Audio Hum Problem From Sr. Citizen Question. Fixed Now ? (SDS200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Regarding the Firmware "fix," for the SDS200:
"Set Audio Off Time" which resolves any additional noise you might encounter.

Shutting the audio amp off between msgs sounds like a good idea. Is it ?

But what happens when a transmission is actually being received; is the audio simply over
the hum, and you are hearing both ?

Or in a practical sense, the audio generally "wipes out" the hum when listening ?

Bob

This is a link from UPMan's Wiki page with the explanation:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Shutting the audio amp off between msgs sounds like a good idea. Is it ?

But what happens when a transmission is actually being received; is the audio simply over

Or in a practical sense, the audio generally "wipes out" the hum when listening ?

Bob

I found doing that was even more annoying, it makes the noise much more noticeable! The received audio will almost cover the noise when someone is talking. But with digital having full quieting between talking all you hear is the noise when the carrier is present when the person stops talking but is still keyed up. Tthe noise keeps toggling on and off which for me made it really apparent rather than a steady noise.

seth21w

The sds100 has no hum at all I have both and prefer the sds100. But the new firmware for sds200 makes the hum only come through on comms and it is an effective band aid with some side effects. Even with the new part installed there will still be some hum I dont think some people can perceive the hum but most all are going to until they change manufacture process.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

If you're receiving any noise while a transmission is in progress, you might have other issues going on. First...speaker (if you're using an external one). Second...I would evaluate what the scanner is plugged in to and any other sources which could cause the noise. It's my understanding the mitigation part and "Set Audio Off Time" were not intended to help this issue. Most that complained, mentioned processor type noise when the scanner was silent. If after a few days and trouble shooting and still received a hum during a transmissions, it should be exchanged.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
My first sds200 I got had no issues til like 2 months later when the hum/noise came. I ordered the part from Uniden and installed it. It ran fine for about 2-3 days than it came back. I sent unit off to get looked at and got a replacement from Uniden. Now on 2nd unit the s/n is lower from the 1st one I had. Hum/noise came back a few weeks ago and its in the shop again. I'm waiting on see when I'll get it back........

Joe_Blough

My first sds200 I got had no issues til like 2 months later when the hum/noise came. I ordered the part from Uniden and installed it. It ran fine for about 2-3 days than it came back. I sent unit off to get looked at and got a replacement from Uniden. Now on 2nd unit the s/n is lower from the 1st one I had. Hum/noise came back a few weeks ago and its in the shop again. I'm waiting on see when I'll get it back........
This is sad and I guess you have to pay to ship it back to the shop each time.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Just a quick thanks.
Appreciate the help.
Please do keep me advised if anything changes.

How can a supposedly reputable outfit like Uniden sell "any" of them knowing
about the problem before it is Fully fixed ?

Hard to understand.

Bob
Some people don't consider it to be a major problem. My SDS200 is used in a mobile environment, meaning that any low level hum that hasn't been eliminated by 200 millisecond (1/5th of a second) audio cutoff never overcomes the noise floor of the vehicle. In simple terms, the "hum" is inaudible. When this same radio was used my office, the normal background noise levels also rendered any hum inaudible. The only time I could hear the "hum" before the mitigation part was installed was by turning off every device in the room including the refrigerator. If your personality type cannot deal with even the most minor flaw, and you insist on holding your ear inches away from a mobile radio's speaker, then this radio is not for you. Otherwise, it's a great piece of kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.