement to help your brain listen.

2) Mixing board output to small stereo amp input: Fosi, Loxjie among other brands (Amazon)

3) Amp output to ONE set of your favorite speakers, in my case Cambridge Audio Minx Min12. Love them, they’re small and sound good with voice audio.

4) Cabling to match all the connections. Lotsa wires, oh well...Sweetwater.com has a cable finder tool: The Sweetwater Cable Finder or homebrew.

No, it was not cheap, but never going back to multiple speakers. Fun project. Very limited bench space here.

Good luck and 73,

Chuck KC9QBY

Ubbe

It looks as if you have 2 pairs of stereo speakers and 2 speakers will then have no volume control. I believe it's important for a dispatcher to be able to quickly determine where a sound are coming from and to quickly be able to adjust the volume without using windows, or an applications own, software controls.

Try to get hold of 4 speakers with its own volume control, I just cut the lead or disconnect the second speaker in a stereo pair, and fit in the space between the electrical console panel and the display screen so that speakers are separeted and their volume controls are easily reachable.

It's also a good idea to insert a resistor to the volumes ground/cold side to not let it fully mute, so that a dispatcher cannot turn off a speaker completely by mistake.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.