Audio Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
I am designing a mobile system for a new truck that I am in the process of buying. I will be running 5 radios inside the truck and would like to minimzie the speaker and mic count. I am looking for anyone that has already designed a working and functional audio mixer. I am able to design one and have actually started the process, however, I know a few of you on here and also batlabs and hamsexy websites have already designed a system. I would be interested in seeing your design schematics if you would be willing to share them.

My radio set up will include the following:

pro-2096 digital trunking scanner
moto spectra for vhf
moto spectra for uhf
edacs ranger or orion for edacs systems
cb radio of some sort.

So the design but be able to handle the the audio outputs of motorola rigs as will as scanners.

Thanks for any help that anyone can give me in advance.

Dave

VHFSMR

Re: Audio mixer

NCS NCS3240 Multiswitcher

The NCS Multi-Switcher is a "mini-console" that lets you switch all operator equipment (microphone, headset, keyer, foot-
For a larger view, click on the picture.
switch, etc) to any of four radios at the push of a button. You can switch between a headset, desk or hand mic, TNC, Phone Patch, Sound Card, etc. The Multi-Switcher matches the impedance, audio level and pin-out of nearly any microphone to virtually any radio including vintage rigs. The Multi-Switcher also switches your foot- or hand-switch and CW keyer to the selected radio.
Works with nearly ANY Microphone or Other Audio Source.
Pushbuttons select one of four audio sources. Matches most any microphone or other audio source to most radios. Preset controls avoid adjustments when switching microphones. Now you can switch between a headset, desk or hand mic, phone patch, sound card, voice keyer, tape recorder etc without plugging and unplugging cables. Two adjustable high gain stages make low output mics and low sensitivity radios WORK and SOUND MUCH BETTER!

Click for larger image Works with nearly ANY Radios.
Pushbuttons select one of four radios. No more connecting and disconnecting cables to use different radios - just push a button. Matches the impedance, audio level and pin-out of most radios including vintage rigs*.

Works with a Foot or Hand-switch.
A foot-switch or hand-switch connected to the Multi-Switcher is automatically connected to the selected radio. Free your hands for contesting and DXing or let a voice keyer control the PTT line for automated operation.

Automatically Switches Your Keyer to the Selected Radio.
A CW keyer connected to the Multi-Switcher is automatically connected to the selected radio. (Optional accessories are needed for grid-block or cathode keying.)

Works with HF Sub-receiver and VHF/UHF Dual-band Audio.
Using stereo headphones, listen to sub-receiver audio for efficient DX and contest operating.

Supplied with Full Cable Documentation.
Ready-made cable kits are available for nearly any radio or make your own from the supplied documentation.

Easy to Use.
Simple one-time setup for different microphones or other audio sources. Built-in microphone level setting indicator makes audio level adjustment easy. Pushbutton switches select audio sources and radios. LEDs on switches show audio source and radio selection at a glance.

Ideal Design for ANY Hamshack.
Small size and efficient user controls improve the operation of any station, from a single radio to all band setups. Place on a desktop, on top of other equipment or mount in a console.

Specifications:

Front Panel Connections
· Mic 1 Connector – 8 pin standard mic jack
o Input Impedance: 200W, 600W, Hi-Z, jumper selectable
o Type: Most dynamic, ceramic, ribbon, electret and other types.
o Pinouts: All 8 pins jumper selectable for Audio, PTT, Ground, Preamp
Voltage
· Mic 2 Connector – 8-pin standard mic jack
o Type: Most dynamic, ceramic, ribbon, electret and other types.
o Pinouts: All 8 pins jumper selectable for Audio, PTT, Ground, Preamp Voltage
· Headphone Connector – ¼ in (6.4 mm) stereo phone jack
Front Panel Controls
· On/Off – Paddle Switch with Yellow Power Indicator LED
· Mic/Audio Source Select – Momentary Pushbutton Switch with Red LED Indicator
· Radio 1-4 Select – Momentary Pushbutton Switch with Red LED Indicator
· Radio 1-4 Transmit Audio Level Adjustment
Rear Panel Connections
· Aux 1 & 2 Inputs
o 8-pin DIN Jacks
o Microphone Type: Jumper selectable for Electret Mic
o Pin Assignments: Audio, PTT, Ground, Preamp Voltage
· Radio 1-4 (connections to radios)
o 8-pin DIN Jacks

Amateur Electronic Supply 1-800-558-0411
www.aesham.com

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input, however, I am not searching for a commercially available unit. I am aware of what is out there. I do appreciate your input though.

I am looking for something that I can customize to my needs. I was hoping to get some designs from other to start off with and go from there.

Any other ideas or designs out there.

Dave

gr8amp

I built a mixer/amp for my install a couple of months back. A couple of pics can be found in the following thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27119

The design was based around a Hitachi HA13118 audio amplifier IC that I scavenged from an old amp. I never did get around to drawing a schematic, but my design is essentially the application circuit provided by Hitachi with the addition of some high pass input filtering (to cut down on the PL tones) and a couple of pots for level control of the two sources (can be scaled for more inputs without much trouble). A relay is used to control the power, and is triggered from the same source that controls the radios.

National semi. has a large selection of audio amplifiers. My suggestion would be to utilize their online parametric search tools and find an amplifier that suits your needs (output power mostly). Use their basic application circuits as your foundation, place a summing network at the input, and build from there (heavy supply filtering, power control, tailor the response to your liking..ect.)

Sorry I can't provide much detail. Mine was literally cobbled together in an afternoon with parts from the junk drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.