Aurora Fire Master Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LMJ

I was talking to an AFD Lt the other day and found some interesting news out about the AFD. Their master buildout plan is to have 32 stations in the next 15-25 years. They have station 14 built right now and plan to be staffing it in the next 6mos. Station 14 will be a combo ARFF/structual station at Front Range Airport. The major heavy carriers (UPS, FedEX, etc) will be leaving DIA and using Front Range for all logistical work very soon. Sorry, didn't have time to talk about the ProVoice :blushes:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
MrSpeakEZJr said:
I was talking to an AFD Lt the other day and found some interesting news out about the AFD. Their master buildout plan is to have 32 stations in the next 15-25 years. They have station 14 built right now and plan to be staffing it in the next 6mos. Station 14 will be a combo ARFF/structual station at Front Range Airport. The major heavy carriers (UPS, FedEX, etc) will be leaving DIA and using Front Range for all logistical work very soon. Sorry, didn't have time to talk about the ProVoice :blushes:

The other interesting thing that does for them is really lay a footprint out east, will be interesting to see the impact on Sable and Bennett.

All I've heard is no plans for FD to go provoice, just PD as they currently are.

Jim<

cstockmyer

added info

MrSpeakEZJr said:

So they are finally going to make the move? They have a nice big pad out there, that is where I did the driving part of the academy. It's always been rumored to be happening, but DIA did all that expansion on the Cargo ramp to keep them there I thought. Maybe they are only going to move the cargo jumpers?

Also thr runways are kind of short for the big birds...08/26 8000
17/35 8000

Last edited:

KB9LMJ

DIA also built that huge runway on the West side too, but from what I understand, all the heavy cargo aircraft are going there. DIA, I guess, I getting too busy for the logistics air.

MikeyB

MrSpeakEZJr said:

I thought Station #14 was the Quartermater facility on Aurora Pkwy. Anyways, it's interested about Front Range Airport, because I thought it was not in Aurora City limits.

cstockmyer

MrSpeakEZJr said:
DIA also built that huge runway on the West side too, but from what I understand, all the heavy cargo aircraft are going there. DIA, I guess, I getting too busy for the logistics air.

Plus at front range-for now-no landing fees.

Troop

The airport itself is not in Aurora but the roads leading there are...Imboden Manila and 48th,....we have Troop office there.

KB9LMJ

MikeyB said:
I thought Station #14 was the Quartermater facility on Aurora Pkwy. Anyways, it's interested about Front Range Airport, because I thought it was not in Aurora City limits.
I can do some more prying, but I know that's been the talk for 4 years and now, I guess, it's 6mos from opening. :shrugs:

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
All of that is quite interesting. Aurora is so broke right now I would be very surprised to see them buildout at that rate within that time frame. They can't even staff their current stations as it is let alone build more. The taxpayers continue to vote down all request for increased taxes even though they earmark them for public safety.

I will start believing it when I see station 14 (the current station 14 which has layed domant for 1 1/2 years now) is staffed and operating. Until then it is just more hot air coming of Aurora's government and such.

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
Troop said:
The airport itself is not in Aurora but the roads leading there are...Imboden Manila and 48th,....we have Troop office there.

As of right now, I really do not see Aurora building a station at Front Range Airport. Station 14, currently Aurora Fire's quartermaster facility near the safeway store on Smoky Hill, is not manned, and is planned to be before any other stations are built. The plans for station 15 are in Murphy Creek, near Gunclub and Jewell, and they have even offered to build Aurora a modified house, like the original station 13, if they are able to staff it.

Currently, Front Range Airport is covered strictly by Bennett Fire. In response to the roads leading to Front Range, they are mostly covered by Adams County SO, not Aurora PD, atleast not Manilla and 48th, which are almost to the town of Bennett. Imboden may be, because it is near the post office at I-70 and Watkins, that Aurora has annexed, but I am not sure.

Bennett Fire, who currently responds about 20-50 calls a year at Front Range, covers the town of Bennett, as well as Watkins until the Airpark exit, which is Sable's area. From a couple sources that I have heard from, Sable Altura plans to build two new stations with the six million dollar bond that they recieved, one on Watkins Road, and the other on Tower Road. I am not sure how they are planning to do this, but I suppose we will see.

