Audio tweaks for Fleetnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Hi all,

I recently picked up a 396xt and thanks to this site, Freescan, and search results on this forum, I have Fleetnet up and running with relative ease. This is my first trunking scanner and while I understand the principles and concept of trunking, I see there are still some settings that are unique to each system for best results.

From information gleaned in these forums, I have decided that the best way to setup Fleetnet is to have each zone as it's own system and have each tower as it's own site within that system.

From reading other posts It appears the following settings work well to get the best audio possible:

APCO Mode: MAN
Threshold: 5
Modulation: NFM
Analog AGC: ON
Digital AGC : ON
P25 Wait Time: N/A

Not sure yet what seems to be optimal values for Response Time, Reference Gain, and Dynamic Range.
Is there any other settings that you have found to improve the audio quality on Fleetnet or other MOT type II systems?

Thanks!

uncleblackie

So, from reading more forum posts, it appears the following AGC settings work well.

Analog AGC -3/-2/+11
Digital AGC -7/+3

This is not fleetnet specific, and I don't have anything else to use as a reference point for comparison seeing as this is my first digital scanner, but I have plugged in these values and they do seem to improve the audio quality somewhat.

As was mentioned by UPman in another thread, the changes these values make are subtle, so I am not expecting anything dramatic.

So lets get this discussion going.
How about everyone post what works for them on Fleetnet so we can plug in different values for comparison?

Both Threshold and AGC settings please.

69stiles

I've had the above settings now for a couple days. I get a bit more machine gunning & OPP sounds a bit more warbly. I think I'll go back to what it was at. Wishing I wrote down what that was

uncleblackie

I have no machine gunning (motorboating) at all on mine with those settings.
I usually monitor the Powassan tower which gives me a signal strength of 7 to 8 (in Freescan).
Maybe if the tower you are trying to decode is not as strong you may experience some of these problems???
Maybe it's possible that if the signal isn't as strong as it needs to be to decode properly, the scanner may interpret it as an analog signal, hence the motorboating sound?
Sounds like it might be a threshold issue? I would play with that value first.
It obviously worked for you before so I'm sure you can get it back.

Not sure, as I mentioned this is my first digital scanner so I am still learning the quirks of digital reception myself.

69stiles

Yes I have pretty much the same radio/996xt/Great idea for this thread. I was hoping more input would materialise but maybe most are new to these digital settings as well

Status
Not open for further replies.