Audio recordings of NORAD comms on 9/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

I wonder where the base for 234.6 was since they said they lost comms with the Langley fighters at low altitude over DC.

This article really shows how unprepared we were then. Only 4 fighters for the whole NE corner of the US! Like the Russians were still going to come flying down the east coast. SHeeesh! I hope things have improved since then.

TinEar

The 234.6 freq is one of the HUNTRESS (NORAD Ground Controller) freqs that was favored at the time. Now they favor 228.9 and 260.9 for the D.C. area. HUNTRESS can transmit from several locations depending on need. Even around the D.C. area, we can hear the HUNTRESS ground station talk to one aircraft and be unreadable and to the next aircraft be loud and clear.

One of the lessons learned during 9/11 and just general experience since then has been to keep one of the fighters on a high cover that can also relay comms to and from the aircraft that is/are down low during an intercept. They still have the same problem trying to hear the fighter down at a couple of thousand feet altitude. Constant practice since 9/11 has them in much better condition to perform intercepts -- if the correct information comes to the controller in charge of moving the fighters to the intercept area. The level of confusion of the FAA controllers is still a big unknown question in a real world situation. They do extremely well in practice.

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
I can not get any audio from the page. Anyone capture the audio and save as mp3 or wav files that you could share?

Thanks.

gcgrotz

gcgrotz said:
I wonder where the base for 234.6 was since they said they lost comms with the Langley fighters at low altitude over DC.

This article really shows how unprepared we were then. Only 4 fighters for the whole NE corner of the US! Like the Russians were still going to come flying down the east coast. SHeeesh! I hope things have improved since then.

I guess we saw yesterday that we are better prepared than 5 years ago.....

I'm going to go look for those NORAD freqs and get them loaded inow.

TinEar

George, if you check the Maryland MilAir forum, I posted my scanner bank that contains the HUNTRESS (NORAD) freqs that I monitor. I'm slowly but surely posting all my MilAir freqs on that thread. I've posted three banks so far and four to go.

gcgrotz

Thanks, I'll get to that and see.

If you ever need anything else down here let me know, I will consider you a first class friend and respond accordingly.

TinEar

And thanks go in your direction too. I should have specified the Maryland Sticky Thread for MilAir II is where I'm posting the freqs. The first thread got so long with thousands of replies - and popular with over 100,000 page views - that finding anything became impossible so we started a second thread.

gcgrotz

Thanks, I'll go get that list and add it to the files. I got my scanner antenna up Saturday at about 30ft. I figured I would, and I do, have a problem with a paging tx on 158 at a hospital about 3/4 mile away. It messes up VHF air a little but really tears up my railroad and state pd monitoring. I guess I'll have to get PAR to build me a notch filter. Can't tell if it bothers UHF air yet. This is all on an AOR8200. Other than that it works good. I can copy the ATIS from CHO (but not the tower) about 6 miles away over hilly terrain.

TinEar

Your first link works if you get rid of the backslash after the .pdf.

That NORAD info is good but is a bit overripe from age. There is no longer a NEADS and SEADS. Everything east of the Mississippi now is one, big, happy family called simply EADS - Eastern Air Defense Sector and will soon change again to just EDS.

kmacka

TinEar said:
Your first link works if you get rid of the backslash after the .pdf.

That NORAD info is good but is a bit overripe from age. There is no longer a NEADS and SEADS. Everything east of the Mississippi now is one, big, happy family called simply EADS - Eastern Air Defense Sector and will soon change again to just EDS.

I wasn't aware of that change. Is Rome, NY still the headquarters for EADS? Also are all NORAD operations moved out of Cheyenne Mountain to Florida?

rjviola12

From something I saw on TV a short while ago, I believe that the folks at Tyndall AFB is the base that controls the whole area East of the Mississippi, and possibly more.

splash1

Premium Subscriber
mancow said:
Got any norad freqs for the central US?

Here are a few active Norads that i have heard from eastern Iowa.

293.600 Nationwide
228.900 Nationwide
271.000 Blue 15
364.200 AICC Primary

TinEar: Thanks for the heads up on the bad link.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.