Audio not very load??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderblue

Have had this handheld for a few months and has always been a companion. Using in vehicle with a amplified speaker with a mono plug and a stereo ear bud which is mono. Has always had good audio from the internal speaker but can hardly hear it when i have on the kitchen table now. Did I do something wrong? At any rate I need get the procedure to send this radio in for repair.

JamesO

Could be a speaker going, not the first time this has happened.

What is the audio from the headphone jack level like? I this still a strong audio level?

I cannot recall about the 396XT, however, the newer scanners have an unusual "balanced" audio output and you have to be careful about actually grounding or using a non stereo plug in the scanner.

Uniden does have a fixed price repair of about $50 + $10 shipping and of course you have to ship it to Uniden. So expect about $75 for the repair.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You must use a stereo plug, not a mono plug, to connect to ear buds or an external speaker. Otherwise, you will be shorting out 1/2 of the audio amplifier, which will result in the audio not being very load.

For repair (for the internal speaker), go to Uniden's web site, click the upper right corner menu for support, then repair.

fenderblue

I have found that my stereo plug on the earbuds works fine and my radio shack amp speaker w/ mono plug works fine though the mono plug may have hurt the internal speaker. I will have to send it to uniden. What is the warranty period on a 396xt? Bought Oct 2013 I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.