TRX-1: Audio Gain on Specific Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Hello everyone,

Having a slight annoyance on my TRX-1 - I have one particular talkgroup that's insanely loud. I've tried setting AGC on it but it doesn't seem to have much effect. Everything else in that particular P25 system is totally fine, just one talkgroup specifically is always super loud.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reconrider

I have the same issue with a city I'm near. I can have my scanner at volume 14 and when they key up, it seems like it's at max.
Can't figure out how to get it quieter so I can enjoy it.

tvengr

Well Known Member
On each talkgroup, there is a column for ABst (Audio Boost). If you are able to turn it on for all talkgroups without overloading, you could leave it off for excessively high talkgroups to lower the level. Under the Advanced Features/Receive/PCIF Options tabs of EZ Scan, you have ADC and DAC audio gain adjustments. I believe you can use those to bring down the overall audio level in the case of overloading.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
On each talkgroup, there is a column for ABst (Audio Boost). If you are able to turn it on for all talkgroups without overloading, you could leave it off for excessively high talkgroups to lower the level. Under the Advanced Features/Receive/PCIF Options tabs of EZ Scan, you have ADC and DAC audio gain adjustments. I believe you can use those to bring down the overall audio level in the case of overloading.

Good idea! I'll give that a try. Maybe it will compensate for other channels feeling a bit low... I find the internal speaker I end up having fairly loud as is, so might work. I'll report back in a few days on it!

Ubbe

The DAC setting are used to balance the audio level differencies between all analog and all digital transmissions in the scanner. You can try the AGC on the weaker sounding TG's as it is not a compressor that limits loud sounds but the AGC also raise the audio level of weak sounds, but it has to reach a certain level before it starts to react, to avoid increasing low level background noises.

/Ubbe

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The ABst trick also works on leveling Phase 2 audio against Phase 1 audio...P2 will always be super hot on a Whistler.

Paul

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
The ABst trick also works on leveling Phase 2 audio against Phase 1 audio...P2 will always be super hot on a Whistler.

Paul

This particular one is a phase 2 system, fully.

I've done a setup of putting boost on all the talkgroups other than the the incredibly loud ones. Will report back after some testing tomorrow when I'm back in that area for work (My home area is a mixed Motorola Analog/Digital).

Status
Not open for further replies.