I understand that the I-70 corridor Fire Department Boards have also established plans to build another, fully manned, station at Front Range Airport, done again through Bennett Fire, but once again, I really dont see it happening.

Just my $0.08

Troop

ROOFLIFECO said:
As of right now, I really do not see Aurora building a station at Front Range Airport. Station 14, currently Aurora Fire's quartermaster facility near the safeway store on Smoky Hill, is not manned, and is planned to be before any other stations are built. The plans for station 15 are in Murphy Creek, near Gunclub and Jewell, and they have even offered to build Aurora a modified house, like the original station 13, if they are able to staff it.

Currently, Front Range Airport is covered strictly by Bennett Fire. In response to the roads leading to Front Range, they are mostly covered by Adams County SO, not Aurora PD, atleast not Manilla and 48th, which are almost to the town of Bennett. Imboden may be, because it is near the post office at I-70 and Watkins, that Aurora has annexed, but I am not sure.

Bennett Fire, who currently responds about 20-50 calls a year at Front Range, covers the town of Bennett, as well as Watkins until the Airpark exit, which is Sable's area. From a couple sources that I have heard from, Sable Altura plans to build two new stations with the six million dollar bond that they recieved, one on Watkins Road, and the other on Tower Road. I am not sure how they are planning to do this, but I suppose we will see.

I understand that the I-70 corridor Fire Department Boards have also established plans to build another, fully manned, station at Front Range Airport, done again through Bennett Fire, but once again, I really dont see it happening.

Just my $0.08

All the roads leading to the airport are in the city of Aurora, 48th from Imboden to Manila, Manila south to Co.36...and portions of Imboden to the north. Adams county S.O. only covers roads inside the town of Watkins which picks up at the post office west to Hudson Road, excluding the intersection of Watkins and Colfax. Hudson Road to the north is in Aurora too...although they never admit it...it's all theirs!....I work out of the Front Range airport and have the latest maps to prevent any "pawning" or instant deannexations

but I dont see any thing happening out there for a long time anyway, they've been talking about the cargo thing for years...they have along way to go...Aurora Streets cant even get the potholes patched up fast enough on Manila.....The thing with Sable and Bennett is going to be interesting..they're already in a fight over a contract on Watkins.

Last edited:

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hey Troop -
Totally off-topic (my apologies) but still regarding jurisdiction around DIA....
A few months ago on a rollover on the west side of DIA, one of your supvs claimed it was ours instead of theirs/Adams Co. However, although most of that stretch between 114th and 96th is owned by DIA, it's outside the city limits, according to our maps. Since our policy is don't argue, I dropped it (plus, my partner agreed to do the paper.) We own a lot of property, but ownership (in DIA's case) doesn't translate to annexed city territory! Give me a call sometime and I'll show you around.

Troop

was that the roll over that everybody and their brother was looking for?...Think it was on Hayesmount or she crashed thru the DIA fence?....I remember getting called to that if it is the same crash...but got cancelled since it was in 1D or Denver.........We have the same dont argue policy..but I never have a partner to take the paper..what's up with that!

I was actually shocked to find out that a small portion of E470 was in the city and county.....of course this is after I had written about 50 Adams County Tickets in the honey hole!!!......are you L.E.?....PM me if so

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Now Bennett FD vollies running hot into town and requesting an AFD engine meet them to provide ALS.

Jim<

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Troop said:
was that the roll over that everybody and their brother was looking for?...Think it was on Hayesmount or she crashed thru the DIA fence?....I remember getting called to that if it is the same crash...but got cancelled since it was in 1D or Denver.........We have the same dont argue policy..but I never have a partner to take the paper..what's up with that!

