Audio Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
I don't have internet in my shack, so is there away to record with ProScan and using the front Headphone jack or the rear speaker output on the rear of the SDS 200 scanner.
Thank-you
N9PVW

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
You don't need "Internet", you just need an ethernet connection / IP address. Do you have an old WiFi access point (with ethernet ports) that has a built in router? Or an old router?

Or....
You can use USB / serial to control the scanner. And, then use an audio cable (like people do w/ Proscan and an SDS100) Note: people sometimes get 'data noise' when using an audio cable. Suggested you use a ground loop isolator to mitigate this noise.

Last edited:

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
You don't need "Internet", you just need an ethernet connection / IP address. Do you have an old WiFi access point (with ethernet ports) that has a built in router? Or an old router?

Or....
You can use USB / serial to control the scanner. And, then use an audio cable (like people do w/ Proscan and an SDS100) Note: people sometimes get 'data noise' when using an audio cable. Suggested you use a ground loop isolator to mitigate this noise.

Thanks for your reply Nessnet, one question, do I leave the USB cable plugged in..I have a 5 port Linksys hub. I will give is a try..Again thank-you Sir

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply Nessnet, one question, do I leave the USB cable plugged in..I have a 5 port Linksys hub. I will give is a try..Again thank-you Sir
I wanted to ask you how things are with your new SDS200. I am about ready to order one myself. I saw in an earlier post from beginning of month where you ordered one and obviously have it now. I think I will go through Scanner Master and hope I get a flawless one!

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Vibrato, the scanner is working perfect.. No display or sound problems. I have had it on probably ten hours per day, for two weeks. I also got it from scanner master. I wouldn't use the free shipping, I did and it was sent by mail, there was seven stops before I got it. The package was banged up badly, but scanner was ok.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Vibrato, the scanner is working perfect.. No display or sound problems. I have had it on probably ten hours per day, for two weeks. I also got it from scanner master. I wouldn't use the free shipping, I did and it was sent by mail, there was seven stops before I got it. The package was banged up badly, but scanner was ok.
Great, glad to hear that cause I just ordered mine tonight. Got it from scanner master too but opted for priority shipping for $20 more. They are only 1 hour north of me so radio might be here Saturday afternoon if I am lucky. Still feeling intimidated though! I have Sentinel all set up ready to upload my systems to scanner.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
Great, glad to hear that cause I just ordered mine tonight. Got it from scanner master too but opted for priority shipping for $20 more. They are only 1 hour north of me so radio might be here Saturday afternoon if I am lucky. Still feeling intimidated though! I have Sentinel all set up ready to upload my systems to scanner.
I did the something, has Sentinel, and ProScan setup. I'm 100% recommending ProScan if you don't have it. Once you get playing with the scanner, you'll find just how much fun it is. Enjoy your new toy, I am. If I can help you with anything, feel free to txt me.
N9PVW
Rick

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I did the something, has Sentinel, and ProScan setup. I'm 100% recommending ProScan if you don't have it. Once you get playing with the scanner, you'll find just how much fun it is. Enjoy your new toy, I am. If I can help you with anything, feel free to txt me.
N9PVW
Rick
OK Rick thank you. I do have registered version of Proscan. Not sure how to set up Proscan with "favorite" lists. I am a HAM too, W1AV but inactive these days. I do have Sentinel ready to go (hopefully) and if I can manage to upload the systems to the radio with no glitches then I am set for a while. I am guessing you can only upload ONE system at a time to the radio? I have 6 systems total that is in ONE favorites list. But I want to put each of those 6 systems into their own quick key. That way I know where each system resides and if I want to mute/unmute any specific one(s) I can. All P25 systems. I will just keep P25 / P25 Simulcast systems programmed for now. The rest of my scanning is done with BCT15X. Still experimenting with antennas.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel, all systems are written to the scanner at the same time. In fact, that's the only way.
To assign System Quick Keys to the systems. Go to Favorites Editor and you should get a screen like this. Change the SQK then exit out. Click Yes when prompted to Save.

View attachment 85310
Rick here are 2 pictures of Sentinel where I set quick keys and other data. Have a look and see if it looks OK. One photo is the quick keys set and the other photo is my favorites list with the 6 separate P25 systems. So when I upload to radio it will place all these 6 systems in the right quick keys?

Attachments

• systems.JPG
    systems.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Sentinel & systems.JPG
    Sentinel & systems.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 13

WB9YBM

I've heard about / seen digital recorders that look like a pen so recording methods are out there that don't (at least initially) require a computer...

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I've heard about / seen digital recorders that look like a pen so recording methods are out there that don't (at least initially) require a computer...
How would that work? Is it VOX operated or do they need to be turned on every transmission? What about background noise? How would you know the channel of the recording?

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
OK Rick thank you. I do have registered version of Proscan. Not sure how to set up Proscan with "favorite" lists. I am a HAM too, W1AV but inactive these days. I do have Sentinel ready to go (hopefully) and if I can manage to upload the systems to the radio with no glitches then I am set for a while. I am guessing you can only upload ONE system at a time to the radio? I have 6 systems total that is in ONE favorites list. But I want to put each of those 6 systems into their own quick key. That way I know where each system resides and if I want to mute/unmute any specific one(s) I can. All P25 systems. I will just keep P25 / P25 Simulcast systems programmed for now. The rest of my scanning is done with BCT15X. Still experimenting with antennas.
I have 7 conv. System And one trunk. I had two trunks, but removed one because it slow the scanner down. I own a BCD996P2 and set that one up with the other trunk system. You can import sentinel files with Proscan. Have been a ham for 28 years, still enjoying very much. Have a safe and bless Holiday

WB9YBM

How would that work? Is it VOX operated or do they need to be turned on every transmission? What about background noise? How would you know the channel of the recording?

If I remember correctly, they have an on/off function although I'd assume the fancier ones may have a VOX. I haven't experimented with one first-hand so I don't know about background noise--I'd assume it depends on either microphone sensitivity or sensitivity setting. The recording devices I've seen have only one channel; if you're recording something from a scanner you'd either have to leave the scanner on the frequency you want to record, or write it down as the scanner scans past (and locks) on the frequency in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.