Audio Distribution using the Behringer X32 Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I recently finished building a new home in San Antonio and was able to customize quite a bit of my new office with cabling, speakers, etc.

However, one of the challenges that we all face when owning multiple radios is audio distribution. I've used mixers, the NCS products, and all kinds of different approaches to getting to the point where controlling and routing all that audio becomes "more" manageable. I think I've finally found the holy grail.

The Behringer X32 Rack Mount mixer coupled with the S16 Digital Snake (connected over a single Cat-5 cable).

Amazon.com: Behringer X32 Rack 40-Input and 25-Bus Digital Mixer: Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: Behringer S16 Digital Snake: Musical Instruments

Here is how I manage audio with these two devices. First, I have the X32 Rack mounted control unit right next to my desk in the rack that hosts my "hands on" radios. I then run a Cat-5 cable to the closet where all of my computer controlled radios are. I can then consolidate all the audio from all these devices (including computers, TV, etc) into one distribution "network" to route to 6 different speakers, and up to 32 channels (via an included USB interface with the X32) on a computer for recording, processing etc.

But the real kicker is you can control all mixing and audio processing functions with iOS apps, a PC app, Android etc. So I'm literally able to place an iPad in front of me and control the distribution of all audio from all radios and devices and route to all speakers, on demand, over Wifi.

Here are some pictures that illustrate how I've got this setup. I'll post more pictures of the new complete "Blanton Command Post" just as soon as I can clean things up further and sanitize the environment (I'm paying bills and working on financials so I gotta get all that put away)

Hopefully this gives some good ideas on how to route audio in your multiple radio shacks.

Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 3,500
  • IMG_6864.jpg
    IMG_6864.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,394
  • IMG_7000.jpg
    IMG_7000.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,474

JSTARS03

Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Awesome

That is awesome Except now I have questions.
With the Behringer X32 Rack Mount Mixer it says 32 Channels.
If you plug it into the computer can you get audio off all 32 Channels?
Can you select any channel independently?

I am looking for something better then 20 of those little USB Audio
Dongles for Proscan to record audio from.

Thanks
Shaun

iceman977th

Feed Provider
Coming from an audio engineer, that's pretty slick! I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the X32 series of products as I use 'em and see 'em. Looking at a full size unit for myself to replace my Studiolive, as well as a Rack or Compact for small shows.

JSTAR, to answer your question, yes the Behringer boards do complete multi-tracking as it would in a music recording environment. You just need some form of software to record to such as Reaper. And yes, in theory, if you set up the "Solo" feature he can choose just one radio if he so chooses to listen to.

madmax14304

Premium Subscriber
What other gear do you have in that rack? Just curious. Like you, I have all my gear rack mounted. I'm using a TOA D-2008SP Digital Mixer but you have me curious about this Behringer now. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.