Audio Recording 536hp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
Okay, this may have been brought up before, but I couldn't find it so I'm going to ask and if it is a repeat I apologize.

Is there a way to set the 536hp to record the audio of a certain talkgroup? My other scanners are the 996T and the 996XT and in those I can set them to record the audio of a certain talkgroup, but I then have to have them connected to a recorder. With the 536hp having the sd card and it already having the recording functionality for replay, I'm thinking there must be a way to get it to record the audio from a talkgroup or even a UID if one wanted to, but I am having trouble figuring it out. To be honest, I was thinking this was one of the functions of this unit and thus one of the reasons why I purchased it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Okay, this may have been brought up before, but I couldn't find it so I'm going to ask and if it is a repeat I apologize.

Is there a way to set the 536hp to record the audio of a certain talkgroup? My other scanners are the 996T and the 996XT and in those I can set them to record the audio of a certain talkgroup, but I then have to have them connected to a recorder. With the 536hp having the sd card and it already having the recording functionality for replay, I'm thinking there must be a way to get it to record the audio from a talkgroup or even a UID if one wanted to, but I am having trouble figuring it out. To be honest, I was thinking this was one of the functions of this unit and thus one of the reasons why I purchased it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I think the T & XT scanners may have allowed you to select record on a per channel basis but in reality they only recorded what you heard. This is true of the x36 & HP-1 too, they only record what you hear so I was not surprised when this supposed per channel record functionality was removed.

If you scan the HP, PD, SO, & FD but only select the FD to be recorded it will only be recorded if you are actually hearing the FD. Therefore, most of the time you will be hearing the other public safety channels and during that time you will NOT be recording the FD even though it is working a fire and is very active except when the scanner actually stops on the FD will it record it.

The scanner only has ONE receiver.

Does this makes any sense or have I missed an important use of this per channel record function?

Last edited:

medic29

Premium Subscriber
I understand that point of the one receiver but with the ability to make a talkgroup a priority you would be less likely to miss these transmissions. It would still be something nice to have that option.

From the sound of it having the unit record the audio of a talkgroup isn't possible. Is this correct?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
At this point it appears that recording is an "All or nothing" situation. When recording is active, the channels the scanner stops on are recorded. As you noted, when you set priority, the scanner will "go" to that priority channel (and thus record it).

As best as I can tell, each transmission is a separate recording.

When you download the recordings from the scanner to your computer, you'll get folders that are date/time stamped. (I imagine folders are created for file size management purposes.)

As you open those folders containing recordings, the title of the file is the name of the channel. So with sorting folders and deleting the unwanted other recordings, you will end up with the channel you are interested in.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
How do I get it to do this? I'm okay with it recording everything. I just can't figure out how to set that up.

shonc182

Premium Subscriber
You can do Function,Replay,yes (same to turn off) -- Furthermore, you can always hold on a TGID and turn recording on. To review recordings it is Menu, Settings (seems odd), Replay Options, Review Recordings.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Function+replay to start recording (hit “E”)

Function+replay to stop recording (hit “E”)

After stopping the recording you’ll be prompted to save the audio file(s) - ”E” saves them.

To retrieve the recordings from your scanner and put them on your computer:

You can either remove the SD card from the scanner and connect it to your computer, or you can use the USB cable to connect your scanner to your computer (using USB Mass Storage).

Next, use your Windows Explorer to locate either the scanner or SD card depending upon which connection option you’ve chosen. Either way it will show up as a Removable Disk on your computer.

Navigate to the following (where Z is that Removable Disk): Z\BCDx36HP\audio\user_rec. There will be one or more file folders that are date and time stamped, depending upon the number and size of the recordings. There’s also an “inner_rec”, but the one you are interested in is “user_rec”.

Copy and paste the file folder(s) to your computer. (I have a folder on my computer called “536 Recordings” where I save my recordings).

Then navigate to where you’ve saved those files on your computer. Open a folder and the recordings will appear. You may have to click “View” toward the top of your computer screen to add columns which display the Title and Authors. Title is the Channel Name and Authors is the System Name.

medic29

Premium Subscriber
Cool, I'll have to check that out in the morning when I get home.

SCPD

QRT
You can also listen to them on your Scanner by going to Setting Replay option and review Recordings

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Sorry dont mean to bump an old thread, but this the best one to ask the question I have. And this thread has good info to help others.

My question: When recording, does it record 24/7 with dead air? Or just voice comms?

Voyager

Just active transmissions. If the transmission has dead air, it is recorded. If there is no transmission being received, nothing is recorded.

Just try it. You will see quickly what it does. (if you have an x36 scanner...)

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Just active transmissions. If the transmission has dead air, it is recorded. If there is no transmission being received, nothing is recorded.

Just try it. You will see quickly what it does. (if you have an x36 scanner...)

Thanks.

I do not own one. But was wondering, because I might pick one up in the future (or hope so lol)

Voyager

I would bet if you looked up "BCD436HP BCD536HP recordings" on YouTube there are videos of recordings being played back.

Salvation

I know this is an older thread but its on topic..

Is there any way to just always record audio and when the card is filled up (or 75% full) it starts erasing the old stuff? I really am just looking for a longer Replay than the 240sec it gives you. 240 seconds would even be fine if they would hold on to all transmissions up to 240 seconds and start clearing the older transmissions when it gets over 240 seconds rather than just getting rid of any transmission older than 240 seconds.

marksmith

I know of no way to do either of those things. Either automatically start recording or automatically start deleting recordibgs.

With a 16 gig card, you can record for months, so once a month you could delete some old stuff. You just have to turn on record each time you turn it on.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure how Recording works when the SD card approaches full (deletes oldest then continues to record new or simply stops recording). You can manage your Recordings, such as deleting, via the scanner menu.

It's kind of an "apples and pears" situation. Replay is there so you can listen back to something if you just missed something and want to hear it again. Recording is something you might want to listen to at a later date.

For what it's worth, 4 minutes (240 seconds) is a pretty long time. Around my area, radios have their "Time Out" settings at 1 minute. That's where if a radio is transmitting too long, either accidentally pressing the button or being long winded, the radio stops transmitting and the user gets an alert tone.

marksmith

When the SD card approaches full, it stops recording. I think it gives a full message.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Status
Not open for further replies.