HP-2: Audio Garbled

Status
Not open for further replies.

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
I purchased the extreme upgrade for my HP-2. I have noticed lately that the audio is real garbled. I don't know if it has anything to do with that or not, a friend of mine is having the same problem with his here in the same area. Any ideas? I did call uniden, they weren't any help.

Thanks and be safe

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
What specific channels? Garbled could mean that your local agency has encrypted. Or, it could mean reception conditions have changed, affecting receive quality (which routinely occurs to people who live at a reception fringe area in the spring, when foliage increases and attenuates the signal).

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
HP-2 Update

No, they aren't encrytpted. The problem it seems began when I updated to the extreme. It was clear over in LA when I was there--a friend has HP-2 here as well and his is doing the same thing. JPD, Hinds SO, etc here on MSWIN

ansky

Are you by any chance listening to a digital simulcast system? I have one of these in my area and the audio is always garbled because the HP-2 simply does not handle this type of system well.

Mojo2017

On HP 1&2 you might try to set the modulation setting on a -1,-2 or -3 if the frequency you are monitoring is garbled! That can be done on the menu by these steps. MENU/ADVANCED MENU/ADVANCED OPTION/EDIT FAVORITES LIST/CLICK ON LIST YOU WANT TO EDIT-/AWIN/EDIT SITE/EDIT DEPARTMENT/CLICK CHOSEN DEPARTMENT TO EDIT/EDIT CHANNEL/VOLUME OFFSET. THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE: -1,-2,-3, 1-2-3…when you finish click LISTEN!

phask

Premium Subscriber
That does nothing more than raise or lower the volume setting for that TG or channel.

Handy for transmissions that are always low volume - but will do nothing for the issue.

On HP 1&2 you might try to set the modulation setting on a -1,-2 or -3 if the frequency you are monitoring is garbled! That can be done on the menu by these steps. MENU/ADVANCED MENU/ADVANCED OPTION/EDIT FAVORITES LIST/CLICK ON LIST YOU WANT TO EDIT-/AWIN/EDIT SITE/EDIT DEPARTMENT/CLICK CHOSEN DEPARTMENT TO EDIT/EDIT CHANNEL/VOLUME OFFSET. THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE: -1,-2,-3, 1-2-3…when you finish click LISTEN!

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
HP1 and HP2 digital audio Tip

Is your digital audio breaking up at times..... mine was.If your audio AGC is on turn it off should fix the problem if it was on.

reason is that double-AGC will "fight each other".
If the system has AGC (and most trunked systems do), the system will act on any level differences.
Now, if the scanner also acts on the level and the system acts on the level, it will be over-compensated.
Often, the result is audio that sounds like it's under water and nearly unintelligible.
I had this issue on the PRO-96 and turning off the scanner AGC and just relying on the system AGC make the audio about 1000% better.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/329406-hp1-hp2-tip.html

Ubbe

Uniden doesn't have that problem with "double-AGC" as it's AGC are much more intelligent and advanced.

The OPs problem sounds more like a digital bit error garble, not an audio mumble.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.