Audio Out on the Pro 106 Headphone Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbtins

Has anyone else noticed that the audio out on the Pro 106 headphone jack sounds like it is "out of phase" when you listen with a pair of stereo headphones? I know the output is not meant to be in stereo, but clearly they do have output for both sides.

The instead of localizing to the center like you would like think mono signals would, it sounds like the sound spreads out beyond the left and right. Same effect when you output to any other stereo system as well.

It's hard to describe the way that it sounds, but to me it most resembles the sound that you get when you have two speakers hooked up out of phase with out each other in a stereo system.

Mike T

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
Not 100% sure but I think it's like this:

There's a "trick" of the way the stereo headphone jack is wired internally that puts the "negative" on the ring terminal and the "positive" on the tip. The shield is connected to both tip and ring through a resistor which then makes it sound like stereo (sort of). When using a mono-plug the ring and chield are connected together giving you full volume on the tip connector.

shadcall

I tried another pair of headphones I have which are stereo phones and again had no trouble. You might want to try another set of headphones to see if you get the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.