I was actually shocked to find out that a small portion of E470 was in the city and county.....of course this is after I had written about 50 Adams County Tickets in the honey hole!!!......are you L.E.?....PM me if so

No, a SkyChef employee ran off the side of Quency and rolled a few times on her way to work, right at that culvert that looks like a bridge. There was a trooper with a rookie, another solo trooper, and a couple Brighton FPD trucks. They FFL'd the driver to DGH, but she survived OK.
The border along E470 is marked with "DC" or some such thing. I think the entire length in the city is around a mile and a half.
Yeah, I'll PM you, also.
Ger

KB9LMJ

ROOFLIFECO said:
As of right now, I really do not see Aurora building a station at Front Range Airport. Station 14, currently Aurora Fire's quartermaster facility near the safeway store on Smoky Hill, is not manned, and is planned to be before any other stations are built.

Are you talking about the new Cunningham 62 station at Smoky Hill and Buckley? That's not Aurora, that's going to replace 62s on Tower Rd. As far as the quartermaster's fac, I don't know, it used to be at Fits where all the hospitals are going now.

Rooflifeco said:
Currently, Front Range Airport is covered strictly by Bennett Fire.
True, but remember, a fire DISTRICT looses out to a MUNICIPAL agency that seeks to incoorporate that area unless a court decision can be reached.

And as far as I know, there's been talk about Aurora taking Front Range for years, but just last week the Lt I spoke to said 14s was built and waiting to be manned at Front Range. They have an academy on right now and plan on 3 more back to back academies in the next 14 mos.

Troop

MrSpeakEZJr said:
Are you talking about the new Cunningham 62 station at Smoky Hill and Buckley? That's not Aurora, that's going to replace 62s on Tower Rd. As far as the quartermaster's fac, I don't know, it used to be at Fits where all the hospitals are going now.

True, but remember, a fire DISTRICT looses out to a MUNICIPAL agency that seeks to incoorporate that area unless a court decision can be reached.

And as far as I know, there's been talk about Aurora taking Front Range for years, but just last week the Lt I spoke to said 14s was built and waiting to be manned at Front Range. They have an academy on right now and plan on 3 more back to back academies in the next 14 mos.

if he told you that a station was built at the airport he's incorrect...there's no station out there, unless they're using the new hanger they just built last month.

MikeyB

MrSpeakEZJr said:

Not talking about Cunningham 62. There is a facility off of E-470 and Aurora Pkwy. that is the Quartermaster facility and I've seen referred to as Aurora #14. I'm confused about this whole deal!

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
OK, to clarify for those that are not clear.

Gartrail and e470 aurora fd built a fire station, a rather nice one actually and named it station 14. This station was completed about 18 months ago. About a year ago after aurora taxpayers once again voted down a tax increase and it was at this time that AFD went to station 14 and changed the sign to read "AFD Quartermaster".

When it comes to Cunningham, the next station 62 was finished in mid August and is still being outfitted and will become occupied in the next few weeks. Like earlier posted, this station was built to replace the station 62 located on tower rd near smoky hill road.

As for front range airport, I don't know of a station that is out there. Personally I don't think Aurora has any business ever pursuing front range airport since they can't even adequatly cover their present response areas.

The build out plan stated by the "aurora lt" is a little far fetched. Maybe some one in AFD's command staff think they can build out like the LT stated. Maybe I would believe it more if they would start manning and covering the area that they presently have. Currently the response times for all of Aurora's annexation area that is located east of e470 is and north of stay quincy is inadequate in my opinion since all you have is station 13 (arapahoe/e470/aurora pkwy area) and the rest of the response comes from station 10 and 5 I beleive and those stations are in the city area way west of e470 with very limited access and routes available to the east.

But that is just my opinion. And nope, I don't live in Aurora, but south of it.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Agree Dave they don't cover that portion of there district very well and ever catch them scrambling where there are two calls at the same time far SE.

Very little use of the available and often closer resources such as Parker and Cunningham as well, of course Action Care can't even legally operate on a 911 call in the Aurora boundaries but that's another discussion all together.

A smart resident is going to ask the questions sometime why response time for the first due was 20 minutes when the closest unit, E-63 was not even dispatched and similiar such debates.

BTW: What's the station that looks like a private home with bigger garage doors? That was built, completed and unstaffed for a long time.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.