Aurora/Naperville OpenSky System

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
A Starcom patch might have been used (there is one listed for Aurora). Or the change units might have been given a portable to use.
AFAIK, not all of the DEDIRS (DuPage Emergency Dispatch Interoperable Radio System, aka DuPage SC21 talkgroups) were built out. The Naperville FD patches were only completed a year or two ago, and I don't ever remember hearing activity on DEDIRS patch talkgroups originally set aside for Naperville PD, NWCD Police, Will County, Aurora or Elgin. I believe that some of these patch talkgroup may have even been repurposed.

officerdave

Retired LEO
AFAIK, not all of the DEDIRS (DuPage Emergency Dispatch Interoperable Radio System, aka DuPage SC21 talkgroups) were built out. The Naperville FD patches were only completed a year or two ago, and I don't ever remember hearing activity on DEDIRS patch talkgroups originally set aside for Naperville PD, NWCD Police, Will County, Aurora or Elgin. I believe that some of these patch talkgroup may have even been repurposed.
Kevin You are correct DEDIRS now has 8 talk-groups for interops with outside DEDIRS agencies. Our application for use of those is still sitting on my desk.

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Aurora & Naperville recently renewed their licences through 2030 and it shows the OpenSky emission for all frequencies. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a P25 system in the future, but then again, a lot can happen in 10 years.

jx87jx

Aurora & Naperville recently renewed their licences through 2030 and it shows the OpenSky emission for all frequencies. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a P25 system in the future, but then again, a lot can happen in 10 years.

Doing a modification to add or change emissions is very easy to do. They don’t need to wait 10 years for that to happen, IF that’s what they are going to do. They could always go the Starcom route too.... time will tell

officerdave

Retired LEO
Time will tell. It just is a matter of funding . Do not expect a forklift upgrade to the current system.

radio36

Thanks for the info. During the protests Aurora requested a Box Change of Quaters. I'm assuming the FDs that went had no way of advising Aurora Dispatch that they were in route.

Aurora has permanent patches from the OpenSky system to IFERN, IFERN2 and various other VHF/UHF/800 interop frequencies.

The police side often patches with ITTF REG 3B. During the protests, Aurora PD had active OpenSky-STARCOM patches on ITTF RGB 2A, 3B and 9B.

ltginrage

I was looking at the database page for the system today. Why would they need a site on the Sears Tower? I'm guessing its for travel or interop but it dont make sense since the site can barely reach to eastern edge of Naperville.

ltginrage

Is Aurora University Security/PD on the system? I was told no activity on the UHF freq in the database.

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
Aurora-Naperville will come down to when L3Harris decides to no longer support OpensSky and they will then force a migration. It's a OLD system designed by computer nerds for Fedex. It was never meant to be a voice system and while it has been greatly improved over the years it's a oddball product and one that Harris never actually wanted in their portfolio of products. They got stuck with it as the original system was bid by M/A-COM.

apco25

Batlabs OG
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica
I was looking at the database page for the system today. Why would they need a site on the Sears Tower? I'm guessing its for travel or interop but it dont make sense since the site can barely reach to eastern edge of Naperville.

There is no site in Chicago. Looks like there is an error in the FCC ULS when this frequency was obtained by Naperville, if it all. Ive submitted to teh DB to correct this as well as the incorrect county for the sites in Naperville. Those are all in DuPage County.

Naperville has a statewide TG on Starcom21 for such uses.

officerdave

Retired LEO
Ive submitted to teh DB to correct this as well as the incorrect county for the sites in Naperville. Those are all in DuPage County.

Naperville has a statewide TG on Starcom21 for such uses.
[/QUOTE]

Do you mean there are no OPEN SKY sites in the Will County side of Naperville?

Bri112233445

Feed Provider
@officerdave was just wondering if that always active patch on Will Co esda to Naperville fire department is still working, just recently upgraded my antenna can flawlessly here DuPage County and Will County but i don't here any activity on that patch is it still active

Last edited:

officerdave

Retired LEO
@officerdave was just wondering if that always active patch on Will Co esda to Naperville fire department is still working, just recently upgraded my antenna can flawlessly here DuPage County and Will County but i don't here any activity on that patch is it still active
Not sure I do not know of the Will County ESDA Patch ..... WESCOM has one for FIre , that is only used on request from both agencies as I understand.

jx87jx

The edacs system is pretty much depreciated, The Will County P25 Atlas system has since replaced it. I would imagine that patch has been removed for quite some time. Your not going to hear the SC21 Naperville FD Dispatch or Fireground patch unless a SC21 radio affiliates with that specific talkgroup. Warrenville, LWFD, DG and Plainfield would be your best bet for towns that would enable the patch when running auto or mutual aid.

If your really lucky, a Naperville FD officer will enable the patch themselves by switching their portable to the SC21. Over the past year or so every officer was issued a SC21 capable portable. SC21 has been used during OpenSky scheduled maintenance and outages

Last edited:

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I think aurora used a ITTF TG last time there system was being repaired 30XXX

jx87jx

Your correct, I think it was either 3A or 3B. A bunch of portables were loaned out from the dupage county cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.