Austin Ferret Antenna

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased the Austin Ferret Antenna from Scanner Master, had to try it. It didn't come with any installation instructions, It came with a mast pipe I assume slides over the white part at the end by the coax connection. That's the way I did it, then mounted that pole to the mast. Not too happy with it right now, giving it a chance. I've contacted scanner master by email, have not got a reply. Could I have got a bad one? Or a used one? Just looking for some thoughts on the installation and all. Thanks.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Not too happy with it right now, giving it a chance. I've contacted scanner master by email, have not got a reply. Could I have got a bad one? Or a used one? Just looking for some thoughts on the installation and all. Thanks.
I had one years ago, an extremely poor performer and definitely not worth even 1/4 the money it sells for. Mine ended up in the dumpster after a very short period of use.

Check through these posts for experiences others have had...

officer58

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to update on the antenna. I kept it up. I have the whistler trx-2 radio. I think my problem was in my programming . But I'm pretty happy with the antenna. Doing a great job, pulling in 60 miles away. So for now, I'm leaving it up doing good.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to update on the antenna. I kept it up. I have the whistler trx-2 radio. I think my problem was in my programming . But I'm pretty happy with the antenna. Doing a great job, pulling in 60 miles away. So for now, I'm leaving it up doing good.
I'm curious, what band/frequency is it performing well on?

officer58

Premium Subscriber
Honestly, it does well on everything I monitor, from law enforcement , railroads, air, ems, ham radio, state police. I've used all the diamond antennas also.

prcguy

Honestly, it does well on everything I monitor, from law enforcement , railroads, air, ems, ham radio, state police. I've used all the diamond antennas also.
What model Diamond antenna? If they were amateur versions those don’t work well at air band or RR or most commercial freqs and a lousy antenna can work better outside the ham bands. That’s why I always ask compared to what.

bdaughton22

Premium Subscriber
Same experience in the Hudson Valley (NY), pulling 5 counties, all bands, and a less than perfect setup due to HOA restrictions

officer58

Premium Subscriber
I'm confused. See your own post #1 that started this thread. That wasn't a complaint? What changed?
Well, really not sure, but I took it down and redid everything, and when I put it back up all was good. I did move it some, got a little farther away from a cell tower, so could have been it. But right now, it is doing good.