Audio on bcd436/536

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfd901

I have programmed in several trunked and the NJ interopability trunk system inti my 436. The audio is horrible. Very deep and sounds like in a bucket. Is this inherent or is there a way to clear it up?

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if you're aware of it but these scanners are designed with much more professional sounding audio than in the past. People say it sounds almost like a Motorola professional PS radio.

People who have complained about it describe said audio as having much more bass in it. Sounding deeper than other scanners and also more muffled.

By your post I'm not sure if its that or something else or maybe a combination of things. If its just the improved audio I don't think Uniden will fix what is a definite improvement. Other things are a different matter. One thing noticed by DaveIN is a fix of changing the P25 threshhold level to about 5 to pick up systems better and clearer.

gchapel

Is there any EQ control anywhere in the new scanners?

It seems like it would be easy to add some sort of low,mid, high, eq so that the user could adjust the sound quality for the environment and speaker system. Even cheap radios have a tone control.

I have the BCD536HP and the sound quality is generally good but sometimes muffled sounding. I find that it sounds much clearer though when using headphones or a good external speaker.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Gchapel

That's actually a really good idea and would certainly make those wishing a more tinny audio happy while keeping those who like the new audio happy too.

Could solve a lot of the complaints about the audio when you get down to it.

I do hope UPMan reads your suggestion and implements it.

brucewarming

Audio

On WV interop the audio is bass as others say, But compared to the Radio Shack Pro-96 it's great audio. The 96 had a high hiss and gave me a headache.

desert-cheetah

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if you're aware of it but these scanners are designed with much more professional sounding audio than in the past. People say it sounds almost like a Motorola professional PS radio.

People who have complained about it describe said audio as having much more bass in it. Sounding deeper than other scanners and also more muffled.

By your post I'm not sure if its that or something else or maybe a combination of things. If its just the improved audio I don't think Uniden will fix what is a definite improvement. Other things are a different matter. One thing noticed by DaveIN is a fix of changing the P25 threshhold level to about 5 to pick up systems better and clearer.

That's the impression I get from mine, that it sounds more like a professional radio. I haven't really paid attention to whether or not it sounds "bassy" or "buckety", just noted that it sounds quite different from my 106. I'll have to pay more attention to see if it sounds like deep bass or talking in a bucket.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
From what I've seen of comments here it seems mostly to be people not used to the new sound thinking somethings wrong with the audio.

I only have one P25 system I monitor regularly and I think it sounds awesome on the 436 but definitely different than the PSR 600 I have. One other P25 system I got to use it on briefly sounded great too but again very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.