Audio stream at work

Status
Not open for further replies.

wqhz937

Premium Subscriber
Hello all. I have a slight dilemma and I’m hoping someone on this board has encountered this before. I am currently using ProScan to run both a web server and RSoIP so that I can listen to my scanner which is set up with family in a different state. When I’m at home, I run RSoIP to my PC and everything is great. However, I also like to listen at my desk at work, especially when there’s an incident going on. Recently, my employer has been ratcheting up network security on both the internal network and guest Wifi, causing my IP and dynamic DNS address to be blocked. Asking for an exception is not an option, I tried. My only option is to stream it on my phone, which is burning through my data plan.

Since I constantly change up the scanned frequencies and programming on my scanner, I don’t feel hosting it on broadcastify (which is not blocked) would be a good option (unless “so-and-so’s play scanner” would be a valid stream name). My question: does anyone have any suggestions for broadcasting my scanner audio to a streaming service with a “real” DNS name so that I can keep listening in my office at work?

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
I was in this boat for a while too. My ISP blocks port 80 incoming as well as 8080. My work IT blocks ports and TCP/UDP on certain ports too. So I feel your pain.

However, I pay for VPS services to host my websites and my own Icecast service. Icecast has a "real" domain name and an IP address and is also open on port 80 for streaming, which is what HTTP uses.

I'm able to listen to anything I want to hear from my office using this setup as long as I use windows media player. If I use Winamp, the connection takes too long and fails.

You'll need some basic linux knowledge on how to set it up, but the price point on the VPS service may be a bit more than you want, or it could be cheaper than paying for unlimited data.

DC31

Feed Provider
Try using Zello with VOX enabled on the PC doing the streaming. Then use the Zello app either on your phone or the PC at work. With VOX, it only uses data when someone is talking. It does not stream blank air like most others.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Use a VPN app on your phone, unless that is blocked by your employer. The VPN becomes your portal to the outside world.

Status
Not open for further replies.